General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

please help with susp. problem when parking

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2002, 11:44 PM

please help with susp. problem when parking

My 96 max with porgress spring and tocks is having problems. When Im pulling in and out of my parking spot my suspention makes a wierd sound/motion. When I turn the wheel all the way to the left when Im parking I hear a loud groaing sound and can feel it threw the pedals and steering wheel. The car also seems to rock a little. I dont think its coming from the top of strut assemble. Any help would be appriciated. Thnaks
Old 06-10-2002, 11:49 PM

Re: please help with susp. problem when parking

Originally posted by fsumax
My 96 max with porgress spring and tocks is having problems. When Im pulling in and out of my parking spot my suspention makes a wierd sound/motion. When I turn the wheel all the way to the left when Im parking I hear a loud groaing sound and can feel it threw the pedals and steering wheel. The car also seems to rock a little. I dont think its coming from the top of strut assemble. Any help would be appriciated. Thnaks
your strut bearings(plastic washers) are either not seated correctly or they need to be lubed.
Old 06-11-2002, 12:33 AM

Do you really think thats the cause? I have read about the problem a hundred times on the org. The fact that I can feel it in the pedals and wheel and that the car seems to ossilate a little when it happens make me think it has to be more then a pansey little plastic washer. But maby Im just being dramatic and thinking there is more to the problem then there is. Do you have to take off the whole strut ***. to replace it?
Old 06-11-2002, 12:37 AM

Re: please help with susp. problem when parking

Both of my Max(97) and my g/f's Altima(01) makes that groaling sounds when we turn the wheel in parking lot. Her car is only 10K miles and it's funny that new car making that kind of noisy. What's wrong?
Old 06-11-2002, 12:52 AM

Do you really think thats the cause? I have read about the problem a hundred times on the org. The fact that I can feel it in the pedals and wheel and that the car seems to ossilate a little when it happens make me think it has to be more then a pansey little plastic washer. But maby Im just being dramatic and thinking there is more to the problem then there is. Do you have to take off the whole strut ***. to replace it?
the plastic washers allow the strut assembly to rotate smoothly when you turn your wheel. If the strut bearings are damaged or not lubed, it will be harder for the strut to rotate and cause friction on the strut bearings, causing the groaning noise.