General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Performance shop couldnt get one of my spark plugs out, what do I do?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2002, 01:03 AM

Performance shop couldnt get one of my spark plugs out, what do I do?

I had my nitrous intalled at a local performance shop here in town that is supposed to be very good. Anyway, they intalled my nitrous and everything went fine but when they installed my spark plugs they got 5 changed and then said that one of them was rounded off and they couldnt get it out. I dont know if it was rounded off when I took it in or if they did it but I dont know what to do. I cant take it to Nissan here because they yelled at me when I had them do something and all I had was an intake, I doubt theyll touch my car now that I have nitrous installed. I have 5 plugs in there that are 2 steps colder than stock and then I have one ngk plug left in there. What do I do? will this hurt my car? the performance without the nitrous actually seems better since I got the other plugs in but I dont know if having 5 of one type of plugs and one of another will hurt my car. How can I get the one out that they said is rounded off? They said they tried all different sizes of sockets. Can someone please help? Thanks!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-11-2002, 01:25 AM

your car is totalled. see if insurance will cover the damages. good luck!
Old 04-11-2002, 04:15 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by black019
your car is totalled. see if insurance will cover the damages. good luck!
Can't he drill the spark plug and pull it out?
Old 04-11-2002, 04:57 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Originally posted by SonicDust187

Can't he drill the spark plug and pull it out?
Pieces might fallinto the cylinder, and that would be all bad.

This cant be the first time this has ever happened. Unfortunately, I have no idea how to get it out either...
Old 04-11-2002, 05:18 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Get a flash light and find the plug they claim is rounded off. There are tools available to take care of things like that. Go find a vey good automotive repair facility, talk to the people and tell them your problem. I'm sure you can find somebody to remove it for you.

Some options to remove rounded bolts/studs/plugs?? Bang a slightly smaller 12 point socket it so it bits hard, then try your luck. Check a hardware store for special tools, even Sears might have something.

Most of all, don't panic, you can always buy a new engine block if all else fails.
Old 04-11-2002, 07:44 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
Get a flash light and find the plug they claim is rounded off. There are tools available to take care of things like that. Go find a vey good automotive repair facility, talk to the people and tell them your problem. I'm sure you can find somebody to remove it for you.

Some options to remove rounded bolts/studs/plugs?? Bang a slightly smaller 12 point socket it so it bits hard, then try your luck. Check a hardware store for special tools, even Sears might have something.

Most of all, don't panic, you can always buy a new engine block if all else fails.
DO NOT HAMMER/BANG ANYTHING INTO THE ENGINE!!! geez! are u people insane! that's how u make a bad situation worst. get the right tool to do the job. don't jerry rig something that's critical to the engine.

ZWW: fire your mechanic ASAP!

find someone who has this or get a set and do this yourself. it has cutting teeth inside the socket to grab the rounded off edge of the spark plug.

1/2" DEEP TWIST SCKT SET 5 PC

- New deep well sockets can reach where standard Twist Sockets can't.
- Specially designed to remove rounded and damaged lug nuts, locks, bolts, and other fasteners.

http://www.matcotools.com/Catalog/to...&page=2&#37110
Old 04-11-2002, 08:04 AM

LoL DanNY, I got that set and I was gonna mention it, but you beat me to the punchline....

-Peace