General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Help!! I Need My Car To Live

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2002, 03:31 PM

Help!! I Need My Car To Live

OK so the other day a belt on my 87 maxima broke off. It was worn I should have replaced it long ago, I know. Right as it broke off my interior warning lights came on and stayed on, the sensor light and my check engine soon light etc... So not only did those light up, the next day my car started to stall out, and I actually had to jump it, along with that, the blinkers are dim, the windows and wipers are moving very slow, not to mention not being able to even turn my deck on. Obviously the battery is getting drained a large amount, could this snapped belt (which im not sure which one it is) be the only reason for this?
Old 06-06-2002, 03:58 PM

Re: Help!! I Need My Car To Live

Originally posted by Brendan
OK so the other day a belt on my 87 maxima broke off. It was worn I should have replaced it long ago, I know. Right as it broke off my interior warning lights came on and stayed on, the sensor light and my check engine soon light etc... So not only did those light up, the next day my car started to stall out, and I actually had to jump it, along with that, the blinkers are dim, the windows and wipers are moving very slow, not to mention not being able to even turn my deck on. Obviously the battery is getting drained a large amount, could this snapped belt (which im not sure which one it is) be the only reason for this?
My buddy used to have an 85 back in the early 90's. He had the symptoms that you had and chose to ignore it, though his belt was not broken. Basically the battery was getting discharged everytime he drove. Eventually he had to get a new alternator and battery. If he had paid attention he may have been able to just get the battery, but that's not certain. I remember that night I had to drive all the way to Harlem to pick him up as he couldn't get through to AAA. That was crazy, all these people would try to look under his hood and he kept telling them to get away from his car.

I'd suggest you get a $29 battery and put it in and see what happens. If that also discharges then you need an alternator most likely.
Old 06-06-2002, 04:04 PM
I'm needing a caw

Put on a new alternator belt. No belt=no battery recharging.
Old 06-06-2002, 04:06 PM

Originally posted by Jeff92se
Put on a new alternator belt. No belt=no battery recharging.
Thank you, that is what i was looking for, just had to make sure, thanks again.
Old 06-06-2002, 08:40 PM

Are you F***ing serious....you broke a belt and didn't replace it....those things are there for a reason and if they break something will not work....and since your altenator belt broke it stoped charging your battery hence the loss in electricity...did u think nothing was gonna happen when it broke off?
Old 06-06-2002, 08:41 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

you gotta fix the belts
Old 06-06-2002, 08:50 PM

Originally posted by MillerTyme
Are you F***ing serious....you broke a belt and didn't replace it....those things are there for a reason and if they break something will not work....and since your altenator belt broke it stoped charging your battery hence the loss in electricity...did u think nothing was gonna happen when it broke off?
Obviously i was planning on replacing it right away, it broke without me knowing, and i just found out today
Old 06-06-2002, 08:55 PM

Sounds like the pully to your alternator broke...thus you are running off of your battery. But I know little of the workings of newer cars...just going from my muscle car experience.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-06-2002, 08:59 PM

PS, if that broke, then I would venture to say your car is overdue for its servicing and other belts and hoses may be ready to go as well. What year is your Max? Dependant upon same, you may also have a timing belt, which if you allow that to go, you will ruin your engine. Get you regular 60K checkup/tune-up/belt replacements religiously and you'll be able to get 250k+ out of your Maxima like I did with my first one (which incidently would still be on the road had not an idiot totalled her.)