General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Specific Spring Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2002, 04:50 PM

Specific Spring Question

Hey,

Right now I am riding on Cut ST springs and tokicos. It is really low and looks great with a little less than 2 fingers front and back.

The problem is it is quite harsh, jaring passangers and ratteling the interior over major bumps. Bouncing is not really a problem.

The question is will I be happier with Sprints or are they just as bad. Or Does anyone else have any other suggestions?

Thanks
Old 06-06-2002, 05:49 PM
mb1

Re: Specific Spring Question

Originally posted by Canuck
Hey,

Right now I am riding on Cut ST springs and tokicos. It is really low and looks great with a little less than 2 fingers front and back.

The problem is it is quite harsh, jaring passangers and ratteling the interior over major bumps. Bouncing is not really a problem.

The question is will I be happier with Sprints or are they just as bad. Or Does anyone else have any other suggestions?

Thanks
My sprints have a wheelgap of a little over 2 fingers in front, but the back is a different story. The ride is amazingly smooth, but thats probably cuz of the AGX's, and the well maintained roads of suburban Atlanta. I think you should get sprints, and cut the rears if you'd like.
Old 06-06-2002, 06:43 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Hey,

Thanks
BAH! just drive it! j/k.

i have cut eibach and tokico. yeah, the ride is jarring sometimes, but most times.

i think if you bought different shocks(like AGXs), it might acutally give you much better ride..
Old 06-06-2002, 06:57 PM

The problem is that I spend most of the year in a Mountain City where the roads are bad and the maintanance budget is worse. This make NYClook good. The problem is that instead of the spring comprXessing it is so stiff that the body jars up. Is this much of a problem with sprints. I am also going to get AGX sooner or later.
Old 06-06-2002, 08:36 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Sprints ride a whole lot better, but keep in mind you lower the car you haul @zzz thru potholes and bumps ride will be very nasty. I slow down when going over railroad tracks etc...what type of shocks do you have? you may need to go with a good adjustable shock like Koni or AGX to set the rebound at a smooth ride. But if you dont like the ride try sprints.
Old 06-06-2002, 08:41 PM

Re: Re: Specific Spring Question

Originally posted by JAY25
Sprints ride a whole lot better, but keep in mind you lower the car you haul @zzz thru potholes and bumps ride will be very nasty. I slow down when going over railroad tracks etc...what type of shocks do you have? you may need to go with a good adjustable shock like Koni or AGX to set the rebound at a smooth ride. But if you dont like the ride try sprints.
I try and slow down as much as possible but it doesn't seem to matter I don't get speeding tickets though because I seem to drive so slow. I also have tokicos which don't help, but it seems to be that the springs are just really stiff.
Old 06-06-2002, 09:10 PM

Re: Re: Re: Specific Spring Question

I try and slow down as much as possible but it doesn't seem to matter I don't get speeding tickets though because I seem to drive so slow. I also have tokicos which don't help, but it seems to be that the springs are just really stiff.
Tockico is not the ideal shock for your setup, I myself have cut front springs and if I set my Koni for a soft setting it will absorb quite a bit of the bump when I hit it.
Old 06-07-2002, 07:55 AM

So is it more of a strut problem or a spring problem?
Old 06-07-2002, 08:06 AM

Your suspension does not have enough travel, you can go to a better shock it may help out a little. If you do a search many people want a show car but is not going to be a cush daily driver especially in the stup!d roads that myself and you live in. We got it pretty bad, I got it so bad that you if you see the pic of my sig, you can see the stillen Lip, I had to remove my since I am rolling on 15's, Ill rip it right off too many potholes and bumps on the actual road. But yes the shock will help I myself can vouch for that. Replace the Front ones at least with good adjustable shocks. I personally went with Koni, comes with lifetime warranty over the KYB AGX. KYB is awesome front and rears they are both external adjustable unlike the rear Koni. so it has its pros and cons.
Old 06-07-2002, 08:11 AM

I think I will try and get both AGX and Sprints, now all I have to do is find the best price.
Old 06-07-2002, 09:07 AM

like the others have mentioned, your problem is two-fold: both the spring and shock setup you have is the culprit. The ride is bouncy because of the under-valved shock along with cut springs. Once you install the AGXs, the ride will be a little stiffer but it won't bounce due to the higher valving.
Old 06-07-2002, 03:28 PM

Originally posted by got rice?
like the others have mentioned, your problem is two-fold: both the spring and shock setup you have is the culprit. The ride is bouncy because of the under-valved shock along with cut springs. Once you install the AGXs, the ride will be a little stiffer but it won't bounce due to the higher valving.
Bouncing isn't really a problem. Suprisingly, the Tokicos are performing better than I anticipated, but they might not work so well on a less stiff spring like the sprints. Would the sprints really make a difference with the harshness of the ride.

Thanks