General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

what sort of racks fit the Max?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2000, 10:03 AM

Whiteface Mountain, Lake Placid reports they are now open for boarding and skiing> I wanna go real bad..real soon. Does anyone have any roof rack recommendations??? I'd like something that can do double duty: skiis in winter, canoe in summer.thanks! where to order, best prices etc. would be helpful too

Old 11-23-2000, 11:34 AM
blew226

I like Thule racks the best

They are about 10-15% cheaper than Yakima racks and I like that the bars are square rather than round. I had some Yakima racks before and the round bars actually spun and put a lot of stress on my road bike. You can find them online, I forget where though.

Old 11-23-2000, 12:58 PM

I like Thule better as well

But I cycle, so I'm not sure if the attachment options are better on Yakima racks for snowboards and canoes, in particular. I would stick to Thule or Yakima though. Try http://www.sportsrack.com/ for online (I've been to one of their brick & mortar stores) or REI (both online or retail).
Old 11-24-2000, 06:57 AM

Heh. I've got a rack on my roof already, but I could certainly used some more stacked racks in the car

Yakima and Thule are comparable in price and features, though there might be one attachment or one special deal that'll push you off the fence to one side or the other. Both have websites that can tell you exactly what you need for the Max.

I've had my Yakima rack for a year and a half, on two different cars, and it's been great. Hauled bikes, skis, and snowboards though all kinds of weather and at all kinds of speeds and it never flinched. Even hauled my bike all the way from Jersey to California.

Place I got it from was http://www.rackwarehouse.com - they had pretty good prices at the time.
Old 11-24-2000, 02:24 PM

Botos...

Your Maxima is awesome...and I love how the pic fades at the edges like that...sweet!!
Old 11-24-2000, 10:19 PM
Finally, A New Status Title...How About Donating Maxima.org Member...Oh wait...NO!!!

Thule is good

but i really can't recommend anyplace to get it. the racks themselves(which are bars, thule=square, yakima=round) are universal and the only difference are the footpacks which secure you're rack(bars) to the roof and door well of your car. thule was a little cheaper than Yakima, and i believe they both have ski and canoe attachment capability. one thing to tell you is that from where ever you get a rack from if they push an install charge tell them no thankyou, its pretty much a no brainer, save the 30 bucks for dinner and a beer. my kit is on a 98 Max and cost around 400 for everything, the rack, two bike mounts, locks for the bike mounts and the rack itself, and the front flare (which is supposed to be an aerodynamic improvement but i think just looks hella nice)

Jules
Old 11-25-2000, 03:46 PM

Re: Botos...

Originally posted by Nick
Your Maxima is awesome...and I love how the pic fades at the edges like that...sweet!!
Thanks! I jokingly tell people that I had to find a black Maxima so it'd match the roof rack. The picture fade isn't too hard to do; email me if you want to know the technique.
Old 11-25-2000, 08:05 PM
pomerm

Does anyone intend on getting a nose guard/bra for their max?