General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.
View Poll Results: Do you ware your seatbelt?
Always - I love my friends and family
88.31%
Sometimes - OK I have bad days
7.79%
Never - I have good life insurance
3.90%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Do you ware your seatbelts?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2002, 10:56 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Do you ware your seatbelts?

I use mine all the time. It makes me feel more connected to my car when I'm driving.

Buckle up - It saves lives.

Seatbelts should always be used in vehicles equipped with an air bag deployment system. The force of the air bag combined with your body weight being thrown forward could severely injure you if your not buckled up.
Old 06-14-2002, 11:13 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Always. I feel naked without them.
Old 06-14-2002, 11:28 AM
It's chrome alright...

thought it was funny

I had to move my car so my wife could get her car out of the driveway... and I put on my seatbelt. It's a good habit, though.

I have a friend who refuses to put on a seatbelt because of something she read about someone getting trapped and burning to death. I tried the whole "odds" argument but she isn't rational about it... says she want to be "thrown clear of the car" instead. I told her "you mean 'thrown dead' right?" Whenever we go out, she drives because I won't let her in my car without a seatbelt.
Old 06-14-2002, 11:34 AM

Yes, I always wear my seatbelt.

But this poll has been done before.
Old 06-14-2002, 11:41 AM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

do my best to remember

Honestly I don't always remember. I never intentionaly leave if off. Many times when I am getting in and out of my car a lot I forgett. I seem to always remember when I am on the highway or am driving fast, the speed makes me think.
A woman I work with also says she won't wear her seat belt because her son died in a car wreck and was wearing his seatbelt. His friend that was with him was thrown from the car, he was not wearing a seat belt, and survived. She uses this ridiculous rational not to wear one.
Old 06-14-2002, 11:42 AM

Honestly I wear my seatbelt about 50% of the time....
Old 06-14-2002, 11:48 AM

My Mom engrained this idea into our heads since we were little. We would always have to have our seatbelts on before the car started moving, if we didn't have them on.. we didn't go anywhere and we would just sit in the car. Of course this was always followed up by the "If you don't put your seatbelts on we aren't going to McDonalds" but to this day I NEVER get into a car without reaching for the seatbelt. My Mom and brother were in a head on collision that could have possibly killed them both if they weren't wearing their seatbelts.. thank God my Mom nagged us when we were little about them.
Old 06-14-2002, 11:52 AM

Of course! I got used to them now. No matter where I go, or how short/long of a distance, I still put them on. You never know.
Old 06-14-2002, 11:54 AM

i've had my car for a year and 1/2, i've worn my seatbelt 1 time comin home around 3am when i wasn't exactly "seeing straight" but it's no big deal if you live in the city b/c everywhere u drive is 10 minutes away w/stop signs and lights every 5 feet, there's no room for a huge or high speed collision, no biggie really
Old 06-14-2002, 12:06 PM

Originally posted by maxichic
i've had my car for a year and 1/2, i've worn my seatbelt 1 time comin home around 3am when i wasn't exactly "seeing straight" but it's no big deal if you live in the city b/c everywhere u drive is 10 minutes away w/stop signs and lights every 5 feet, there's no room for a huge or high speed collision, no biggie really
Yeah, you think that until some idiot runs the stop sign/stop light and flattens your car.. but maybe it's different from here. In TX you can get a good 50-60 mph going in between stop lights... I've seen some nasty collisions at stop lights.
Old 06-14-2002, 12:09 PM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

Originally posted by maxichic
be careful...i know you're in philly...i've seen some pretty sh*tty accidents in the city. it may be stop and go but there are too many idiots out there...
Old 06-14-2002, 12:10 PM
pro

I can't concentrate without mine on. I feel naked and feel like it's just weird. It's a habit for me, Ive been doing it since I was 5.
Paul
Old 06-14-2002, 12:14 PM

always wear mine...it's a habit, as soon as i sit down, before i even start the car, the belt goes on...also, everyone else who is in my car must wear a belt as well, or they ain't goin nowhere
Old 06-14-2002, 12:16 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

I'm glad to see we have a lot of smart members here on the org.
Old 06-14-2002, 12:19 PM

Originally posted by Mustang1999

Yeah, you think that until some idiot runs the stop sign/stop light and flattens your car.. but maybe it's different from here. In TX you can get a good 50-60 mph going in between stop lights... I've seen some nasty collisions at stop lights.
50-60 mph ? haha yea i wish it was like that here lol
Old 06-14-2002, 12:23 PM

Only time I wear mine is when the local authorities hold that "click it or ticket." Whats crazy is that in South Carolina you will get a ticket for not wearing your seatbelt, but you can ride a motorcycle without a helmet.
Old 06-14-2002, 12:36 PM
Chick specializing in rounding up 100+ Maximas

When I started driving few years back.. 80% of the time I didn't wear seatbelts.

The past 3 years I got into the habit of wearing the seatbelt all the time... for my own safety, and to avoid getting pulled over for nonesense like that.

My mom however, never wears the seatbelt when she rides with me. I'd like to get her in the habit of doing so but not sure how. Suggestions are welcome.
Old 06-14-2002, 12:46 PM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Originally posted by 97MaxGurl
My mom however, never wears the seatbelt when she rides with me. I'd like to get her in the habit of doing so but not sure how. Suggestions are welcome.
After banding my head on the steering wheel WHILE wearing my seatbelt (crappy GM cars) I became even more of a believer.

My girlfriend, now wife, would not "remember" to wear her belt. I would not drive my car until she did. She would get disgrunteld at times but tough...I love her...

The bad thing is I was riding my buddies motorcycle one day and saw her and followed her to say hi, she was not wearing the belt. I told her point blank...no more belt no more me. I am not goin to do this. Never had a problem with is since.
Old 06-14-2002, 12:49 PM

I always wear mine and advise other to do so, but >>

I can describe a case where a person's life was saved by not wearing it.

My neighbor (not the smartest of guys) was driving drunk at speeds exceeding 100mph in his 1996 325i. Needless to say, he lost control, and according to witnesses, was thrown from the car (it was determined that he flew through the moonroof) BEFORE the car tumbled about 12-14 times. There wasn't much left of the car and the EMTs on site claimed that he would've probably been killed if he had worn his seatbelt.

Anywho...wear your seatbelt dammit.
Old 06-14-2002, 12:52 PM

Originally posted by deezo
Always. I feel naked without them.
Ya me too, it just feels so weird not wearing them while the car is moving. Even if its like half a block drive or anything I ALWAYS buckle up....i have some friends that don't and I just don't understand how they can drive without one on
Old 06-14-2002, 12:53 PM
Maxima Princess

[QUOTE]Originally posted by maxichic
i've had my car for a year and 1/2, i've worn my seatbelt 1 time comin home around 3am when i wasn't exactly "seeing straight" but it's no big deal if you live in the city b/c everywhere u drive is 10 minutes away w/stop signs and lights every 5 feet, there's no room for a huge or high speed collision, no biggie really [/QUOTE

**This is not intended as a flame...just my $0.02**

Funny, they say most accidents happen within 5 miles of your home. If everything is about 10 minutes away from each other, I would say you weren't traveling to far from home most of the time. I could be wrong, but especially if you live in the city, even if there are not a lot of stop signs or lights, there are more people...hence the bigger chance of an accident.

BTW I always wear my seatbelt...even if I'm driving 10 feet...It's been engrained into my head since I 'was in 5th grade and saw a horrible movie about accidents without seatbelts, that I wear my seatbelt.
Old 06-14-2002, 01:00 PM

Re: I always wear mine and advise other to do so, but >>

Originally posted by Albertt
I can describe a case where a person's life was saved by not wearing it.

My neighbor (not the smartest of guys) was driving drunk at speeds exceeding 100mph in his 1996 325i. Needless to say, he lost control, and according to witnesses, was thrown from the car (it was determined that he flew through the moonroof) BEFORE the car tumbled about 12-14 times. There wasn't much left of the car and the EMTs on site claimed that he would've probably been killed if he had worn his seatbelt.

Anywho...wear your seatbelt dammit.
It always seems that drunk drivers come away from some horrible accidents. Sadly the others are the ones that pay. Just isn't right.
Old 06-14-2002, 01:02 PM
I'm needing a caw

If you own a 3-gen, you don't really have a choice. At least for 1/2 of a seatbelt.
Old 06-14-2002, 01:03 PM
Maxima Princess

Originally posted by Jeff92se
If you own a 3-gen, you don't really have a choice. At least for 1/2 of a seatbelt.
That's true...I kinda miss that feature...
Old 06-14-2002, 01:05 PM
I'm needing a caw

Wife hates it. It ususally wraps around her head and makes her look like Tonto

Originally posted by Sarah99GXE

That's true...I kinda miss that feature...
Old 06-14-2002, 01:06 PM
Maxima Princess

Wife hates it. It ususally wraps around her head and makes her look like Tonto

LOl! Yeah I liked the feature, however none of my passengers could get used to it...always did the same thing to them!
Old 06-14-2002, 01:46 PM
Maxima owner since 2000

i don't "ware" my seatbelt because i don't like to share my seatbelt with others. but i do "wear" my seatbelt everytime i step into my car; even if it is to move the car from the garage to the driveway.
Old 06-14-2002, 01:49 PM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

makes it 10X worse if you don't buckle the lap portion...more harm than good
Old 06-14-2002, 02:23 PM
MAX

ALWAYS

Seatbelt saved my life in an accident, now I feel weird w/o one on.
Old 06-14-2002, 02:41 PM

Originally posted by 97MaxGurl

maybe tell your mom about some horrible accident that happened to a friend of a friend b/c they weren't wearing their seat belt? it's hard to break old habits though.....i am ashamed to admit that i rarely ever buckle up when i'm in the back seat for some reason. always in the front seat though. anyone else with the same problem?
Old 06-14-2002, 03:39 PM

I used to, but then I got lazy and now have a habit of not wearing it. I drive over an hour to work too...
I know its bad...
Old 06-14-2002, 03:49 PM

Always, I even put a harness in my car for track events. Sometimes I wear them on the street and get people to stare. I wore my helmet cruising down the highway once, you wouldn't believe how many people got out of my way

Seriously, they are there for your safety, if you choose not to wear them, sooner or later Darwin will get up to you.
Old 06-14-2002, 04:10 PM

Anyone that doesn't wear a seatbelt is an idiot plain and simple.
Old 06-14-2002, 04:28 PM

i dont...i depend on airbags....i think in some cases (when hit broad side) wearing a seat belt can do more damage....i agree with out one you going to get tossed around....??? maybe im an idiot....i sit far back...and i know this helps when hitting a pole at est. of 47...i was in the pasenger seat in an old school celica pratically lounged all the way back and we walked away fine??? i think its a 50/50 chance with adults....kids should all wear seatbelts, they are small and fragile??? then again im an idiot
Old 06-14-2002, 04:35 PM
You're Faster, I'm Better

It is religous for me. My car does not move until every soul in the car is strapped down. It is such a habit that when I pull my car out of the parking stall to the wash area(one good thing about apartments) it is like ony 75 feet I still strap in. My wife and I were doing some shopping one day and going from store to store, we hopped in the car to go to another store in the same parking lot, she aske me if we could just not strap JR. this one time because it was in the same parking lot...you should have heard the cussing streak that came out of my mouth...needless to say the car does not move till he is secured properly. I think that is the bigger problem, at least here in texas. All these parents letting their kids bounce around in the back of these suv's, trucks, vans, just about all automobiles. Do these parents not realize that even a 5-10mph accident can kill their children? Do they not realize that they may avoid one, but a child can be flung out of an open window or fly foreward and go thru a windshield or into a dash? These stupid parents/people need to be dragged out of their cars and kaned right then and there. They should have their children taken away apon multiple offenses. If a child dies because of these kinds of people they deserve the death penalty...

That is something I feel very strongly about, life is too precious to waste on lazyness
Old 06-14-2002, 04:40 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

I've been in some nasty accidents and learned my less very quickly
Old 06-14-2002, 05:02 PM

I have always worn my seatbelt and everyone that comes in my car must wear one even before I had the Boost I lived by that rule. If someone refuses to wear one they get out of my car !!!
Old 06-14-2002, 05:06 PM

Not wearing a seatbelt is the dumbest thing you can do. One of our family friends was killed a few weeks ago because he was not wearing a seatbelt and was ejected, one of my friends was killed from not wearing a seatbelt. If you're ejected from the car your chances of surviving are dramatically less, the car is made to protect you, you can't fly out of it at 60 MPH and expect to walk away.
Old 06-14-2002, 05:29 PM
Former Sponsor

I ALWAYS wear my seatbelt, I too feel wrong not wearing it

however in my back seat, I only have two of the seat belts out haha the third is stuck behind the seat i forgot to pull it out while installing my seats again.. I use it as my excuse not to take passengers haha
Old 06-14-2002, 06:32 PM
Master Will

I wear mine all of the time since a few weeks ago I got an adult $15.00 no seatbelt fine the officer said he was noticing my car then realized I did not have my seatbelt on...

Quick Reply: Do you ware your seatbelts?