General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Having extra gauges in car...

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2000, 04:08 PM

well..ok....I look at different cars and I come to a conclusion that for an N/A car...I would like to have these gauges:
1. Oil temperature
2. Voltmeter
3. Fuel pressure
4. Air/Fuel ratio

Ok...how do I get these installed? What do I need to purchase and what is related in getting them running properly?
I guess this question is sort of like Gauge101 :introduction to gauges ...hehehe...but anyhow...anyone know? anyone did this themselves? Let me know...Thank you...
Old 12-05-2000, 06:03 PM
perlmax90

you need to get your hands on some gauge pods

they're very easy to install you can probably do it yourself.

Old 12-05-2000, 08:22 PM

umm.....

I guess my question is not interesting
sigh.......
hehehe...come on...lots of you guys done this, share share the knowledge
=]
Old 12-05-2000, 08:34 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Here's the question of the hour . . .

Who makes pillar mount gauge pods for a 2K Maxima?

(If you guessed Auto Meter, you'd be wrong.)
Old 12-05-2000, 08:49 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

i guess autometer.. im right.. in a way.. get the 300zx pod.. u can heat it up an it'll fit fine.. or u can try ur luck gettin onefrom stillen
Old 12-05-2000, 09:16 PM
Finally, A New Status Title...How About Donating Maxima.org Member...Oh wait...NO!!!

i want gauges too! but i don't know which ones i should put in considering my car is enginewise stock(i posted my own post after i read yours). i do know that the 300z pillar mounts are a good fit, and that they do fit even better after a heat gun fitting.

good luck.

jules
Old 12-05-2000, 11:13 PM
My other car is a Hybrid

Part number for Autometer dual A pillar Pod

It works on 4th gen but I heard it covers the tweeters on the 95-96...

Part number is 20802
Old 12-05-2000, 11:16 PM

I just recieved my Autometer Air/Fuel gauge like 2 weeks ago, and today I ordered my A-pillar gauge pod w/ oil pressure. I dont know if that would give you any ideas but I cant wait to install them. Also does anyone know how easy it is to take off the A-piilar plastic thing off? Thanks a lot guys.

Chris
Old 12-06-2000, 01:54 AM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

Cheap Air/Fuel ratio just looks good. Like the one from Autometer. It's too slow and in accurate to inform you anything. If you want a real a/f guage, get the Tomei or use EGT. Oil temp and voltmeter are also useless IMHO.

If you are going running boost or nitrous, these guages are a must.

Boost or Nitrous pressure
Fuel Pressure
EGT

If you are NA, these guages are good.
Oil pressure
water temp

Auto owners might want to get tranny temp. If your tranny temp goes over 200, the life of your ATF fluid just have been cut to half. With this, you can monitor how many times you have overheated your ATF. Better way to monitor your fluid quality. My tranny temp rarely goes over 180.

Originally posted by Zprime
well..ok....I look at different cars and I come to a conclusion that for an N/A car...I would like to have these gauges:
1. Oil temperature
2. Voltmeter
3. Fuel pressure
4. Air/Fuel ratio

Ok...how do I get these installed? What do I need to purchase and what is related in getting them running properly?
I guess this question is sort of like Gauge101 :introduction to gauges ...hehehe...but anyhow...anyone know? anyone did this themselves? Let me know...Thank you...
Old 12-06-2000, 06:26 AM

If I were adding guages on a NA engine these are what they would be:

Oil pressure: by the time the idiot light comes on, it's too late. It's also a good indicator for when it's OK for the engine to drive off after starting: wait for pressure to come up, and then drop down a bit as the oil warms.

Oil temp: This is more important than coolant temp. You can beat the heck out of an engine and never see the coolant temp go up, but if the oil temp goes high you can start doing damage, as the oil breaks down.

Volt meter: Gives a good indication of the state of the charging system. You can also tell when a belt starts to slip.

Getting cheap/inaccurate gauges are probably worse than no gauges, unless you want them for looks only.
Old 12-06-2000, 12:00 PM

How much is the tranny temp gauge? How do you install it? How much are the rest of the gauges for nitrous? Maybe if i get the tranny temp gauge. I can hold off on the VB Mod and just get nitrous now. Thinking... thinking.. Or I can get suspension.. bah!! I want to go faster in a straight line.. hehe

ZuM

Originally posted by 1MAX2NV
Cheap Air/Fuel ratio just looks good. Like the one from Autometer. It's too slow and in accurate to inform you anything. If you want a real a/f guage, get the Tomei or use EGT. Oil temp and voltmeter are also useless IMHO.

If you are going running boost or nitrous, these guages are a must.

Boost or Nitrous pressure
Fuel Pressure
EGT

If you are NA, these guages are good.
Oil pressure
water temp

Auto owners might want to get tranny temp. If your tranny temp goes over 200, the life of your ATF fluid just have been cut to half. With this, you can monitor how many times you have overheated your ATF. Better way to monitor your fluid quality. My tranny temp rarely goes over 180.

1. Oil temperature
2. Voltmeter
3. Fuel pressure
4. Air/Fuel ratio

Old 12-06-2000, 12:53 PM

It was around $70. You have to buy an adaptor and tap into the tranny cooler line. Or the more accurate way is to drill a hole in your tranny pan. I took the easier way.

The nitrous gauge is same price. The more expensive gauges are the EGT and the fuel pressure. The top of the line EGT will set you back $200. The top of the line fuel pressure will set you back $180.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ZuMBLe
[I]How much is the tranny temp gauge? How do you install it? How much are the rest of the gauges for nitrous? Maybe if i get the tranny temp gauge. I can hold off on the VB Mod and just get nitrous now. Thinking... thinking.. Or I can get suspension.. bah!! I want to go faster in a straight line.. hehe

ZuM

Old 12-06-2000, 01:03 PM

Wow, 380 dollars in two gauges.. But those are the two gauges that I really need huh? I guess I'll need those 4 gauges too.. Now I have your problem.. Where to put it!? How much is the tap for the tranny cooler line? Okay, I'm a real wiring newbie here.. How do you get all the wires from the engine bay into the car?? Drill?? *crindge*

ZuM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 1MAX2NV
[I]It was around $70. You have to buy an adaptor and tap into the tranny cooler line. Or the more accurate way is to drill a hole in your tranny pan. I took the easier way.

The nitrous gauge is same price. The more expensive gauges are the EGT and the fuel pressure. The top of the line EGT will set you back $200. The top of the line fuel pressure will set you back $180.

Originally posted by ZuMBLe
How much is the tranny temp gauge? How do you install it? How much are the rest of the gauges for nitrous? Maybe if i get the tranny temp gauge. I can hold off on the VB Mod and just get nitrous now. Thinking... thinking.. Or I can get suspension.. bah!! I want to go faster in a straight line.. hehe

ZuM

Old 12-06-2000, 01:15 PM

Yep, the important ones are the expensive ones. I mounted two guages on the a-pillar using the guage pod. I might mount the other two on the steering wheel column. They might block part of the instrument cluster =). I will have to test fit them to see. The other option would be the dash, but if I mess up =(... The adaptor to put in between the tranny cooler line is around $25. I used an existing hole by the driver side fendor. It's getting really tight there now, since I have bunch of wires going in and out. I might have to find a new place.

[I]Wow, 380 dollars in two gauges.. But those are the two gauges that I really need huh? I guess I'll need those 4 gauges too.. Now I have your problem.. Where to put it!? How much is the tap for the tranny cooler line? Okay, I'm a real wiring newbie here.. How do you get all the wires from the engine bay into the car?? Drill?? *crindge*

ZuM
Old 12-06-2000, 02:46 PM

Ahhhh....tranny temp...that is good..

but how do I not overheat my tranny? stop driving the car? or not rev it too fast?....
yeah....I want accurate gauges..the one that should last the life of my car...well..something like that...I know gauges are important...They are to read the vital stats of your car...so anyhow...what is a techtom? is that good?
Old 12-06-2000, 03:12 PM

Re: Ahhhh....tranny temp...that is good..

If you overheated the tranny, it's not the end of the world. You just need to flush with new fluid and you are good to go. Of course, if your tranny temp is really high. It's a good idea to stop racing. Your tranny temp is not going to overheat under normal conditions.

but how do I not overheat my tranny? stop driving the car? or not rev it too fast?....
yeah....I want accurate gauges..the one that should last the life of my car...well..something like that...I know gauges are important...They are to read the vital stats of your car...so anyhow...what is a techtom? is that good?
Old 12-06-2000, 04:19 PM

I'll have to look for that hole that you're talking about. Where did you get your gauges and trannyline adaptor? The less headache I have the better.. =)

ZuM

Originally posted by 1MAX2NV
[I]Yep, the important ones are the expensive ones. I mounted two guages on the a-pillar using the guage pod. I might mount the other two on the steering wheel column. They might block part of the instrument cluster =). I will have to test fit them to see. The other option would be the dash, but if I mess up =(... The adaptor to put in between the tranny cooler line is around $25. I used an existing hole by the driver side fendor. It's getting really tight there now, since I have bunch of wires going in and out. I might have to find a new place.

Wow, 380 dollars in two gauges.. But those are the two gauges that I really need huh? I guess I'll need those 4 gauges too.. Now I have your problem.. Where to put it!? How much is the tap for the tranny cooler line? Okay, I'm a real wiring newbie here.. How do you get all the wires from the engine bay into the car?? Drill?? *crindge*

ZuM

Old 12-06-2000, 05:11 PM

Where is the best place to get gauges?
Old 12-06-2000, 05:49 PM

http://www.summitracing.com
There might be other cheaper places, but summit has a no question ask return policy.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ZuMBLe
[I]I'll have to look for that hole that you're talking about. Where did you get your gauges and trannyline adaptor? The less headache I have the better.. =)

ZuM
Old 12-06-2000, 08:04 PM

Jegs

I have dealt with Jegs before and they offer cheapper shipping than summit racing.