General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Not all Contour SVTs are easy kills for the Maxima

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2002, 10:16 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Not all Contour SVTs are easy kills for the Maxima

I went out to the track with Soon2BMaxed (Trevor) last night and meet up with the Kansas City SVT Contour group. I was running consistent 14.9s at almost 95mph and Trevor was running pretty consistently in the ultra low 15s@92 with just an intake, revised B-pipe, and muffler. The SVTs generally had intake and exhaust work. 3 of them were consistently in the mid 15s at around 90mph or so. The SC SVT had a tranny problem and didn't run, but the other NA SVT was VERY impressive. The owner had an intake, chip, full on exhaust, AFC, MAF (I believe), and a completely revised intake manifold. The SVTs come stock with variable runner intake manifolds. He removed the butterflies and did a little porting and port matching. He ran a couple 14.8s, a 14.9, and then a 14.75@95mph. His 60 foots were no better than mine, but his car really started to get going once into 2nd gear.

Dave
Old 05-16-2002, 10:27 AM
I'm needing a caw

Wow getting rid of the varible intake. Odd and interesting at the same time. I always liked the SVT contour. Ford's attempt to bring some of their European flavor to the usa. Too bad sales for this car was horrible. I liked alot of things about the SVT. Dual exhaust, mesh grile, SVT mustang style wheels, Mesh/M3 style bumper cut-out in the rear, nice motor, fairly light car, nice suspension etc...Little too small for my taste but I much rather have the SVT than maybe a Mazda 626/Honda accord/Toyota corolla etc....
Old 05-16-2002, 11:25 AM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

Yeah those SVT's are sweet! I really liked them but I guess all of the safety recalls really scared people away from them. Too bad too because those are awesome cars
Old 05-16-2002, 12:20 PM

Yea...but look how much extra work he had to do to be as fast as a basic bolt-on max...

plus it's a FORD
Old 05-16-2002, 12:23 PM
I'm needing a caw

That engine is only about 2.5 liters. Not bad for such a small na motor.

Originally posted by BriGuyMax
Yea...but look how much extra work he had to do to be as fast as a basic bolt-on max...

plus it's a FORD
Old 05-16-2002, 12:26 PM

Originally posted by Jeff92se

yea..it is impressive...but it's still a FORD...just like the old Taurus SHO...great engine..but the rest of the car falls apart.
Old 05-16-2002, 12:33 PM

Originally posted by BriGuyMax

yea..it is impressive...but it's still a FORD...just like the old Taurus SHO...great engine..but the rest of the car falls apart.
I agree with that, I traded my 94 SHO in for my Max, Sunroof motor was shot, 600 bucks to fix. AC was shot, god only knows how much to fix. And it leak coolant from somewhere that no shop could ever find. I miss the SHO from time to time, lots more aftermarker support for it, but I love the Max.
Old 05-16-2002, 12:34 PM

I used to have one before I got my Maxima . . . a 98.5 E1 SVT. I did have a few problems with it, hence the reason for selling. If not for the reliability issues, I would have gladly kept it, it was a great car. The leather seats in the Contour are sooo much better than the Max, it had a killer exhaust note (I used to drive around with the windows down just so I could hear it), it would have no problems outhandling a Maxima, but in a straight line, give me my 6-speed. Plus, those suckers are rare, I only see about one every couple of months around here.
Old 05-16-2002, 12:36 PM

That was one of the cars I was looking at when I bought my VE, but it seemed like too much money for less car (than the VE).

One of the few American 4-doors with a decent amount of power, and a 5-speed, not bad.

Old 05-16-2002, 12:50 PM

yeah, that silver SVT was pretty sweet! the guy was cool too, he knew his stuff. i like the idea of how he ported the intake manifold but i dont like the loss on low end (and having to launch so high, like 4-5k right dave?) i really wanted the SC'ed one to run but he blew the differential or something or another...my runs were pretty crappy. best 60ft was 2.31 and our cars were heatsoaked so bad i could've baked a pizza....the 12 seconmd MR2 was nice to watch whoopin' up on the viper though.

Trevor
Old 05-16-2002, 01:01 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by SteVTEC
Yeah those SVT's are sweet!
How about the new SVT mustangs!
Old 05-16-2002, 01:03 PM

Ive seen a few high 14 second SVT Contours here in the humidity. With colder temps and better conditions im sure they would hit much better times. I was impressed when i saw them run.
Old 05-16-2002, 01:23 PM
4 Maximas and counting

2.5L -> 3.0L upgrade

Over on the SVT site, there's a forum specific to 3L upgrades. These guys are putting out up to 270HP/255Ft-lbs from a 3 liter duratec.
Not too shabby. I have to decide between that for the SVT or the MEVI + bolt-ons route for the Max.
I'm curious to see if the Jaguar X-Type 3-way pipes will work on the SVTs.

Originally posted by Jeff92se
Old 05-16-2002, 02:25 PM

Re: 2.5L -> 3.0L upgrade

Originally posted by philpoe
Over on the SVT site, there's a forum specific to 3L upgrades. These guys are putting out up to 270HP/255Ft-lbs from a 3 liter duratec.
Not too shabby. I have to decide between that for the SVT or the MEVI + bolt-ons route for the Max.
I'm curious to see if the Jaguar X-Type 3-way pipes will work on the SVTs.

Very nice!
Old 05-16-2002, 09:32 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

I don't know of anyone that's putting down 270fwhp with the 3L swap unless he's running NOS or the SC. The biggest advantage of the 3L swap is that they gain some much needed torque. The problem is no one has really figured out how to tune the 3L swap.

As for the SVT that ran the 14.7@95mph last night, I got on his site and found out how modified he really was:

MSD headers/y-pipe port matched
custom programmed 75MM MAF
custom burned chip
Apexi AFC
underdrive pullies
K&N intake and heatshield
bored out 65mm TB
port matched lower and upper manifolds
variable intake butterflies removed, opened passage
relocated IAT
full catback
Dynabatt battery 13lbs

He makes 187fwhp and 163fwtq WITHOUT the new intake manifold. This motor actually makes power to 7000+ rpms. All and all, very impressive.

Dave
Old 05-16-2002, 09:44 PM

maxima torque owns contour SVT torque
Old 05-16-2002, 09:52 PM

Originally posted by mitch33x
maxima torque owns contour SVT torque
maxima = "for me to poop on".
Old 05-16-2002, 09:54 PM

Originally posted by SVTour98

maxima = "for me to poop on".
don't force me to link the video of me beating you by 20 car lengths
Old 05-16-2002, 09:54 PM

I love the "Its nice, but its still a Ford comments"

Ian
93 SHO 5 speed
Old 05-16-2002, 09:55 PM

shhh! that's supposed to be a secret! hahaha

too bad that was my first run EVER beeotch. your *** was half way down the track by the time i realized i needed to go. lol you had a great run tho! (lucky beeotch )
Old 05-16-2002, 09:58 PM

Originally posted by SVTour98

shhh! that's supposed to be a secret! hahaha

too bad that was my first run EVER beeotch. your *** was half way down the track by the time i realized i needed to go. lol you had a great run tho! (lucky beeotch )
Dan
you are still a newbie..hahahahha

Oh wait..this isn't CEG

Ian
working on new sig at some point
Old 05-17-2002, 07:13 AM
4 Maximas and counting

270HP SVTs

There was one that I saw early on in the conversions that was "heavily" modified that putting out 270 (I mean est at the crank btw). I can't recall the link, but the SHO Shop also has an SVT also supposedly gets 270.
Though they may be the exception, it's not uncommon to see 240-250HP with some combination of pipes exhaust, and ECU.

As you said, the bigger deal is that the torque gain is impressive and over a much broader range.

So much for the Yamaha 3L in the SHO (yeah, I know, available much earlier). The Duratec is apparently not to be trifled with. Dare I say that it compares favorably to a VQ with MEVI? I wonder how the JDM VQs with VI are getting 220HP and the converters here aren't seeing a peak HP jump...

Originally posted by Dave B
I don't know of anyone that's putting down 270fwhp with the 3L swap unless he's running NOS or the SC. The biggest advantage of the 3L swap is that they gain some much needed torque. The problem is no one has really figured out how to tune the 3L swap.

As for the SVT that ran the 14.7@95mph last night, I got on his site and found out how modified he really was:

MSD headers/y-pipe port matched
custom programmed 75MM MAF
custom burned chip
Apexi AFC
underdrive pullies
K&N intake and heatshield
bored out 65mm TB
port matched lower and upper manifolds
variable intake butterflies removed, opened passage
relocated IAT
full catback
Dynabatt battery 13lbs

He makes 187fwhp and 163fwtq WITHOUT the new intake manifold. This motor actually makes power to 7000+ rpms. All and all, very impressive.

Dave
Old 05-17-2002, 10:38 AM

Originally posted by Italic Ian

I love the "Its nice, but its still a Ford comments"

Ian
93 SHO 5 speed
Don't take it personal Ian. There are domestic haters everywhere.

The two I have owned in the past treated me great.

Old 05-17-2002, 10:59 AM
dot dot dot ...

those 2.5L's can go past lke 7k easily right? 1 of my friends has a probe and i think his redline is like @7.2 or 7.5 k? I dunno, cool little engine.
Old 05-17-2002, 12:57 PM

My redline is about 6.8...i have a 2.5 duratech if you didnt know
Old 05-17-2002, 04:06 PM

don't forget davey, i was there too
Old 05-17-2002, 08:46 PM

Originally posted by shi89max
My redline is about 6.8...i have a 2.5 duratech if you didnt know
I think it's closer to 7... then again i dont drive your car every day. I'm still pretty sure i shifted around 7.1 when we were at NED.

- M
Old 05-17-2002, 09:30 PM

Originally posted by mattC

I think it's closer to 7... then again i dont drive your car every day. I'm still pretty sure i shifted around 7.1 when we were at NED.

- M
nope if you hit 7 you hit the rev limiter...doesnt matter though you missed 2nd anyway
Old 05-17-2002, 09:49 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally posted by Bryan H
don't forget davey, i was there too
Yep, my 14.9@95mph to your 16.2@86mph

Dave
Old 05-17-2002, 10:57 PM
Ford Only.

16.2 in what?
Old 05-18-2002, 08:24 AM

Link me!
Old 05-18-2002, 11:33 AM

Originally posted by dmontzmax
16.2 in what?
read the 4g forums

"so i was bored weds night" thread.
Old 05-19-2002, 09:41 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

I'm so ticked. I went down to Warpspeed to get the SFC Stage 1s put on my car yesterday and while I was there, Dallas sold me the upper resonator bypass pipe so my intake setup would look a little cleaner. I was running a HKS part which was modifed to delete the upper resonator. In this pipe was a hook up for the temp sensor which I sealed off recently to relocate my temp sensor (at least I thought I sealed it right). GuidoSST (Dave) looked thru the pipe when I had it off and noticed that the hole was NOT sealed!!! I had a 1/2" open hole venting to the atmosphere in my intake after the MAF!!! No wonder my car's intake was noticably quieter and my car had felt lethargic for the past two weeks. I put the Warpspeed pipe on and my car was MUCH stronger. Dare I say it felt like I had just added a y-pipe. This ticks me off because I KNOW I would have been quicker than that SVT. I couldn't figure out why my car was doing so poorly in the 1/8 mile. Now I know.

BTW, the SFCs are incredible.

Dave
Old 05-23-2002, 11:59 AM

I'm so ticked. I went down to Warpspeed to get the SFC Stage 1s put on my car yesterday and while I was there, Dallas sold me the upper resonator bypass pipe so my intake setup would look a little cleaner. I was running a HKS part which was modifed to delete the upper resonator. In this pipe was a hook up for the temp sensor which I sealed off recently to relocate my temp sensor (at least I thought I sealed it right). GuidoSST (Dave) looked thru the pipe when I had it off and noticed that the hole was NOT sealed!!! I had a 1/2" open hole venting to the atmosphere in my intake after the MAF!!! No wonder my car's intake was noticably quieter and my car had felt lethargic for the past two weeks. I put the Warpspeed pipe on and my car was MUCH stronger. Dare I say it felt like I had just added a y-pipe. This ticks me off because I KNOW I would have been quicker than that SVT. I couldn't figure out why my car was doing so poorly in the 1/8 mile. Now I know.

BTW, the SFCs are incredible.

Dave
i was wondering why you were only running 1/10th of a second faster than me with all the mods u have....i wanna see the SFCs. i wonder if me and brian could make our own (he works at a machine shop)
Old 05-23-2002, 02:48 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally posted by Soon2BMaxed
i was wondering why you were only running 1/10th of a second faster than me with all the mods u have....i wanna see the SFCs. i wonder if me and brian could make our own (he works at a machine shop)
I too was wondering why I was only .1-.2 quicker than you. My trap speeds were a bit higher, but not my ETs. At the Image event I'll show you the SFCs. Making a custom set won't be easy. The piping is a very thick guage and requires quite a few subtle and correct bends to butt up against the unibody rails. You'd be better served paying $150 for a set that you know will fit right the first time.

BTW, I don't think I'll be racing at the Image event. I want to give my car a break from racing. Since it will be June and in the daytime, the temps are going to make for some crappy ETs. I'm pretty sure I'd be the quickest NA 4-door out there, but since there is not a bracket for NA 4-doors I'm not going to waste the time or abise on my car.

Dave
Old 05-23-2002, 08:09 PM

I too was wondering why I was only .1-.2 quicker than you. My trap speeds were a bit higher, but not my ETs. At the Image event I'll show you the SFCs. Making a custom set won't be easy. The piping is a very thick guage and requires quite a few subtle and correct bends to butt up against the unibody rails. You'd be better served paying $150 for a set that you know will fit right the first time.

BTW, I don't think I'll be racing at the Image event. I want to give my car a break from racing. Since it will be June and in the daytime, the temps are going to make for some crappy ETs. I'm pretty sure I'd be the quickest NA 4-door out there, but since there is not a bracket for NA 4-doors I'm not going to waste the time or abise on my car.

Dave
hmmmm, i still wanna take a look at the SFCs, (when me and Brian get bored, we conjure up things to make ourselves )

i am going to race at the image event, but probably not more than 2-3 runs because the im sure it will be hot and the heatsoaking does me no good. i am going to bring ice this time though. also, i got bored the other day and i was going to make a heat shield but the way my filter sits is kinda weird. with the bottom of the stock airbox on the filter sits pretty high. anyways so i put the bottom portion on, cut a piece of sheet metal to cover the back of the filter and ran a ghetto (G_H_E_T_T_O) heater hose from the hole in the airbox to the bottom of my car. it gives the "ram-air" effect. it may help and it may not. who knows, if i get enough people laughing at me then i will take it off.

Trevor

p.s. i don't want your shift boot anymore because i just got in on the leatherseats.com group deal for the e-brake boot and shifter boot.
Old 05-24-2002, 11:12 AM
Maximaniac

F-ixed
O-r
R-epaired
D-aily
Old 05-24-2002, 04:13 PM

F - Found
O - On
R - Road
D - Dead

bwwahahahahaha

wait, i drive a ford....
Old 05-25-2002, 06:10 AM

Originally posted by cmac95gxe
F-ixed
O-r
R-epaired
D-aily
When did this turn into an anti ford thread?

Ian
Old 05-25-2002, 08:07 AM

Originally posted by Italic Ian

When did this turn into an anti ford thread?

Ian
i hate fords

Quick Reply: Not all Contour SVTs are easy kills for the Maxima