General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Clay Barred my car today...

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2002, 08:42 PM

Clay Barred my car today...

all i can say is wow. its like i got a new paintjob. it literally gets out every single spec of dirt. the only thing thats left on my car is the hundreds of paint chips.

here is my back bumper, which was insanely dirty deep into the paint for some reason. it was driving me nuts.
Link
on the left is the before, and you can see a line down the middle to where all the dirt has been picked up towards the right.

i highly recommend it to anyone with a white car. i dont see the need to with any color tho
Old 05-13-2002, 08:54 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Clay Barred my car today...

Originally posted by magnum
all i can say is wow. its like i got a new paintjob. it literally gets out every single spec of dirt. the only thing thats left on my car is the hundreds of paint chips.

here is my back bumper, which was insanely dirty deep into the paint for some reason. it was driving me nuts.
Link
on the left is the before, and you can see a line down the middle to where all the dirt has been picked up towards the right.

i highly recommend it to anyone with a white car. i dont see the need to with any color tho
Only drawback is that your hands get SORE afterwards...
Old 05-13-2002, 08:56 PM

Re: Re: Clay Barred my car today...

Originally posted by ljl10

Only drawback is that your hands get SORE afterwards...
its so true. my fingers are killing me
Old 05-13-2002, 09:53 PM

Why do your fingers hurt?

& how long did it take to do the whole car?

Tkx!

Link

Old 05-13-2002, 10:00 PM

Re: Re: Clay Barred my car today...

Originally posted by ohboiya
Why do your fingers hurt?

& how long did it take to do the whole car?

Tkx!

i washed the car with dawn dishwashing soap to get the wax off (which came off way too easily), 1hr
clay barred the car, 3½ hours
washed really quick, 20 mins,
waxed 1½ hours.

yah i had nothing to do today.
Old 05-13-2002, 11:13 PM

Re: Re: Re: Clay Barred my car today...

i washed the car with dawn dishwashing soap to get the wax off (which came off way too easily), 1hr
clay barred the car, 3½ hours
washed really quick, 20 mins,
waxed 1½ hours.
Holy moly...6 hours and 20 minutes total time! You have to start washing your car more than once every 6 months...
Old 05-13-2002, 11:30 PM
lcf

Re: Re: Re: Re: Clay Barred my car today...

Originally posted by ljl10

Holy moly...6 hours and 20 minutes total time! You have to start washing your car more than once every 6 months...
takes me about the same time too.

i do everything by hand.

its the multiple washes that is the most time-consuming.

making sure there are NO streaks/watermarks is meticulous work!

not to be rushed.

Old 05-13-2002, 11:48 PM

Questions

How exactly do you use the clay bar
just rub it across the whole car?

whats the usual time interval for claying the car?
Old 05-14-2002, 04:51 AM

On my rocker panels and lower part of the front doors behind the wheels there is some sort of dirt/stain that will not come off with anything I have done so far. Will a claybar get this off? Where do I get one?
Old 05-14-2002, 05:57 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Great job on the car. I disagree with the color statement though. I've clay barred my baby twice now (once every 4 months or so) and she looks better each time. Add Zaino after clay bar and my super black is fabulous. The best thing about clay bar is the before and after FEEL of the surface. There is no doubt when you've clayed it versus not. Even a month after clay barring, you can start to feel little bits of crap that washing won't remove but the clay bar will. I assure you its worth it to any color vehicle to perform this every now and then. Take care!
Old 05-14-2002, 06:59 AM
Blu
the tits

i felt some bumps on my 2k2 guess its time for the good ol clay bar just have never done it so not sure how it needs to be applied
Old 05-14-2002, 07:12 AM

hey guys....what kind of prep work needs to be done before clay bar'ing your car?

The first (and only) time I ever used a claybar I didn't see a huge difference. I was owndering if maybe I omitted some essential steps
before I did this...
Old 05-14-2002, 08:01 AM

I too just clayed my car. Keep in mind it is brand new, but I wanted to get off any contaminants that had settled during transport and while sitting around in the dealer lot.

I get goosebumps now when I run my hand across my paint! it is SOOOOO smooth. I used the mother's clay bar kit, I had heard that meguiars tends to leave residue behind. You're supposed to spray the section you are working on liberally with some kind of lubricant, usually a quick detail spray. then you just glide the bar over the car without using too much pressure. You should feel and hear the bar picking up small specks of dust. You'll also see the grime on your clay. After each panel, you should fold and re-knead the bar to get any dirt out of the way and maintain a clean surface. Watch for large particulates that might scratch your paint and leave swirl marks.

Took me less than an hour. I think this has something to do with the fact that I could work in the shade and therefore cover larger areas at a time, and my car is fairly new and I didn't have any problem areas. An office chair with wheels also helps speed matters quite a bit .

follow up with a quick wax, and you're good
Old 05-14-2002, 08:01 AM

youve gotta get all the wax off your car 1st, or it wont work. use regular dish soap for that. the clay bar did get rid of all the stains on my paint as well, so thats worth a try. as for doing it, the directions are in the box. its only so time consuming cuz the bar is like a gummy eraser, and the actual surface area of the thing is about 2 square inches at any given time, coupled with the face that you have to rub the same area about 10 times to make sure you got everything off.