General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

What's the Best Handling car you can get under 27k?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2000, 11:16 AM

Just curious,
What's the best handling car based on suspension that you can get for under 27K besides the ITR.

thanks

PG
Old 11-29-2000, 11:36 AM
OG :)

honda prelude sh, hands down stock
Old 11-29-2000, 11:36 AM

Hmm dunno

altho mine might come close....
but most likely not

Old 11-29-2000, 11:43 AM

Prelude SH

A few years back, Car & Driver did a pair of comparisons - best handling car under $30,000 and best handling car over $30,000. The winners were the Honda Prelude SH and the BMW M3.
Old 11-29-2000, 11:45 AM

Who wins ITR v. Prelude?

Huh, I didn't know that...Who wins ITR v. Prelude?

Originally posted by Kenneth
Old 11-29-2000, 11:47 AM
I'm needing a caw

SCC made a late model Civic do 1g on the skid pad. YOu can probably do that for much less than 27k.
Old 11-29-2000, 11:57 AM

A Maxima with an aftermarket suspension of course

QUOTE]Originally posted by Pappa Grande
Just curious,
What's the best handling car based on suspension that you can get for under 27K besides the ITR.

thanks

PG
[/QUOTE]
Old 11-29-2000, 12:00 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

gotta love those M3's

used to work at VOB, and the lower center of gravity and wider body stance was great trhough corners at high speeds!! what about the M5's anybody been lucky enough to drive one?? (*droooool*)
Old 11-29-2000, 12:02 PM
OG :)

Re: Who wins ITR v. Prelude?

Originally posted by Pappa Grande
Huh, I didn't know that...Who wins ITR v. Prelude?

Originally posted by Kenneth
straight line same, lude has more useable power, torque.
Old 11-29-2000, 12:43 PM

1988 CRX HF w/ coil-overs.

Old 11-29-2000, 01:11 PM

Originally posted by Lordrandall

You are abosultely correct LR, NOTHING compares to the handling of a crx!!! Nothing, I've been in so many cars but those little bad boys are truly scary. My friend has a 91 crx si with eibach lowering springs, FSTB and RSB and 205/40/16's for tires. It's scary as hell going around turns with it. It just feels like you're gonna die...but the car doesn't move. It's short wheel base and low center of gravity make it handle like it's on rails. The only other car that I've been in that's as good was a miata...again, short wheelbase and low center of gravity!

I want a toy car...just for corners!

five
Old 11-29-2000, 01:35 PM

Well, among new cars (not modified):

Prolly toss up between Celica GTR and Prelude Type SH. I remember that the Celica whooped the Integra GSR in a comparo, but did not perform as well as a ITR.

I heard the Miata and MR-S are also very capable handlers, but they are less practical than four seater coupes (although in reality only children fit into the back seats of Preludes and Celicas). Last time I rode in the back seat of a 2k Celica I almost ended up with neck spasms since the ceiling was so low.

Old 11-29-2000, 01:48 PM

hmm

E30 m3 LTW has to be the best Handling car -
Rare car -

any M3 LTW is sick - but then think of suspension mods

if you know about M3's you know about the LTW aka Lightweight
Old 11-29-2000, 02:49 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Brand new car I would choose >>>>>

The MAZDA MIATA !!!!! As for used cars I would choose the 1993-1995 Mazda RX-7. Stock for Stock these 2 cars are number 1 in their repective SCCA Autocross designations. The RX-7 is in Super Stock and the Miata is B stock.
Old 11-29-2000, 03:17 PM

give me a few months and I'll be pulling over 1Gs in my Miata. I've got half my full race suspension setup on order; the other half will be done in a few months. I don't want to throw it all on at once because I want to feel the differences that each mod does.

I'm still debating between a full roll cage or just a roll bar behind the seats.

a used M3 can be found under $27,000..
as forementioned, the Prelude is great, as are the Miatas & MR2 Spider.
Old 11-29-2000, 03:21 PM

if you're talking about a 2001 production car...

I will say the MR-S is the best handling vehicle under 27k. Earlier this year a magazine did a comparison between the MR-S and the Miata and found that the MR-S handles a bit better than the Miata.

Old 11-29-2000, 03:23 PM

Re: gotta love those M3's

Originally posted by DA-MAX
used to work at VOB, and the lower center of gravity and wider body stance was great trhough corners at high speeds!! what about the M5's anybody been lucky enough to drive one?? (*droooool*)
my roommate's dad has one, so we took it out couple of times late at night. the car is a monster, everything is so perfect about the car. i'll try to take pics next time we sneak it out.
Old 11-29-2000, 03:35 PM

Phuong >>>>>>

Originally posted by got rice?
give me a few months and I'll be pulling over 1Gs in my Miata. I've got half my full race suspension setup on order; the other half will be done in a few months. I don't want to throw it all on at once because I want to feel the differences that each mod does.

I'm still debating between a full roll cage or just a roll bar behind the seats.

a used M3 can be found under $27,000..
as forementioned, the Prelude is great, as are the Miatas & MR2 Spider.

What year and color is your Miata ????? Before my 300ZTT I had a Blue 1992 B package, 5 speed with the LSD. That was the FUNNEST car I ever had, it was also the fastest shifting and best shifting car. Just wish it had more power. Those cars are incredible in autoX, All I had was tires at one point and that thing stuck like gum on your shoe. Just adding swaybars, springs, Koni shocks, and god tires will make you have a 1+ G car. After a while I added Headers, exhaust, Jackson CAI, and it made it better, but I think you should save up for the Flying Miata Turbo kits they will make your Miata a 13 to 12 sec Quartermile car depending on the type of turbo you get. Keep me informed of it.

Old 11-29-2000, 03:41 PM

Re: Phuong >>>>>>

Originally posted by JULIAN
What year and color is your Miata ????? Before my 300ZTT I had a Blue 1992 B package, 5 speed with the LSD. That was the FUNNEST car I ever had, it was also the fastest shifting and best shifting car. Just wish it had more power. Those cars are incredible in autoX, All I had was tires at one point and that thing stuck like gum on your shoe. Just adding swaybars, springs, Koni shocks, and god tires will make you have a 1+ G car. After a while I added Headers, exhaust, Jackson CAI, and it made it better, but I think you should save up for the Flying Miata Turbo kits they will make your Miata a 13 to 12 sec Quartermile car depending on the type of turbo you get. Keep me informed of it.

97 Popular Package, so no Torsen LSD.

I'm not worrying about hp mods til after the suspension is complete. Thermal catback and an intake system later (stille deciding which). Once I'm off warranty, I'll be slapping on a TDO4 turbo kit... 250-270 hp in no time. If I add NOS, 300-330 easily.. can you say low 12s/high 11s?? hehe

it's hard to resist not getting the stuff now because I can get everything at dealer cost..
Old 11-29-2000, 04:18 PM

Re: Phuong >>>>>>

Which turbo kit are you getting ???? I always thought the FM was the best out there. There is another one made by Peformance Buyers Club I believe, they have the Aeromax system, looks pretty good.
Old 11-29-2000, 06:19 PM

A F-Body.
(Z28 or Formula/Trans Am)

just my opinion after i borrowed my friends 98 z28 drop top for a week.
IT WAS FUN
Mike
Old 11-29-2000, 06:24 PM

What's a MR-S? or Do you mean MR-2?

Old 11-29-2000, 08:15 PM

You have a miata too? How many cars do u have?
Old 11-29-2000, 10:47 PM

You could get a 911 or 930 for that. 80's of course.
Maybe a slant nose and turbo charger. Ebay has had a few gorgeous ones in recent months. All from Cali.

Do you have 27k in cash or are you going to get a loan.
If you have cash give it to me and I will make your payments on time every month.

Old 11-30-2000, 05:37 AM

Thanks guys.
I'll be buying my first new car in about a year and I wan't a car with a great suspension stock. I love my 95se, but I want something different next time around.

PG
Old 11-30-2000, 06:08 AM

Stock, no way Modified, nope. The first gen CRX had a shorter wheelbase (by about 4.5") and weighed a few hundred pounds less (an 86 HF weighed in at 1700 lb!). You want a really fun car for under $10k, get an 86 HF, swap in a 1st gen integra motor, axle, and breaks, throw on a turbo kit, and do coilovers. That would be an amazing car and would cost less than a new ford focus! If I weren't broke and I didn't have such a crappy CRX, I'd do it...
Old 11-30-2000, 06:33 AM

Re: Re: Phuong >>>>>>

Originally posted by JULIAN
Which turbo kit are you getting ???? I always thought the FM was the best out there. There is another one made by Peformance Buyers Club I believe, they have the Aeromax system, looks pretty good.
Undecided yet. It'll be two years until the warranty is out, so I'm in no rush. Gotta do some research on the various kits when the time comes.
Old 11-30-2000, 09:39 AM

Originally posted by deathwish

Stock, no way Modified, nope. The first gen CRX had a shorter wheelbase (by about 4.5") and weighed a few hundred pounds less (an 86 HF weighed in at 1700 lb!). You want a really fun car for under $10k, get an 86 HF, swap in a 1st gen integra motor, axle, and breaks, throw on a turbo kit, and do coilovers. That would be an amazing car and would cost less than a new ford focus! If I weren't broke and I didn't have such a crappy CRX, I'd do it...
Did the 86 have passive rear wheel steering like the 88?
Old 11-30-2000, 09:51 AM
MaxRX7

Simple, a stock RX-7

Especially my previous 1995 R2. Why did I get rid of it again?

FWD=sucks
RWD=AWESOME

Old 11-30-2000, 11:32 AM

Skidpad doesn't necessarily weed out the best...

Slalom is probably a better tell-tale because you have transitions. Anyway, My '97 WS.6 pulled .91 BEFORE the Eibachs lowered it, so who knows now. '80 Celica w/ Tokicos and TRD springs, Addco bars pulls over 1.0g. I prefer the Celica because you can flick it around but in wide open spaces the T/A reigns superior. Datsun 510's are a BLAST though too.

Prelude? Bah. FWD will never come close to RWD. The SH ATTS gadget just adds weight, according to every review I've read - they had top-notch drivers out there who couldn't tell a difference between the standard one and the ATTS equipped car (Road & Track). Who want's torque steer when you're at the limit. Besides, didn't a Mustang outhandle the Preludes for a few years running? Talk about lame suspension...

I would have to vote for the RX-7 if we are talking stock. I know where there's a damn sweet '93 for sale w/ 40k miles, an HKS EVC and other goodies. I'd buy it but the wife would slaughter me. Besides, I hate red.

-Jacob
Old 11-30-2000, 11:55 AM

jacob >>>

You my kinda man.. hehe no really about that celi.. lets see.. in 1980 the celi looked like.. errr nevermind .. I'm still on a quest for another supra 82-85 (early 86 as well) has to be 5spd.. can have a trashed motor as long as the bodies good.. I love those old toyotas... (shhh I'll get murdered if anyone hears that!).. also know anyone that needs any supra parts?? I've got an 85 and a 82 that aren't worth my time to restore...

Originally posted by jacob
Slalom is probably a better tell-tale because you have transitions. Anyway, My '97 WS.6 pulled .91 BEFORE the Eibachs lowered it, so who knows now. '80 Celica w/ Tokicos and TRD springs, Addco bars pulls over 1.0g. I prefer the Celica because you can flick it around but in wide open spaces the T/A reigns superior. Datsun 510's are a BLAST though too.

Prelude? Bah. FWD will never come close to RWD. The SH ATTS gadget just adds weight, according to every review I've read - they had top-notch drivers out there who couldn't tell a difference between the standard one and the ATTS equipped car (Road & Track). Who want's torque steer when you're at the limit. Besides, didn't a Mustang outhandle the Preludes for a few years running? Talk about lame suspension...

I would have to vote for the RX-7 if we are talking stock. I know where there's a damn sweet '93 for sale w/ 40k miles, an HKS EVC and other goodies. I'd buy it but the wife would slaughter me. Besides, I hate red.

-Jacob
Old 11-30-2000, 12:26 PM

Toysplatter

Hey, Yeah '80 Celica LB was ***-ugly - like a stretch Pacer or something. Mine is a Coupe which I think is actually a nice looking car.

Send me an email and I will forward it to the Old Toyota List.

Send to:

toybutta@yahoo.com

-Jacob
Old 11-30-2000, 04:27 PM

it has to be a gsx
Old 11-30-2000, 04:34 PM

Originally posted by Player1
it has to be a gsx
Those are cool and AWD rules, but MAN I hate cable shifters. Is there anything worse??

-Jacob
Old 11-30-2000, 04:56 PM

No CRX has ever had any type of rear steering to my knowledge... Are you think of a prelude?
Old 11-30-2000, 05:24 PM

No CRX has ever had any type of rear steering to my knowledge... Are you think of a prelude?
Quoting from the December 2K SCC:

"The '88 CRX also has a different rear suspension than any other CRX. Honda's unique sort-of-double-wishbone, sort-of-trailing-arm rear suspension uses a toe control link and a compliance bushing in concert to give a passive rear steering effect."

There is more, but that gives you the general idea.
Old 11-30-2000, 08:08 PM

Old Yodas

Jacob, wasssup, how's ol Toybutta doing? Funny seeing you here, Tim K was just telling me you were eyeing a Max. I'm gonna hop back on OCC this weekend.

anyway I am just here to admit, that an old school Toy can keep pace with many a new car My first SCCA solo in my Celica (no previous experience), I placed third out of about 40 Toyotas, mostly 3rd gen Supras (the heavy ones). Heck I even beat a Viper by a few tenths.

No way my Max can keep up, but on a drag strip, it's the Max, hands down!

Old 12-01-2000, 07:37 AM

Hey...

Yeah I'm looking at basically what you got - but dark blue. '93 SE 5spd w/ black leather. How you like the car so far?

Toybutta is doing great, though needs some work. Moved to be a daily driver now that I am selling off cars. Found some rust under those dreaded rocker-moldings. Other than that, great. Still pondering engine choices as the 20R gets older and older. 86k miles and counting.

Later,

Jacob
Old 12-01-2000, 07:54 AM

Some of the 90-92 Preludes came with 4WS, or four wheel steering. I had a 90 Prelude 4WS, and the turning was incredible! You could really see the back wheels turning, felt like you were gliding! Any one know why they stopped making them?

Old 12-01-2000, 08:03 AM

Quoting from the December 2K SCC:

"The '88 CRX also has a different rear suspension than any other CRX. Honda's unique sort-of-double-wishbone, sort-of-trailing-arm rear suspension uses a toe control link and a compliance bushing in concert to give a passive rear steering effect."

There is more, but that gives you the general idea.
That doesn't really sound like passive rear steering You got a few sort-of things that kinda give a passive rear steering effect... I doubt if that made much significant improvements in handling. I'm not convinced any type of rear steering is all that great, considering the extra weight and cost invovled. Several cars have used it in the past and it's never really caught on...

Quick Reply: What's the Best Handling car you can get under 27k?