General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

First knock sensor then EGR ceniniod now O2 sensor, whats next?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2002, 08:18 AM

First knock sensor then EGR ceniniod now O2 sensor, whats next?

I replaced the knock at about 100k along with the EGR control ceniniod now its showing I have a bad O2 sensor,. The one thats bad is the one right behind the intake manifold which goes all the way through the engine into the exhaust so I hear. Anyone know how much this censor usually goes for?

Jay
Old 04-26-2002, 08:28 AM
dot dot dot ...

Should be between 60-120 dollars, depending on where you get it. It's really not that hard to get to, just get under the car and find it on the y-pipe, but getting it out may be the hardest part because it's probably been in there for quite a while.
Old 04-26-2002, 08:32 AM

Re: First knock sensor then EGR ceniniod now O2 sensor, whats next?

Originally posted by nymjayjay
I replaced the knock at about 100k along with the EGR control ceniniod now its showing I have a bad O2 sensor,. The one thats bad is the one right behind the intake manifold which goes all the way through the engine into the exhaust so I hear. Anyone know how much this censor usually goes for?

Jay
How many miles do you have since you replaced your knock sensor??? All of those sensors going bad so close to eachother usually means they aren't going bad, but it is something else. I had 3 sensors go off at once and it turned out to be a leaking fuel injector. For your sake I hope it's not that. It's gonna cost a lot of $$$$ .

Adam
Old 04-26-2002, 08:38 AM

Re: Re: First knock sensor then EGR ceniniod now O2 sensor, whats next?

Originally posted by The_Bomb

How many miles do you have since you replaced your knock sensor??? All of those sensors going bad so close to eachother usually means they aren't going bad, but it is something else. I had 3 sensors go off at once and it turned out to be a leaking fuel injector. For your sake I hope it's not that. It's gonna cost a lot of $$$$ .

Adam

I REALLY hope it isnt that.

p.s. I have 107k on my 96 max now
Old 04-26-2002, 08:44 AM
dot dot dot ...

why did it cost so much? Was it because you replaced all the sensors proior to fiding out it wasn't the sensor? or is replacing the injector that costly? or, did thre leaking fuel mess other things up?
Old 04-26-2002, 10:26 AM

Originally posted by NmexMAX
why did it cost so much? Was it because you replaced all the sensors proior to fiding out it wasn't the sensor? or is replacing the injector that costly? or, did thre leaking fuel mess other things up?

The reason it costs so much is because of labor and parts. If it turns out to be a leaking injector they need to perfrom a "drip test" on each one to find out which one/ones it is. While three of the injectors are on the front and easitly accesible the other rquire the removal of th intake manifiold which takes time. Injectors aren't cheap. I found out about the injector from my car being on the diagnstic machine. I have not replaced any of the sensors since I was told they are not at fault. If you don't fix the leaking injedctor it will destroy your sensors and you catalytic converter over time.
The price that I was give was at least $500 dollars in labor, plus the price of each injector. That may not be a lot of money to someone who works full time, but to a poor colelge kid, it is a lot.

Hope this helps.

Adam
Old 04-26-2002, 02:12 PM
dot dot dot ...

thanks, i just did the timing chain(s) on mine cost 1200, and im a college kid!! But I'll get throguh, lucky you got a 5spd from the begining, Im going to do the swap this summer when i get full time!! Just hope an injector doesn't go out on me.
Old 04-26-2002, 05:26 PM

glad i had all 3 of mine changed

Ant
Old 04-27-2002, 10:21 AM

does the EGR valve have anything to do with idle?
Old 04-27-2002, 10:52 AM

Originally posted by NmexMAX
thanks, i just did the timing chain(s) .
I thought that the t-chain was supposed to last the whole life of the car?