General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

technical knowledge help! kinda OT

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2000, 01:15 PM

my friend and another were driving this past thanksgiving weekend. he wrecked the car and to make matters worse...he decided not to purchase any form of insurance when renting the car(doubt he's got any insurance).

I am uncertain about the specifics but I was told that they were driving on the main road, and this SUV decides to zoom out the the small road onto the main road and cut across to the other side to join traffic. basically, it was a case of playing chicken...the SUV saw them coming and froze in the road...my friend going at lower than speed limit (don't know what speed) hit the SUV on the front left side (front fender area).

now, here is what I need ppl's knowledge on...is it true that cars are now equipped with a accelerometer (G-meter) that measures and calculates the car's speed before deploying the air-bag? why, cos upon impact the air-bags in the rental (pontiac grand-am) didn't deploy! think my friend is trying to use this as a defensive statement to get out of paying for the wrecked car. or should the air-bags have deployed?

anyways, the accident didn't occur on the interstate...so I guess the speed limit would be anywhere from 35mph to 50 / 55mph type deal...!

need anyone's knowledge here on the air-bags. I know this reads very vague, I wish I could furnish more info...but am uncertain about the specifics myself.

thanks.
Old 11-29-2000, 01:25 PM
I'm needing a caw

If your friend has car insurance for his normal one, the rental might be automatically covered.

Airbags are designed to depoly at or above a certain speed. Like 30mph or something like that. So in cases where there are small accidents, they won't deploy. Could be a point for your friend's agrument I guess.
Old 11-29-2000, 09:14 PM

Air bags make use of a couple of sensors to deploy. One type is a mechanical switch that closes under rapid deceleration and another type is an accelerometer designed to sense some value of g-force. I don't know that all airbags deploy at the same speed though. An air bag in a smaller car would need to deploy sooner than an airbag in a larger car because the change in momentum (impulse) has a greater effect on the occupants inside. In fact I don't think it is about "speed" at all. Its impulse. You can have a worse accident at 20 mph than you can at 40 mph if your change in momentum is greater in the 20 mph accident.

At any rate, the rental company should be able to make a claim against the SUV insurance policy. Ahh, for want of $8/day insurance.
Old 11-29-2000, 09:19 PM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

It's a federal law that your own car insurance will cover rental car up to 30 days->

Rental car place usually rip you off on these. One good thing with rental car insurance. There is no deductable. Your own car insurance usually have a $500 or more deductable.
Old 11-29-2000, 09:41 PM

latest up-date!

the same friend used to own a G20...but not anymore...so basically, he is a chicago city dweller who commutes to work and rents rental cars for the weekends if he needs to drive out of town.
anyways, I was told that the police report came out and basically indicated that the SUV driver was in the wrong...so my friend's walking this one...SWEET~!!!!

ok...later guys...but thanks for all help!