General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

changing suspension strut question...please read

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2002, 01:52 PM
mb1

changing suspension strut question...please read

Me and Brodaiga were putting his maximas suspension back to stock. It was all going fine untill we were lowering the rear end. First we lowered the left, and we did it kind of quickly, there was some sort of sound, and liquid came pouring out. I though his strut went bad, so we moved to the right side, and did it more slowly. Still there came a sound, and the liquid slowly started pouring out. What happened??? I am going to give him my stock struts, and I want to make sure that doesn't happen when we put them on.
Old 05-25-2002, 02:17 PM

Shouldn't "pop" that quickly. No matter how fast you drop a car, I don't think a shock/strut would leak that rapidly even if the seals were blown.

Old 05-25-2002, 02:24 PM
mb1

so does it sound like the problem is with the install, or the shocks themselves?
Old 05-25-2002, 02:26 PM

Originally posted by mb1
so does it sound like the problem is with the install, or the shocks themselves?
they shouldn't be "pouring" out, worse comes to worse replace the rear shocks, simple as that. Also get advice from other members who have done suspension work or seek opinions of mechanics.

Old 05-25-2002, 11:46 PM

Originally posted by mb1

I have never heard of stuff pouring out of the strut. I don't know what could of happend
Old 05-25-2002, 11:57 PM

what does the liquid look/smell like? I remember when I was cutting open my struts for KONI inserts, the shock fluid looked a orangish color and smelled like fish are you shure its not water that was under the car that shook out?
Old 05-26-2002, 12:02 AM

Originally posted by Nismo
what does the liquid look/smell like? I remember when I was cutting open my struts for KONI inserts, the shock fluid looked a orangish color and smelled like fish are you shure its not water that was under the car that shook out?

Nismo I think that billet grill looks awesome. I wish they made it for 5th gens! or do they?
Old 05-26-2002, 12:15 AM

Originally posted by CIRCO

Nismo I think that billet grill looks awesome. I wish they made it for 5th gens! or do they?
thanks umm...Im not too up to date with 5th gens but I think all that is out so far as for alluminum is the mesh style speed grill at custommaxima.com
Old 05-26-2002, 04:47 AM

Originally posted by CIRCO

Do The Search, they do have something for the 5th gen.
Street Scenes.

Old 05-26-2002, 07:16 AM
mb1

I didn't touch it, but on the ground it had no collor, like it was clear. I didn't try smelling it either, but there was no odor in the air. How can I test if the shocks are really blown?
Old 05-26-2002, 11:57 PM

Originally posted by mb1

I didn't touch it, but on the ground it had no collor, like it was clear. I didn't try smelling it either, but there was no odor in the air. How can I test if the shocks are really blown?
is there fluid on the shock? you can try the bounce test by bouncing each corner and see how many times it bounces before it stops. shouldnt bounch more than a couple times
Old 05-27-2002, 12:00 AM
FJC

Re: changing suspension strut question...please read

Originally posted by mb1
Me and Brodaiga were putting his maximas suspension back to stock. It was all going fine untill we were lowering the rear end. First we lowered the left, and we did it kind of quickly, there was some sort of sound, and liquid came pouring out. I though his strut went bad, so we moved to the right side, and did it more slowly. Still there came a sound, and the liquid slowly started pouring out. What happened??? I am going to give him my stock struts, and I want to make sure that doesn't happen when we put them on.
That's what he gets for burning me...
Old 05-27-2002, 04:50 PM

Not even gonna go there FJC...you have your opinion and I have mine.
Old 05-27-2002, 04:52 PM
FJC

Originally posted by brodaiga
Not even gonna go there FJC...you have your opinion and I have mine.
Well, actually I have no opinion because I am only dealing with facts...

The only opinion that exists is yours which considers a "brand new" product to be brand new even when it is hacked up.

Pretty f***ed up...
Old 05-27-2002, 06:32 PM
mb1

is there fluid on the shock? you can try the bounce test by bouncing each corner and see how many times it bounces before it stops. shouldnt bounch more than a couple times

It doesn't bounce more then 1-2 times. Alex, why don't you try bouncing it again and see.
Old 05-28-2002, 03:21 PM

hey, i did bounce test, the back is very bouncy compared to the front, and my other max. Also, when the back is bounced hte shocks give less resistance compared to the front and make a strange noise, while the front give no noise and are more resistant. I read my autoshop book from highschool about shocks, these are Mcpherson type gas charged shocks. In the inner compartment is oil that cushions and gives the shock strength, that's what leaked of the shocks, from my understanding, the shocks are completely useless and dangerous to drive on cause of the leakage. BTW, I installed the stock intake and now the car can run, but I do not want to use the shocks, did you have a chance to do the agx/sprint swap, cause I need to sell my car, Spasiba