General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

V2 Question --->

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2002, 08:18 PM

V2 Question --->

The kit was just installed and pretty much finished, only need to do the intake pipe and it's ready to roll. However, when the car is at idle, there is a grinding/squeaking sound coming from the blower itself. The sound only comes at idle and goes away under any kind of throttle. It sounds like the blades are contacting something but they aren't...so perhaps the bearings? There is oil flow and everything...was just wondering if this was a normal sound and just want everything squared away before the car leaves the shop. BTW, the kit is brand new straight from Stillen (wasn't missing any parts!) and is being installed by a shop that I have great faith in. Any pointers on what to look for would be greatly appreciated...and if it's just normal...so be it. Thanx in advance!
Old 05-14-2002, 08:49 PM

Thats 100% normal.
Old 05-14-2002, 09:19 PM
Used force to obtain Admin powers

Re: V2 Question --->

Originally posted by MaxedBandit
The kit was just installed and pretty much finished, only need to do the intake pipe and it's ready to roll. However, when the car is at idle, there is a grinding/squeaking sound coming from the blower itself. The sound only comes at idle and goes away under any kind of throttle. It sounds like the blades are contacting something but they aren't...so perhaps the bearings? There is oil flow and everything...was just wondering if this was a normal sound and just want everything squared away before the car leaves the shop. BTW, the kit is brand new straight from Stillen (wasn't missing any parts!) and is being installed by a shop that I have great faith in. Any pointers on what to look for would be greatly appreciated...and if it's just normal...so be it. Thanx in advance!
smaller pulley
Old 05-14-2002, 10:08 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Did you do the intercooler set up?
Old 05-14-2002, 11:10 PM

Re: Re: V2 Question --->

Originally posted by Jane97SE

smaller pulley
The check is in the mail!!! Stop rushing me!!!! I can't handle the pressure!!!!!! ARGH!!!!
Old 05-14-2002, 11:11 PM

Originally posted by 1FSTMAX
Did you do the intercooler set up?
Not yet, gonna run the default set-up for at least 1 road race event to make sure the kit and everything is fine (just in case I need to hassle Stillen about it)....but everything has been laid out and ready to roll as in piping and fitment issues and all. Will post picks as soon as the IC's go in.
Old 05-15-2002, 07:26 AM

I've had my V2 for about 6 months. Tere was no sound at all for about the first 3 or 4 months. Then it started to grind and squeak like you said while it was idling. I still got boost but that grinding was annoying. So, I sent it back to Vortech and they confirmed that it was going... the bearings were bad so they claimed to have repaired it. If you do a search, you'll see that I'm in a bitter war w/Vortech right now because they said they fixed it and when I got it back, it was still grinding! When you go from no sound to constant grindng, theres cause for concern. At least for me. I would suggest running it for a while, but if the sound gets worse, send it back and dont let Vortech give you any crap about its supposed to sound like that....gimmie a break, you know the sound, I doubt its supposed to sound THAT bad. I'll pray for you if you have to go to them for help because they have horrible service at Vortech and thats been confirmed by a few people on here. Not to scare you man but I would'nt wish what I'm going through with Vortech on anyone and my problem started out exactly like yours... I'll keep you updated man. Good luck.

Deac
Old 05-15-2002, 09:56 AM
My other car is a Hybrid

Dennis,

You heard mine before the CAI... There's just a slight 'sound of crickets' at idle that disappears at about 1.5K rpm... It shouldn't get louder as time goes on (as Deac stated)....

Yeah, a smaller pulley will reduce the noise like Jane suggested...lol.

Give me a call or email me re: the IC setup... I've been scheming of a AWIC but may go FMIC... let talk.
Old 05-15-2002, 01:22 PM

Crickets OK...

Originally posted by Chunger
Dennis,

You heard mine before the CAI... There's just a slight 'sound of crickets' at idle that disappears at about 1.5K rpm... It shouldn't get louder as time goes on (as Deac stated)....

Give me a call or email me re: the IC setup... I've been scheming of a AWIC but may go FMIC... let talk.
Cricket sounds are OK... thats normal. The grinding is not normal.Its BS that Vortech says its supposed to sound like that. I know alot of other people have a grinding sound and their blowers still work OK. I guess its a matter of whether or not you can deal with the sound... its annoying to me especilly after it was'nt there in the beginning. Its funny how mine never used to grind, it only made a soft cricket sound. After it started grinding, I sent it to Vortech and they said that the bearings were bad!!! Hmmmm... Judge for yourself.

Deac
Old 05-15-2002, 04:42 PM

3.33 limit and oil cooler

I don't notice anyone with a 3.33 or larger pulley or an oil cooler having V2 problems. is there logic in that, or just coincidence that only 3.25 and under w/o oil coolers have bearing problems? maybe 3.25 people crossed the line, hopefulley not because mine is on the way.
Old 05-15-2002, 05:47 PM

Dennis,

Will do, I'll PM you my cell phone and such and we can see what we scheme up.

Cricket sounds are OK... thats normal. The grinding is not normal.Its BS that Vortech says its supposed to sound like that. I know alot of other people have a grinding sound and their blowers still work OK. I guess its a matter of whether or not you can deal with the sound... its annoying to me especilly after it was'nt there in the beginning. Its funny how mine never used to grind, it only made a soft cricket sound. After it started grinding, I sent it to Vortech and they said that the bearings were bad!!! Hmmmm... Judge for yourself
I hope it's the cricket sounds that I'm explaining, but that would make them some rather large and angry crickets...I'm also hoping that nothing was atually wrong with your blower when you sent it in, it was just Vortech's default answer to anything...so maybe they didn't do anything to your blower before sending it back.
Old 05-15-2002, 08:26 PM

something WAS wrong

Will do, I'll PM you my cell phone and such and we can see what we scheme up.

I hope it's the cricket sounds that I'm explaining, but that would make them some rather large and angry crickets...I'm also hoping that nothing was atually wrong with your blower when you sent it in, it was just Vortech's default answer to anything...so maybe they didn't do anything to your blower before sending it back.
There was something wrong....The bearings were all shot. They replaced everything except the impellor blade. Then when I got it back and told hem it was making the samenoise, they say sometimes the impellor blade makes noise too so hey will replace that if necessary! As for the 3.25, an IC is supposed to negate a couple of pounds of boost so even if one wee running a 3.25. they'd probably get a couple of pounds less bost than normal. I live in NY too so I dont get to push my car very often either... I think Vortech is just full of crap.

Deac
Old 05-15-2002, 09:22 PM
Used force to obtain Admin powers

Re: something WAS wrong

Originally posted by Deac

There was something wrong....The bearings were all shot. They replaced everything except the impellor blade. Then when I got it back and told hem it was making the samenoise, they say sometimes the impellor blade makes noise too so hey will replace that if necessary! As for the 3.25, an IC is supposed to negate a couple of pounds of boost so even if one wee running a 3.25. they'd probably get a couple of pounds less bost than normal. I live in NY too so I dont get to push my car very often either... I think Vortech is just full of crap.

Deac
I'm just curious...how do you know they even changed/did anything?
Old 05-15-2002, 09:33 PM

Re: Re: something WAS wrong

Originally posted by Jane97SE

I'm just curious...how do you know they even changed/did anything?
I'm in NY and they are in Cali so... I didnt actually see them do anything. I can only take their word for it right? They said the blower was bad, said they repaired it and gave me an invoice and receipt for the whole thing stating what they did. Only Vortech and God know for sure what they did... whatever it was though, it was'nt good enough. Gotta send it back again.

Deac
Old 05-15-2002, 10:05 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Re: Re: Re: something WAS wrong

I'm in NY and they are in Cali so... I didnt actually see them do anything. I can only take their word for it right? They said the blower was bad, said they repaired it and gave me an invoice and receipt for the whole thing stating what they did. Only Vortech and God know for sure what they did... whatever it was though, it was'nt good enough. Gotta send it back again.

Deac
Deac,

I'm just wondering, what brand and weight oil your running?

Do you have a "turbo timer" or do you ALWAYS let it idle for awhile before you shut it down?

I think your oil could be cooking in the SC and deposits are scoring the bearings. That's possibly why it went from no sound to a grinding sound.

Good luck!
Old 05-16-2002, 06:07 AM

Re: something WAS wrong

Deac
Hrm, I think I might give Vortech a call later today then because I'm almost positive the sound isn't normal. As for the IC negating boost, I've taken that into consideration and will use that to my advantage (ie won't over boost) with the 3.125 pulley, but until I can figure out what that sound is for certain, I will not add IC's let alone swap out pulleys. I am heading out to Vegas on the 25th of this month for a road race event and will see if anything blows up...if not, I can only assume the sound I am hearing is normal and procede as planned...a 4 hour drive to Vegas with 4 hours of road racing on Saturday and Sunday with the 4 hour drive home should be a good enough test.

Do you have a "turbo timer" or do you ALWAYS let it idle for awhile before you shut it down?
Are you suggesting we should or should not use a turbo timer. Just asking because the boost gauge I am getting also acts as a turbo timer and am wondering whether to set it up or not.
Old 05-16-2002, 07:57 AM
My other car is a Hybrid

Are you suggesting we should or should not use a turbo timer. Just asking because the boost gauge I am getting also acts as a turbo timer and am wondering whether to set it up or not.
No need for cool down... S/C doesn't heat up like exhaust driven Turbos
Old 05-16-2002, 09:22 AM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Yes, I would suggest it to prolong oil life and bearing life, but I'd take Chunger's opinion over mine since I haven't researched enough into V2 SC operating temperatures. However, I still believe running a SC and then shutting it down will cook the oil in the bearings even though SC's run MUCH cooler than turbos. They still spin up to 50K rpms if you drop down below a 3" pulley such as Y2KevSE has and that will generate PLENTY of heat to cook the oil.

I'm a little **** on durability though. If I run a SC I'd add its own dedicated oil pump that ran for 5-mins after shutdown to keep the oil circulating through the bearings and oil cooler.

Like I said, I'd listen to someone else such as Chunger, since he probably has more knowledge on V2 SCs.
Old 05-16-2002, 09:41 AM

Originally posted by IceY2K1

Yes, I would suggest it to prolong oil life and bearing life, but I'd take Chunger's opinion over mine since I haven't researched enough into V2 SC operating temperatures. However, I still believe running a SC and then shutting it down will cook the oil in the bearings even though SC's run MUCH cooler than turbos. They still spin up to 50K rpms if you drop down below a 3" pulley such as Y2KevSE has and that will generate PLENTY of heat to cook the oil.

I'm a little **** on durability though. If I run a SC I'd add its own dedicated oil pump that ran for 5-mins after shutdown to keep the oil circulating through the bearings and oil cooler.

Like I said, I'd listen to someone else such as Chunger, since he probably has more knowledge on V2 SCs.
I'll probably just do a compromise of both of your suggestions and just run the turbo timer between 30 seconds to a minute depending on how hard I run the car. Thanks for both of your responses though!
Old 05-16-2002, 09:46 AM
My other car is a Hybrid

Originally posted by IceY2K1

There's no harm to 'idle down' a S/C. The turbine doesn't continue to spin like that of a turbo after shutting off the engine (as when people rev the engine before shutting down). Plus on turbos, you can actually see the exhaust portion of the turbo glow at night if it has been run hard. I've never had my V2 that hot... I could always touch the S/C itself and not get burned (as long as you don't hold your hand on it). But like I said, it won't do any harm to idle it down if it gives you peace of mind.
Old 05-16-2002, 09:49 AM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

If the car is a daily driver and rarely pushed, shouldn't it be ok to skip the idle and shut down? I was thinking of getting a Blitz turbo timer with the boost gauge and not using the timer.
Old 05-16-2002, 09:56 AM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

Re: Re: Re: Re: something WAS wrong

Plus on turbos, you can actually see the exhaust portion of the turbo glow at night if it has been run hard. I've never had my V2 that hot... I could always touch the S/C itself and not get burned (as long as you don't hold your hand on it).
The turbo is running off of exhaust gases while the SC is cramming cool air into the intake tube. The tube gets pretty hot but the SC seems to just get hot from the engine.
Old 05-16-2002, 11:18 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Just let the car idle for a minute or so after a hard run. Listen to a song... or as Dennis would do, smoke a cig.
Old 05-16-2002, 12:52 PM
Licensed to Spell

First of all, I'm not following you. You say you aren't done with the install yet you are turning over your engine?! Why? Anyway, I agree with Chunger 100% in that at idle you hear a 'distant field of crickets on a quiet summer night' at idle but then it goes away as soon as you accelerate. And just like Deac, mine was quiet for about 3 months and then all of a sudden, I started hearing grinding every once in a while. But, like I said, I didn't hear it for months. Not sure why you hear it already.
Old 05-17-2002, 01:32 AM

Re: Re: V2 Question --->

Originally posted by ptatohed

First of all, I'm not following you. You say you aren't done with the install yet you are turning over your engine?! Why? Anyway, I agree with Chunger 100% in that at idle you hear a 'distant field of crickets on a quiet summer night' at idle but then it goes away as soon as you accelerate. And just like Deac, mine was quiet for about 3 months and then all of a sudden, I started hearing grinding every once in a while. But, like I said, I didn't hear it for months. Not sure why you hear it already.
Well, my worries are pretty much settled now because I heard Chung's car and it sounds pretty much identical to mine. As for the kit not completed, it was simply the intake/filter that wasn't connected yet. I just wanted it fired up and hear what it sounded like.
Old 05-17-2002, 08:03 AM
Licensed to Spell

Re: Re: Re: V2 Question --->

Well, my worries are pretty much settled now because I heard Chung's car and it sounds pretty much identical to mine. As for the kit not completed, it was simply the intake/filter that wasn't connected yet. I just wanted it fired up and hear what it sounded like.

I guess it's just me but I didn't dare start my car until all steps were 100% complete, and double and triple checked. Didn't you confuse the car by having to M.A.S. reading or ambient air reading or ? Anyway, what are you going to do? Get the Vortech fixed now? Wait? Good luck.