General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Really crazy race with an S-Class Benz tonight.

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2002, 11:57 PM
SLOW

Really crazy race with an S-Class Benz tonight.

This occurred on BR-94, surroundings are comprised only of businesses which of course are all closed at 1am on Friday night. There is 1 lane each direction, with a 55mph speed limit and super long streches of nothing but fields on either side.

Anyhow, I was getting onto BR-94 at the last entrance before a 3 mile stretch with no other entrances or exits, and its perfectly straight just following a long sweeping curve. I noticed HID lights coming around the curve as I waited at the stop sign. Soon it became apparent that this car was hauling a$$, and as it passed me I noticed it was an S-Class Benz. I immediately gave chase. He slowed down for an SUV in front of him, from probably 80 down to 60 mph or so. I followed him, not tailgating, probably 50 feet behind him. Here's where it gets weird.

The guy gets on his brakes and comes to a complete stop in the middle of the road. At first I figured that the SUV in front of him was going to make a turn into one of the closed business parking lots. It soon became apparent that this was not the case, and the guy was just stopping in the road. I figured he wanted to race me, but honestly I wasn't sure what the heck he was doing, and I was not about to pull up next to a tinted out Benz at 1am on a dimly lit road, in the oncoming traffic lane just to race. He sat completely stopped for about 5 seconds, then took off. I gave chase. He obviously got the jump on me, but by about 80 I had matched speed with him and was beginning to close the gap between us. By 120 (I had to switch off my governor, so I know we were really moving) I had closed his lead from about 150 feet to probably 75 feet, and that was as close as I was going to get at these speeds. So I let off and as soon as I did, the guy shot into the oncoming traffic lane (there were no other cars anywhere around of course) and slammed on his brakes, again coming to a complete stop, this time in the oncoming traffic lane. I of course slowed down, but I didn't stop. I watched him in my rear view mirror as he backed up a little way, and turned into a strip club, the only open business in this whole stretch of road.

About 30 minutes later I drove back by the strip club, hoping to find out what S-class it was, 430, 500, etc. He was stopped in the entrance to the strip club talking to some guy on a crotch rocket, so I just drove by rather than stopping. I watched him in my rear view as he left the strip club and went the other way.

This was an odd race indeed. I'm not entirely sure what he was up to, but I think, and hope, he just wanted a friendly race.
Old 05-25-2002, 12:05 AM

man that is really strange, i dunno what to tell ya! Good race anyhow.
Old 05-25-2002, 08:28 AM

You showed them! Mercedes-Benz what a piece of crap
Old 05-25-2002, 08:42 AM

Originally posted by SUPER-6
All he did was tell a story of a strange encounter with a Mercedes. He didn't bash it in any way, nor did he boast about his Maxima. I think you may have missed the point.
Old 05-25-2002, 09:32 AM
SLOW

Blah blah blah.

Supermachoman, he obviously missed the point, pay him no mind. There are always those who are just sour early in the morning, he'll get over it.
Old 05-25-2002, 09:53 AM
I need a truck

Re: Really crazy race with an S-Class Benz tonight.

Originally posted by Nealoc187
and I was not about to pull up next to a tinted out Benz at 1am on a dimly lit road
neither would i .... you did the right thing
Old 05-25-2002, 10:10 AM

i rode in an S600 the other day - very powerful car, but my uncle has to gas it up like every 2 days - lol
Old 05-25-2002, 11:37 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Supermachoman

All he did was tell a story of a strange encounter with a Mercedes. He didn't bash it in any way, nor did he boast about his Maxima. I think you may have missed the point.
YOU STUPID LIAR! YOU DIDN"T BEAT A BENZ!
Old 05-25-2002, 12:20 PM

Doing 80 is not "hauling a$$", not even cruising, the guy in the Mercedes was probably more afraid of you, thinking what the hell is that ghetto racer following me for in the middle of the night. It's much more likely he was trying to lose you, not race you. Looking silly there.
Old 05-25-2002, 12:22 PM

[B. It's much more likely he was trying to lose you, not race you. Looking silly there. [/B]
How was he trying to lose him if he stopped and waited for him and if he was speeding before he even got to him? STFU
Old 05-25-2002, 03:49 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Nealoc187
By 120 (I had to switch off my governor, so I know we were really moving)
Umm, what governor...
Old 05-25-2002, 06:03 PM

Re: Re: Really crazy race with an S-Class Benz tonight.

Originally posted by Pervis Anathema

Umm, what governor...

yah thats what i was thinking... how do you "shut it off"? BS?
Old 05-25-2002, 09:51 PM

Re: Re: Re: Really crazy race with an S-Class Benz tonight.

Originally posted by magnum

Umm, the govenor that stock GXE's have... Read before you call BS
Old 05-25-2002, 10:12 PM

Re: Re: Re: Really crazy race with an S-Class Benz tonight.

Originally posted by magnum

and there is a way to disable it, and some people hook it up to a switch so they can disable it at any time, rather than keeping it disconnected all the time and dealing with the CEL
Old 05-25-2002, 10:48 PM
FJC

It's good that you stayed away...
Old 05-25-2002, 10:49 PM
FJC

he is in that benz for a reason...
Old 05-26-2002, 06:46 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

maybe he was trying to show you his little friend . from the conditions that you described. primo opportunity for things to go from okay to he!! in a micro sec. ps glad you didnt hang to see either
Old 05-26-2002, 09:46 AM
SLOW

To respond to all of you in turn:

Super-6, doing 80 in a 35mph zone around a fairly sharp sweeper is hauling, after the curve, the speed limit becomes 55mph. Coming to a complete stop in the middle of the road and then flooring it up to ~120 in a 55mph zone is hauling.... That takes care of that one...

Pervis and Magnum, GXEs have a limiter at 116 mph. I cut the wire to the transmission speed sensor on the ECU harness, its a pink and blue wire on the right side of the ECU harness as you face the harness from the passenger side of the car... please know what the hell you are talking about before you call BS. If you pay attention on this board instead of just going around calling BS, you might learn something.

Have a nice day boys, next time try being informed before you make fools of yourselves.
Old 05-26-2002, 09:49 AM

Nealoc
I think the reason they are responding that way is because you made it seem like you had a switch to turn off the governor while you were driving. Not that you disabled it awhile ago. You said that "had to switch off your governor" instead of something like "thank goodness I disconnected my governor last month."
my 2 cents.....
Old 05-26-2002, 09:55 AM
SLOW

I do have a switch. In one of the small plastic plugs just like the cruise control switch, but on the opposite side of the steering wheel. I flipped the switch, and thus "turned my governor off."

The reason for having it on a switch is that if you leave the governor permanently disabled, your cas very prone to stalling as when you depress the clutch pedal while moving, AND you will get a Check Engine Light. I have no idea why the stalling occurs, obviously the transmission speed sensor has something to do with the idle characteristics of the car.
Old 05-26-2002, 09:57 AM

Oh you do have a switch guess you told them!
Old 05-26-2002, 01:43 PM

Piece of crap?