General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Pocketrocket's roadtest of Stagea

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2002, 07:20 AM

Pocketrocket's roadtest of Stagea

I've been evaluating a 2002 Nissan Stagea (JPN vehicle) for the weekend & thought I'd share some of my experiences.

2002 Nissan Stagea (RHD)
Advanced Front Midship (FM) platform
VQ25DET (Neo)
AR-X Four

The stationwagon is an AWD but it definitely hauls! The suspension & platform (similar to the G35) is AMAZING and doesn't compare to the Maxima. Pity the tires weren't all that great to try it out

The 2.5 VQ turbo puts out 280/6400rpm, 300lbs-ft/3200rpm
Transmission was the 5 speed auto w/ manual shift similar to the G35. Actually, the interior is very similar to the G35 as well.

The vehicle I evaluated had the pop-up screen and featured NAVI, TV tuner. The TV tuner worked surprisingly well even in poor-reception areas. 6 disc in-dash changer was standard. Leather upholstery, wood grain on shft **** and door handles.

Interior is a bit cramped in the foot area but I am assuming that's partly due to the powertrain.

The engine is rev-limited and the manual shift will not automatically shift when the limit is reached. When you shift from auto to manual shift, it defaults to 4th gear which isn't bad because the 4th gear is very capable. There is a slight lag for downshifting in the manual mode.

Power folding mirrors, HID, auto A/C, dual power sunroof w/ tilt are among the things I distinctly recall about it from my drive last night (Indiana to Michigan - it was raining cats & dogs but the vehicle stayed firm to the road at 80 mph)

The new FM platform is amazing ... I'd recommend that anyone test drive the G35 (same platform) to appreciate the design.
Old 05-12-2002, 07:31 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I wish the Maxima had a 5spd Auto. As for the Stagea it sounds pretty nice, too bad only Japan gets it.
Old 05-12-2002, 09:52 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

oooh i seen the R34 front end conversion...
Old 05-12-2002, 11:26 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

all the cool cars never make it here
Old 05-12-2002, 04:37 PM

How were you able to roadtest a Stagea in the States? And what does a Stagea look like?
Old 05-12-2002, 06:12 PM

Originally posted by mAdD MAX
what does a Stagea look like?
Click here for specs and 2 pics of the current Stagea. Enjoy!
http://www.webtick.com/igorsush/stagea.htm
Old 05-12-2002, 06:15 PM

Here you go.
Old 05-12-2002, 06:31 PM

1BADMAX, that pic is rather complimentary but that's not the one I have (not the Autech). Mine is the Japan-spec version with the VQ25DET. It doesn't have the sporty bodykit. It looks more like a luxury sleeper.

Here's a website with Japan-spec pics

I need an opinion (see pic), I photoshopped the rear end of my Maxima to shave the hamburger, should I take it off or keep it on?

The Stagea is parked next to my Maxima.

My cardomain website
Old 05-12-2002, 07:22 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

Originally posted by pocketrocket

I need an opinion (see pic), I photoshopped the rear end of my Maxima to shave the hamburger, should I take it off or keep it on?

My cardomain website
What up pocket I miss you over in our R.I.P'ed thread

I shaved my hamburger, im sure you remember the pictures...but I put it back in, with the red backround, the clee130 emblem mod..im sure you remember that too.

In my opinion, at the stage of mods your car is at right now, shave it ALL off. It'll look so nice and clean on your ooglie stock Max ( )

Note: While you are prying the lettering off, be CAREFULL. You can easily chip off the paint..this is what I did. I tryed touch up paint but it looked blotchy, forcing me to put my emblem back on. Now if I ever wanted to shave my trunk, i'd have to get it repainted!

Good luck brah
Old 05-12-2002, 07:36 PM

Yo Craig

Had a feeling I'd see you on this thread sooner or later. you seem to floow me 'round quite a lot

My stock Max looks beauuuutiful! I do like the M A X I M A lettering very much because it adds to the horizontal lines of the trunk (spoiler line, trunk line, tail line, etc).

Plus, if I shave eerything off, how's anyone gonna know what smoked em? My stock Maxima is quite capable
Old 05-13-2002, 01:16 AM

Originally posted by pocketrocket
1BADMAX, that pic is rather complimentary but that's not the one I have (not the Autech). Mine is the Japan-spec version with the VQ25DET. It doesn't have the sporty bodykit. It looks more like a luxury sleeper.

Here's a website with Japan-spec pics

My cardomain website
where can i get one?!?
Old 05-13-2002, 08:33 AM

The stagea wagon looks really cool. From the front PICS I was thinking it vaguely reminded me of the Volvo turbo sportwagon. Those were badass, especially in black. But that shot of the rear section of the stagea? It REEEAAALYY looks like an older Volvo. It would porbably have an indentity crisis if it came to the states.

DW
Old 05-13-2002, 06:23 PM

dwapenyi

I agree with you. The styling cues remind me of the Volvo stationwagon. I think that the fact Volvo pioneered the stacked tails from bottom to top on their stationwagon makes it automatically look like a Volvo. Anyone who stacks their tails on a stationwagon is going to end up resembling a Volvo.

Heck, I had a shock when I saw a Volvo stationwagon drive off ... same color, I thought someone had stolen it while I was eating a brownie at Panera bread in Ft. Wayne.