General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Accident question? (long) please help..

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2002, 10:05 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Accident question? (long) please help..

I got into a minor accident about a 15 days ago.. the kid made an illegal right turn and clipped off my front driver side bumper.. I was at a stop… and he made an illegal turn.. I’m alone and he’s with four of his friends.. he jumped out of his ’89 towncar.. and tells me lets settle.. and then says it my fault since I was at a stop sign and my nose was sticking out... and he immediately denies that he didn’t make an illegal right turn and claims that he made a legal left turn.. in the end. I’m worried that since I’m 21 with a clean record except for one double the speed limit ticket that is still in trial.. not wanting my insurance to go up.. especially since this stupid kids story started to change I decided that would just forget about it.. anyway this kid decides to call me 15 days later .. and threats me to pay for the scratch on his ’89 towncar..? and now he says hes going to report it as my fault.. what do I do.. ? now I’m ****ed and confused…. I told the kid then to report it to the cops at the time of the accident… but he wanted to forget it.. he’s such a d*ck.. why is he trying to play me.. ? now what should i do?
Old 06-07-2002, 10:34 PM

I know this is no help now, but in the future, call the cops immediately, no matter what. If you weren't moving when the accident occured, you should have left the car exactly where it was until the cops arrive. That said, I don't quit understand what happened. You said he made a righthand turn and took off your bumper? How did he do this? Was he on the left of you and turned in front of you? If so he has no case. The scratch on his car will show this (being on the right side). Otherwise, about the only thing in your favour will be the damage to your car since an examination of it should reveal you weren't moving at the time of the accident and it was he who hit you. Whether you were too far into the intersection or not doesn't matter. You were stationary and it was his responsibility to complete his turn safely. Tell him this and tell him the damage to your car proves hit. Then call the cops. The longer you take the worst it makes you look. I know this because a similar thing happened to me. Somebody cut me off and ended up getting his bumper scratched. I told the driver to call the cops at the scene with the cell phone I saw on his belt but he refused to. Three weeks later though I get a call from the cops charging me with following too close and now I have no access to witnesses or evidence from the scene. I'm still waiting for a court date but I've already learned my lesson. Always have the cops come out, no matter how minor the damage.
Old 06-07-2002, 10:48 PM
lcf

Re: Accident question? (long) please help..

Originally posted by Champagne97
I got into a minor accident about a 15 days ago.. the kid made an illegal right turn and clipped off my front driver side bumper.. I was at a stop… and he made an illegal turn.. I’m alone and he’s with four of his friends.. he jumped out of his ’89 towncar.. and tells me lets settle.. and then says it my fault since I was at a stop sign and my nose was sticking out... and he immediately denies that he didn’t make an illegal right turn and claims that he made a legal left turn.. in the end. I’m worried that since I’m 21 with a clean record except for one double the speed limit ticket that is still in trial.. not wanting my insurance to go up.. especially since this stupid kids story started to change I decided that would just forget about it.. anyway this kid decides to call me 15 days later .. and threats me to pay for the scratch on his ’89 towncar..? and now he says hes going to report it as my fault.. what do I do.. ? now I’m ****ed and confused…. I told the kid then to report it to the cops at the time of the accident… but he wanted to forget it.. he’s such a d*ck.. why is he trying to play me.. ? now what should i do?
if youre not at fault... always call the police immediately!!!!

call him back and tell him to own up to what he did or youre going to contact your attorney. its possible this will scare him into paying you what he owes. if hes one of those guys that kinda shrugs stuff off and doesnt really care... you may actually HAVE to get an attorney. even then, im not sure what the law can do for you since you didnt get the law involved.

did you get his full name/plates/insurance info? call your insurance agent and tell them what happened. theyll contact his insurance and theyll work something out.

unfortunately, sometimes even when youre not at fault your premium will go up if youre involved in an accident. its happened to me.

best of good luck!
Old 06-08-2002, 03:01 PM
U wanna try me young boy?

File a police report. even now. Go do it. Note the location of damage.

It doesn't matter what you were doing. You car was stationery - you are safe. If you car is not moving then how can you cause an accident. If you stop your car in the middle of the road, and sometime later (ie not as a result of you braking suddenly) and someone runs into your stationery car then it is their fault. You reported to your insurance, right?
Old 06-08-2002, 03:51 PM

Explain to him that filing a false report may be a felony. That the evidence will explain how it happened and that you are filing a police report and contacting your ins co. UNless he was a pimp, Chances are he had his daddy's car and daddy got ****ed with the new scratch (Really what not AARP member drives an 89 towncar?). The advice you had above is good and I wil not duplicate advice already provided. Good luck.