General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

squealing tires -------->

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2000, 06:14 PM
perlmax90

ok i noticed latly that when i take long thight turns, like the ones on some exit ramps for the highway. my tires start squealing. but the funny thing is i have control of the car the whole time there squealing, it's not like there squealing and i drift slowly towards the gaurd rail. actually i can pull furture away from it.

my tires are new so what do you think could be the problem?

could it be that i need a new power steering rack?
or could it have something to do with my shocks. i think the shocks on the front right side is no good. it's alot more bouncer than the rest of the shocks. i don't know
**** about cars so can some one help?

Old 12-05-2000, 06:16 PM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

check the air in the tires....or you're taking the turns a lil too fast...
Old 12-05-2000, 06:23 PM
perlmax90

maybe it's the air.

but i can still go faster. i tryed it one time, when it started to squeal i press down on the gas and it squealed louder but i was still in control.

Old 12-05-2000, 06:39 PM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

you could still be going too fast though...just because you're in control doesn't mean that you can just take turns fast....
Old 12-05-2000, 06:45 PM
perlmax90

really i didn't know that.

i thought when the tires starts squealing your out of control. thanks for clearing things up.

but what about my shocks is it possible for one shock out of four to be bad. i thought they all when bad at the same time. can you correct me if i'm wrong. i don't remember hitting any unusual holes or anything. and were i live the roads are almost perfect. you can put your car like 2" off the ground and not bottom out. well not literally thats pretty low but you know what i mean.

Old 12-05-2000, 07:00 PM

hmm

a squeeling tire isnt a happy tire, like chris said its pushin the tires grip to the last level, after that - bye bye grip hello slip

- you prolly need more air , it got colder out and the air prolly compressed - so you just need a couple more lbs - that should do it
Old 12-05-2000, 08:24 PM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

Re: really i didn't know that.

Originally posted by perlmax90
i thought when the tires starts squealing your out of control. thanks for clearing things up.

but what about my shocks is it possible for one shock out of four to be bad. i thought they all when bad at the same time. can you correct me if i'm wrong. i don't remember hitting any unusual holes or anything. and were i live the roads are almost perfect. you can put your car like 2" off the ground and not bottom out. well not literally thats pretty low but you know what i mean.
squealing tires is no sign for bad shocks....1 can go bad without the other 3...the easiest test for shocks is the bounce test...push down on each bumper...the car should come back up to the original position without bouncing around...

BTW....why the hell would you have your car 2" in the air...
Old 12-06-2000, 06:44 AM

Different tires "sing" at different cornering loads (a lot depends and tread design and compound). It may, or may not, mean you're close to the limit. It's good feedback for learning to be smooth: you should be able to maintain constant pitch all the way around the ramp. When you get close to the real limit, you'll feel a "rumble" in the steering wheel as the front end begins to slide.
If the tire pressures are off, or the front end is out of alignment the tires will squeal more. Tires also tend to squeak more as they wear.
Old 12-06-2000, 06:55 AM

Some tires squeal

Even some "ultra performance" tires squeal a bit as they approach their limits and almost all "high performance" tires (anything that comes on a car, stock) squeal like a stuck pig though you maybe quite a ways from the limits of traction. From my experience it seems to be relative to the tread compound (softer the tire, less squeal) and more importantly, the amount of "siping" the tire has. All season tires or snow tires are horribly noisy around corners where as ultra and max performance "summer" tires which have larger un-interrupted tread blocks make less noise.. more of a whooshing noise than a squeal.
Some folks like the racket so they know when the car is getting to it's limits. I can't stand it.. drives me nuts and attracts the cop's attention WAY too much.
Old 12-06-2000, 07:18 AM
perlmax90

thanks guys for your relpys.

you really helped. now i have to add a new shock to the list off things i need for my car to function properly.

and i guess i'll slow down alittle. it's just fun hitting those turns at high speeds sometimes.

Old 12-06-2000, 07:37 AM
Keven97SE

Re: thanks guys for your relpys.

No you don't. At least for the squealing issue. Shocks have nothing to do with tire squeal. Tire squeal is solely a result of the tires themselves (compound used). If you want to eliminate the squealing, get different tires.

FYI just because they're noisy doesn't necessarily mean they're poor performers or that the car's at it's limits. Some tires will squeal at a certain point, even if that point is significantly less than it's maximum limit. I'm not saying that you're NOT pushing the car to it's limit, just that you may not necessarily be.

Check the tire pressures, though. Use the factory recommended settings if you have no particular favorite.

FYI new tires are often noisier than when broken in. Just give the tires a couple 1000 miles to break in and see if the noise goes away.

Originally posted by perlmax90
you really helped. now i have to add a new shock to the list off things i need for my car to function properly.

and i guess i'll slow down alittle. it's just fun hitting those turns at high speeds sometimes.
[Edited by Keven97SE on 12-06-2000 at 09:39 AM]

Old 12-06-2000, 03:05 PM

funny thing is i cant get mine to make a noise

the civic on the other hand the tires suck *** and screem when its cold out even going 10 mph in a black top
Old 12-06-2000, 03:15 PM

alignment

Have your alignment checked as well.