General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

People with 5 spd swaps..

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2002, 07:56 AM

People with 5 spd swaps..

I am just curious as to how things are going? I talk to Harold a lot etc and also talked about the 5 spd, anywyas I know about the check engine light and needing a different ecu, but other then that is everything running smoothly? Just wanted to see some updates, and maybe I will do something this summer or next year as a senior project...
Old 05-15-2002, 08:04 AM

Re: People with 5 spd swaps..

Originally posted by maximaracer28
I am just curious as to how things are going? I talk to Harold a lot etc and also talked about the 5 spd, anywyas I know about the check engine light and needing a different ecu, but other then that is everything running smoothly? Just wanted to see some updates, and maybe I will do something this summer or next year as a senior project...
Installed mine about 3 weeks ago. Mine has been working great. I have had no problems with the transmission itself. My tires are different story.
Old 05-15-2002, 08:04 AM
Sports Button FTW

if my knowledge is correct u don't have to change ecu just have to like reset it by unplugging battery or something....but i'm looking for best price on all parts and everyone i know who has done it has had no major problems except burnt clutches due to getting them used....my close friend in NY has a big problem but that's cause of the trans he bought...it was leaking from the get go...but other than that, no one has mentioned any problems....plus I do Organization Learning, where i learn through other people's mistakes....those who bought used cylinders and used clutches, i plan on buying some important parts new and that's why my swap should be even more successful than the rest....GO FOR IT THOUGH!!!
Old 05-15-2002, 08:35 AM
'Trynna' is not a word

Why would anyone in there right mind install a used clutch?

Originally posted by meccanoble
if my knowledge is correct u don't have to change ecu just have to like reset it by unplugging battery or something....but i'm looking for best price on all parts and everyone i know who has done it has had no major problems except burnt clutches due to getting them used....my close friend in NY has a big problem but that's cause of the trans he bought...it was leaking from the get go...but other than that, no one has mentioned any problems....plus I do Organization Learning, where i learn through other people's mistakes....those who bought used cylinders and used clutches, i plan on buying some important parts new and that's why my swap should be even more successful than the rest....GO FOR IT THOUGH!!!
Old 05-15-2002, 12:55 PM
Ramius83

You will have to replace the ECU if you do not want a CEL all the time. In your Auto ECU, it has a TCM (Transmission Control Module). Your ECU is directly connected to that and has sensors/controls to control the shifting. When it sees that these harnesses are cut/changed and the power is not making a round-trip from the TCM to the tranny and back to the TCM, then the CEL will go off indefinitely. So, by changing the ECU to a manual ECU, you will eliminate the TCM and therefore you may/will not get a CEL. By the way, get the harness as well for the tranny.

Old 05-15-2002, 02:18 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by mtrai760

I used the old clutch, it was just fine. By the way, I just blew my 5spd tranny after 2 thousand miles. i blame the bearings.
Old 05-15-2002, 05:41 PM
Cumalittle

Re: People with 5 spd swaps..

i was looking at haynes and it seem like the bolt pattern for 99 auto does not line up with 99 manual tranny...

Old 05-15-2002, 06:35 PM

It does, because I almost bought a tranny from a guy in Cali who did the swap on his 99 auto but then decided to go back to auto...
Old 05-15-2002, 06:41 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

How easy was it for you guys to sell your auto tranny? I remember Harold was struggling.. giving it away dirt cheap.

Maybe down the line, I would embark this project, after I get other things I want to do to my car 1st and run out of ideas... If I can get this done in under 900$ (including selling the auto parts and labor) I would definately go for it.. If I can find someone to help me out too ofcourse..
Old 05-15-2002, 07:29 PM
Ramius83

It does, because I almost bought a tranny from a guy in Cali who did the swap on his 99 auto but then decided to go back to auto...
It does line up, all trannies (auto/5-speed) on any GXE/SE/GLE 4th Gen are "swappable" with each other. The bolt patterns are exactly the same.

BTW, I bought that kit lololol....

Old 05-19-2002, 05:15 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by mtrai760

my dads fiance has your rims on her max. american racing 16" right? from costco at $90 a rim?
MrGone
Old 05-19-2002, 05:37 PM

plus I do Organization Learning, where i learn through other people's mistakes....those who bought used cylinders and used clutches, i plan on buying some important parts new and that's why my swap should be even more successful than the rest....GO FOR IT THOUGH!!!
good thing we all don't have this theory, or you wouldn't have the 5spd instructions... you also wouldn't have companies like warpspeed making products that we havent had before for the maxima

also, you do need a 5spd ecu if you want the CEL to go off.
Old 05-19-2002, 05:44 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

Nope, 16x& 300zx rims from Nissan.

Originally posted by MrGone

my dads fiance has your rims on her max. american racing 16" right? from costco at $90 a rim?
MrGone
Old 05-19-2002, 06:26 PM

Originally posted by NYCe MaXiMa
How easy was it for you guys to sell your auto tranny? I remember Harold was struggling.. giving it away dirt cheap.
I think I helped that move along pretty well, eh Harold?
Old 05-19-2002, 07:03 PM

Originally posted by gtr_rider

I think I helped that move along pretty well, eh Harold?
yes, thankyou!!

I think one thing about selling auto tranny's though, you can offer it for almost nothing, and no one will buy it if there is no need.. just set a price, keep bumping the post, and when someone blows their tranny finaly (can be 1 day, or 1year.. you dont know) and comes lookin, you got yourself a sale. I honestly dont remember what I got, 500$, 600$ somewhere around there i think
Old 05-19-2002, 07:08 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

Originally posted by hlh0501

yes, thankyou!!

I think one thing about selling auto tranny's though, you can offer it for almost nothing, and no one will buy it if there is no need.. just set a price, keep bumping the post, and when someone blows their tranny finaly (can be 1 day, or 1year.. you dont know) and comes lookin, you got yourself a sale. I honestly dont remember what I got, 500$, 600$ somewhere around there i think
You ebay'ed it right? How many miles were on it? Me and Chaz are going to convert it, he's just gotta find a damn tranny! He said it could be 2 days or 2 months! The suspense is killing me
Old 05-19-2002, 08:46 PM
Sports Button FTW

Originally posted by Ramius83
You will have to replace the ECU if you do not want a CEL all the time. In your Auto ECU, it has a TCM (Transmission Control Module). Your ECU is directly connected to that and has sensors/controls to control the shifting. When it sees that these harnesses are cut/changed and the power is not making a round-trip from the TCM to the tranny and back to the TCM, then the CEL will go off indefinitely. So, by changing the ECU to a manual ECU, you will eliminate the TCM and therefore you may/will not get a CEL. By the way, get the harness as well for the tranny.
stupid question: how easy is it to change ecu? because i'm not really worried about it and i would get one from a junk yard but would change it after conversion just to see if things work without it...but i wouldn't want to have to open whole car again just to change it....
Old 05-19-2002, 08:52 PM

I have both in my car right now, I have the 5spd onetucked up in there, and the auto one still mounted.. for me to switch the harness, takes me about um 10 seconds... its one bolt that holds it on.. to actually take one out, is sort of a pain - unless there is some trick I Dont know. when summer comes and im not soo lazy, I'll do it b/c I wont need the auto one anymore.. I kept my auto in there b/c I used to think it put down more hp (based off of 300zx ecu knowledge).. now I know it only gives 1hp more. not worth it for CEL in my opinion. (plus driving in 1st gear at 1000rpm...being weirD)

-H
Old 05-20-2002, 07:37 AM
dot dot dot ...

Any ideas on how much clutch piping and shift linkage is from the factory?
Old 07-22-2002, 11:37 PM
Sports Button FTW

stupid question: how easy is it to change ecu? because i'm not really worried about it and i would get one from a junk yard but would change it after conversion just to see if things work without it...but i wouldn't want to have to open whole car again just to change it....
now i have 5 speed and i don't know how to change ECU...someone help me?