General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

need help...fast!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2002, 05:41 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

need help...fast!

I'm having a problem with a stuck lug nut again. Can I use a drill and drill into the stud? Will the stud come off this way? I got two stuck lug nuts(tuner ones), one of them just have the stuck lug nut, but the other side has that plus this device that suppose help remove stuck lug nuts/wheel locks. That is now stuck too! Good thing it is hollow and I can fit a drill bit into there to get to the wheel stud. So, is it possible to get the stud off with a drill? Help!!!
Old 04-23-2002, 05:48 PM
SLOW

I think you would be drilling day and night to drill through a hardened steel stud. I'd just twist it off (breaking the stud) and replace the studs and lugnuts. Its not hard to replace them. I've done it tons of times.
Old 04-23-2002, 05:56 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

ya stand on the breaker bar if you have to and snap them, that will be easier.
Old 04-23-2002, 05:59 PM

Originally posted by Nealoc187
I think you would be drilling day and night to drill through a hardened steel stud. I'd just twist it off (breaking the stud) and replace the studs and lugnuts. Its not hard to replace them. I've done it tons of times.

What do you mean twisting it off? So how can you get the stud off? The tuner lug nuts are stripped, the key is stripped too.

Last time I let someone use an impact wrench on my wheels.
Old 04-23-2002, 06:29 PM

Well I got the one of the stuck lug nut off. However, the side with the darn wheel lock remover kit's device is still on there. I have to first get that off before I can try to take the other one off. It seem very loose(remover device), it can twisted back and forth easily. It just seem to be stuck and wouldn't come off. Arrghhhh!
Old 04-23-2002, 07:02 PM

Finally I'm done with this nuisance. I used a hex key to get the stripped lug nuts off. As far as the wheel lock removal device, I'm an idiot, all I had to do was turn back the other way and it came off...lol.

Still though, I thank you two for the suggestion.

Neal, anything new with the carbon fiber hood? Now I could close the hood better, but the passenger side still sticks up a bit. It's just enough that you could see imbalance between the two sides. I want perfection! Oh well, I'm going to work on the hood until it's right, doesn't matter how long it takes.
Old 04-23-2002, 09:05 PM

this seems to be a problem for you, only TQ yoru lugs to 85ft lbs and use some anti seaze, i never had a problem with mine on any cars i've owned.
Old 04-23-2002, 10:09 PM

Originally posted by dmbmaxima88
this seems to be a problem for you, only TQ yoru lugs to 85ft lbs and use some anti seaze, i never had a problem with mine on any cars i've owned.

Well I never had a problem with this if I do it myself. However, if I bring my car to service like mounting/balancing wheels/tires at a tire shop, they almost always tend to over torqued it.
Old 04-24-2002, 04:30 AM

Originally posted by Cumalot

Well I never had a problem with this if I do it myself. However, if I bring my car to service like mounting/balancing wheels/tires at a tire shop, they almost always tend to over torqued it.
ya the first thing i do when i get home is loosen them and torque thenm correctly after a shop does that.
Old 04-24-2002, 06:45 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: need help...fast!

Originally posted by Cumalot
I'm having a problem with a stuck lug nut again. Can I use a drill and drill into the stud? Will the stud come off this way? I got two stuck lug nuts(tuner ones), one of them just have the stuck lug nut, but the other side has that plus this device that suppose help remove stuck lug nuts/wheel locks. That is now stuck too! Good thing it is hollow and I can fit a drill bit into there to get to the wheel stud. So, is it possible to get the stud off with a drill? Help!!!

and in the future, put anti-seize on the lugs before you put the new nuts on.