General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Which first VB or VI

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2002, 12:59 PM

Which first VB or VI

Which mod should I get first: A Dons VB Mod + Tranny cooler, or a Variable Intake? They both will come out to about the same price.
-Brian
Old 06-12-2002, 01:11 PM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

VI

Get the VB a month later!
Old 06-12-2002, 01:41 PM

VI
Old 06-12-2002, 01:42 PM

What exactley does a VI do? Whenever I ask this question they always point me to a website that shows how to install it! Where do I gain power, top end, low end? Will I get any HP or Torque increase if so how much?
Old 06-12-2002, 01:56 PM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=120410
Old 06-12-2002, 02:04 PM

Re: Which first VB or VI

Originally posted by BBaker025
Which mod should I get first: A Dons VB Mod + Tranny cooler, or a Variable Intake? They both will come out to about the same price.
-Brian
Dont waste your money on the VB...

I've got it and lemme tell you it was a complete waste of my time, money, and effort.

Of course I told Don about it and of the few e-mails he actually returned he gave me stuff about my tranny is old and worn out and slipping, blah blah, my clutch packs are "worn", blah blah. Granted, any car with some mileage on it is gonna be "worn", but my tranny was/is in tip-top shape. One of the whole points of the VB mod is to help improve slipping/"worn" transmissions anyway. He'd never reply after that.

From what I can gather a considerable amount of others have had the same problem/complaints as me.
Old 06-12-2002, 02:23 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by BBaker025
What exactley does a VI do? Whenever I ask this question they always point me to a website that shows how to install it! Where do I gain power, top end, low end? Will I get any HP or Torque increase if so how much?
A VI improves the VQ's ability to breath at higher rpms. If you look at a stock VQ's hp curve it peaks around 5200-5400 rpms and then drops rapidly. With the VI the hp peak moves up to 6100 rpms and stays there. The VI is a top end hp mod. At redline my increase was 37 hp over baseline. With a hybrid intake installed my peak hp increased by 7 hp. However I did suffer a mid range loss and my peak torque decreased by 6 ft.lbs.

When Mr. Cranman dynoed his VI with a JWT ecu he expeirenced no midrange loss and gained 35 hp at redline and I forget what his peak hp gain was.
VI dynoes
Old 06-12-2002, 03:10 PM

Re: Re: Which first VB or VI

Originally posted by James12345

I've got it and lemme tell you it was a complete waste of my time, money, and effort.

Of course I told Don about it and of the few e-mails he actually returned he gave me stuff about my tranny is old and worn out and slipping, blah blah, my clutch packs are "worn", blah blah. Granted, any car with some mileage on it is gonna be "worn", but my tranny was/is in tip-top shape. One of the whole points of the VB mod is to help improve slipping/"worn" transmissions anyway. He'd never reply after that.
*sorry you're dissapointed, but there is NO PLACE on our site that indicates this modification " help improve slipping/"worn" transmissions. If you purchased to fix a bad tranny, you purchased outside of our recommendations.

From what I can gather a considerable amount of others have had the same problem/complaints as me.
If by "considerable" you mean 1-2, you are probably right, but we haven't heard of it. If anyone is complaining about the performance of this mod, they aren't complaining here or directly to us
Old 06-12-2002, 03:21 PM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Lesson 1:

Valvebody does not equal entire transmission.

I have a difficult time believing your contention that a "considerable" amount of members have the same issues. I know because I've been here for 5 years.
Old 06-12-2002, 03:41 PM
dot dot dot ...

VI
Old 06-12-2002, 04:09 PM

Funny, I chirped 2nd on 26lb, 18" ZR rated tires last week. Couldn't of been the VB mod
Old 06-12-2002, 05:01 PM

Re: Re: Re: Which first VB or VI

Originally posted by Don in Texas
*sorry you're dissapointed, but there is NO PLACE on our site that indicates this modification " help improve slipping/"worn" transmissions. If you purchased to fix a bad tranny, you purchased outside of our recommendations.
I never said your site stated that. What I meant was what the VB does (in theory) is eliminates the slipping, hesitancy, speed, whatever you want to call it in between shifts.

I didnt buy it to fix a dying tranny, like I said my tranny is in pretty good shape. But what if someone did have a dying tranny, you're saying getting the VB mod would be outside your recomendations? Apparently you originated the VB mod for the sole purpose of that stated above...

When I did my ValveBody modification almost two years ago, it was to increase the life of my
slowly dying automatic transmission.

If by "considerable" you mean 1-2, you are probably right, but we haven't heard of it. If anyone is complaining about the performance of this mod, they aren't complaining here or directly to us
By considerable I mean 4-5 that I've heard of. I mean I'm not a totally isolated case.

Obviously I'm an unhappy customer. Don, answering my questions/e-mails after the install certainly isnt too much to ask. Ignoring them obviously didnt help things. But no need to jump all over me fella's. I didnt intend to bash the VB mod, but clearly I'm not impressed with mine. I dont expect you guys to "side" with me (not that this is a 'war'). If the VB mod did wonders for me I obviously wouldnt be sitting here wasting my time and I'd be in the majority praising it with everyone else. However, you must certainly see my point. Maybe there should be a disclaimer that if you have an older tranny and it's not in perfect shape on a brand new car or brand new rebuilt tranny then you shouldnt consider purchasing the VB?

I've been here for 2 years...if Max.org has been around for 5 years that's news to me.
Old 06-12-2002, 05:43 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

Re: Re: Re: Re: Which first VB or VI

I've been here for 2 years...if Max.org has been around for 5 years that's news to me.

It's been around for about 4 years to my knowledge, in some form or another.

BTW you may have been around.. a join date of 2002 does not support that

and to stay on topic, the VI would be my vote
Old 06-12-2002, 06:53 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Which first VB or VI

Originally posted by bags533

It's been around for about 4 years to my knowledge, in some form or another.

BTW you may have been around.. a join date of 2002 does not support that

and to stay on topic, the VI would be my vote
I've been on Max.org just about since it was created. I'm member 503, joined less than 2 weeks after Max.org was created. I'm by no means a newbie. I didnt post on the other message boards/sites before Max.org was created in 2000, but I did lurk those and do remember.

For those that dont know....me = James92se

For some reason I cant post/reply from James92se so I made this one so I can be able to post.

Just because I've got a new name and newbie status, I'm by no means whatsoever new...

If Jambo will reply to my PM and help me solve my account problem, then I'll be posting from my usual name again.
Old 06-12-2002, 06:56 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Which first VB or VI

I dont know why yall are bull****ting Ive seen quite a few people complain about the VB mod. Ive seen the same amount complain they sent don their money and they got no response after weeks. Check the dealership board RIGHT NOW. Whats up with that Don?
Old 06-12-2002, 07:04 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Which first VB or VI

Just because I've got a new name and newbie status, I'm by no means whatsoever new...
SHUT UP NEWBIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and paint my front lip!!!!!!!!
Old 06-12-2002, 07:09 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Which first VB or VI

I've been on Max.org just about since it was created. I'm member 503, joined less than 2 weeks after Max.org was created. I'm by no means a newbie. I didnt post on the other message boards/sites before Max.org was created in 2000, but I did lurk those and do remember.

For those that dont know....me = James92se

For some reason I cant post/reply from James92se so I made this one so I can be able to post.

If Jambo will reply to my PM and help me solve my account problem, then I'll be posting from my usual name again.
Notice, I said "support"... I try to stay away from the newbie = new/dumba$$ thoughts.

But anyway, just wanted you to know I was not trying to kick sand in your face
Old 06-12-2002, 07:15 PM

DA-MAX

Paint is coming soon along with filled in middle trunk piece.

Bags, I know you werent, just trying to clear a few things up. Bill seemed to think that I havent been around or something.

LOL boy we're way off topic now....haha
Old 06-12-2002, 07:29 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

Bags, I know you werent, just trying to clear a few things up. Bill seemed to think that I havent been around or something.

LOL boy we're way off topic now....haha

since off topic..nice ride
Old 06-12-2002, 08:19 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Get the VI. The VB is good, but not great. It does improve the shifts, but don't expect the lag to be gone, it's still there. I think is more for the protection of the tranny than performance. So unless you have a SC, Turbo, and/or nitrous, I say skip the VB. The VB does seem still help in everyday driving, but doesn't seem to help much on the track. I got a great deal when I got my VB, so I can't really complain.
Old 06-12-2002, 09:20 PM

ive only been in a supercharged max with the vb mod and its hard to notice there.. ive heard good stuff about the vbmod besides the fact that it will actually help your car..

unfortunately it take quite some time to get the VI so it's a choice you have to make. I am thinking about getting a VI because I can sell my polished intake manifold for a decent amount of money...

eventually you will need the vbmod if you start going fast enough.
Old 06-12-2002, 09:26 PM

Re: Re: Re: Which first VB or VI

Originally posted by ereet
Funny, I chirped 2nd on 26lb, 18" ZR rated tires last week. Couldn't of been the VB mod

by the way what did you do to your eibachs to make it siit like that
Old 06-12-2002, 10:11 PM

Originally posted by Cumalot
Get the VI. The VB is good, but not great. It does improve the shifts, but don't expect the lag to be gone, it's still there. I think is more for the protection of the tranny than performance. So unless you have a SC, Turbo, and/or nitrous, I say skip the VB. The VB does seem still help in everyday driving, but doesn't seem to help much on the track. I got a great deal when I got my VB, so I can't really complain.
Cumalot warned me about his experience with the VB but I went and got it anyway. Im happy with the product as it has been very helpful in both daily driving and on the track. Don's 6 tenth claim didnt happen for me but I was able to get a consistent 2 tenths. Overall, my car is more fun to drive post-VB.

BigSadler: I meant to talk to you at the NJ meet but I didnt get a chance to. Buying your spare rims/tires has been a very positive investment for me. Thanks again.
Old 06-13-2002, 07:09 AM

Originally posted by DCmax

BigSadler: I meant to talk to you at the NJ meet but I didnt get a chance to. Buying your spare rims/tires has been a very positive investment for me. Thanks again.
Not a problem.. Thank you for helping out with the added shipping expenses, too bad all .org members aren't as helpful.

It seems like a bunch of people have been e-mailing me and IMing me saying they wanted to talk to me, I was probably too busy drooling over tony's car, and thai's car, and jeff's car, and ange's, etc etc.. a lot of nice cars there.