General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

for the y-pipes

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2002, 05:34 PM

for the y-pipes

what's the difference between the TIG and the MIG. I"m about to get a y-pipe off warspeed but there that two I have to choose from. And I live in Southern California so do you think it is necessary for me to get a stainless steel or am I ok with just the alluminized. Thanks
Old 05-14-2002, 05:39 PM

Re: for the y-pipes

Originally posted by Zero Gravity
what's the difference between the TIG and the MIG. I"m about to get a y-pipe off warspeed but there that two I have to choose from. And I live in Southern California so do you think it is necessary for me to get a stainless steel or am I ok with just the alluminized. Thanks
how long do you want it to last?...and since you're in SoCal, I'm assuming you don't really have too much salt on the roads and stuff?...aluminized should be fine for usually close to 5-6 years i think
Old 05-14-2002, 05:56 PM

Go to the 4th gen discussions, there are a few threads on Y pipes and the differences. Budget vs Warpspeed, and all about the differences in TIG vs MIG welding
Old 05-14-2002, 08:17 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The difference between TIG and MIG welding is the welding process, one uses a tungsten rod as a heat source and the welder is able to more fine tune the heat setting, the welder also may use a filler rod or the base material itself to weld. One can TIG weld both stainless and mild steel, bet you did not know that either. MIG welding uses a gun so to speak with wire on a roll so it is faster. The application is what generally determines which process one uses. Both use shielding gas. We use both. I know a lot of you worry about the difference, we never hear of welds breaking, only the "other" guys flex sections.

We have posted many times about the differnces in welding techiniques, hey we went to welding school, do a search on yahoo, look it up and decide for yourself. Just don't let one of the suspension geometric expert types sway your opinion, decide for yourself.

Dallas
Old 05-15-2002, 12:44 AM

Originally posted by bmfjeep
The difference between TIG and MIG welding is the welding process, one uses a tungsten rod as a heat source and the welder is able to more fine tune the heat setting, the welder also may use a filler rod or the base material itself to weld. One can TIG weld both stainless and mild steel, bet you did not know that either. MIG welding uses a gun so to speak with wire on a roll so it is faster. The application is what generally determines which process one uses. Both use shielding gas. We use both. I know a lot of you worry about the difference, we never hear of welds breaking, only the "other" guys flex sections.

We have posted many times about the differnces in welding techiniques, hey we went to welding school, do a search on yahoo, look it up and decide for yourself. Just don't let one of the suspension geometric expert types sway your opinion, decide for yourself.

Dallas
Thanks for that info, so I WILL be getting a y-pipe from you guys for sure. So here is to my next question. I don't want that loud of a exhaust and right now I have a stillen rear exhaust and the rest from the B-pipe to the Ypipe. Do you think it is necessary for me to get the aftermarket B-pipe and the Catalyic converter that you guys sell. Remember I don't want a loud car. I want it loud enough which is noticable. So what do you say?