General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Y-pipe fix idea

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2002, 09:56 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Y-pipe fix idea

I posted this in the 5th-gen forum, just posting it here because it could work on any generation.

I haven't really had the time or inclination to do the "cold cat" test at inspection station (park it overnight, then start it cold with the aftermarket Y-pipe and see how badly it fails emissions testing).

My newest suggestion is to install some sort of supplemental cat that connects to the end of the exhaust. It could be just like connecting a Random Technology cat to the end of the exhaust. You could fit a stretchy rubber connector on one side of the cat and that would connect to the exhaust. The other side you can leave open or partially close off. That way the exhaust that is produced when you start up cold doesn't escape easily and can be converted so it releases less pollutants. My only concern then is any damage you might cause by trapping those exhaust fumes. I guess we could make a small opening. You'd only have to leave the supplemental cat on until the car is warmed up, then you could take it off and put it in the trunk.

Now, I understand that the end-cat would also need to warm up before it is effective, so maybe we could use something like whatever is used in the pre-cats on the stock Y-pipe. Those don't seem to need to warm up before they work, right?

If nothing else, I plan to cut the pre-cats out of the stock Y-pipe and fit them into some sort of tube that I can attach to the exhaust on cold startup. If I do this, I will definitely do the inspection test to see if it helps. If someone wants to help make these and sell them, I'd like 20% of profits for my idea Just kidding... no, seriously...
Old 06-08-2002, 06:56 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I think the reason the pre-cats heat up and begin working so quickly is because the are so close to the engine. Anything that you added farther away from the engine probably wouln't help much.

I don't think I understand your idea compleatly, would you stop and take this off every day after you drove for 5 min? Or was this something to be used only at inspection time? If the car is warmed up you should pass inspection and I don't think the emissions produced before the main cat warms up are seriously hurting the eviornment. I think you are trying to solve a problem that does not really exist.