General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Spring Questions- back springs in particular

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2002, 04:25 PM

Spring Questions- back springs in particular

OK I've searched and searched and searched. I'm looking for the performance of the rear springs in particular. I need the rear springs to be higher and ideally also stiffer then the front. This will be of interest to others who have stereo systems in the trunk. I have stereo and also have a trailer hitch which probably adds 40 pounds or so to the mix. If I have a trailer attached, its even worse.

This is what I've concluded so far.

Most say that Sprint springs are higher in the rear then the front, but I do not know about stiffer. Apparently Intrax's rears sit lower then the fronts, which is definately something I do not want (although in my old camry the Intrax had the rears higher then the front). Any other springs of consideration that will be stiffer in the rear and higher?

Also, do the AGX struts have different perches like the Koni's do?
Old 04-24-2002, 07:17 PM

What if you keep the springs you have, and try some spring spacers?

I think these can definitely keep your rear higher than usual and/or prevent bottoming out.
Old 04-24-2002, 08:13 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Spring Questions- back springs in particular

Let me help you out here, I have intrax springs with Konis as you just posted the rears have perches and the intrax spring will sit higher in the rear like a sprint spring if you set it to the top perch, Also you have to use a compressor to make that fit in there. If you drop the lower perch the gap will close but you wont have saggy rear because the Koni perch is like a cup so your spring will sit a bit higher preventing the rear from saggin. The AGX adjustables do not have perches, like Konis, how do I know I helped Mardigrasmax installed his, unlike Konis the adjusting **** is on the bottom of the shock making very accsessible unlike the Konis.
hope that helps, if you have stock shocks the rear will sag in the back with intrax but I take that back since I cut a coil off the front balancing the car to an even drop.
Old 04-24-2002, 09:11 PM

Re: What if you keep the springs you have, and try some spring spacers?

Originally posted by hokiemax
I think these can definitely keep your rear higher than usual and/or prevent bottoming out.
I used those on my old camry before I lowered it. I miss that lowered car ride. Spacers also will not help the lifted front end look I have now.

I'm still stuck though, if I decide to keep this car I'm gonna definately gonna lower it. I cant stand driving an unlowered car.
Old 04-27-2002, 08:30 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: What if you keep the springs you have, and try some spring spacers?

Originally posted by ericdwong

I used those on my old camry before I lowered it. I miss that lowered car ride. Spacers also will not help the lifted front end look I have now.

I'm still stuck though, if I decide to keep this car I'm gonna definately gonna lower it. I cant stand driving an unlowered car.
The intrax springs are perfect on other model cars like my wifes Galant they sit right as if she had sprints but she doesnt. Your best bet would be to get those Intrax springs from 97turbose "Nigel", and cut one front coil and your car will be evenly dropped. If not your going to have to get the sprints or what ever your heart desires but the rear will have a 31/2 finger fenderwell gap. Sprint has some pics of his car with sprints ask him to link to where they are, hes nice about that. I myself cant stand an unlowered vehicle.
Old 04-27-2002, 09:11 AM

Get sprints, if not get Ground Control coilovers...