General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Need quick help in buying

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2002, 11:04 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Need quick help in buying

Alright, I need you alls help one more time. It's come finally to two cars. I need help on which one to get. I am wondering which is better for my money, and plus one is a lot farther away.

First car, is a 1999 Maxima GLE. Silver with all options except spoiler and fog lights. It has black leather interior. Has about 44k miles on it. The bracket where the hood latches is rusted and the two round deals, but they are only a few dollars. Odd that they are rusted though. It also has side impact airbags and traction controll, but hear teh traction control is not the best in the world. Just a few scratches and dents. Its in Memphis, TN which is only 4 hours away. They want $15,500 for it.

The second car is a 2000 Maxima SE. Pearl White. It has the bose sound system, 16' 5spoke alloy wheels. Basically what comes with the SE. Leather interior and power seats. Dont know if it has side impact airbags. Just a few scratches and dents. They want $16,400 for it. The problem is this place is 8-12 hours away. It has 55k miles on it though. So the retail is lower. No rust, and it looks in good shape.

I just need to know which one of these I should go for. The GLE retail seems to be higher and all, so I am really torn. Plus I dont have too much time left to chose. I need a car before I leave for school Thanks, guys, you all have been a great help!!!!

Dave Honey
Old 06-21-2002, 11:14 AM

...FWIW, the rust would have me headed in the opposite direction.

- and for only $900 more money you get a car w/a little more mileage (probably mostly hiway), no rust, fogs and all the other SE goodies.

IMHO, it's worth the drive for the 2K.
Old 06-21-2002, 11:17 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Re: Need quick help in buying

Originally posted by Fezzik
Alright, I need you alls help one more time. It's come finally to two cars. I need help on which one to get. I am wondering which is better for my money, and plus one is a lot farther away.

First car, is a 1999 Maxima GLE. Silver with all options except spoiler and fog lights. It has black leather interior. Has about 44k miles on it. The bracket where the hood latches is rusted and the two round deals, but they are only a few dollars. Odd that they are rusted though. It also has side impact airbags and traction controll, but hear teh traction control is not the best in the world. Just a few scratches and dents. Its in Memphis, TN which is only 4 hours away. They want $15,500 for it.

The second car is a 2000 Maxima SE. Pearl White. It has the bose sound system, 16' 5spoke alloy wheels. Basically what comes with the SE. Leather interior and power seats. Dont know if it has side impact airbags. Just a few scratches and dents. They want $16,400 for it. The problem is this place is 8-12 hours away. It has 55k miles on it though. So the retail is lower. No rust, and it looks in good shape.

I just need to know which one of these I should go for. The GLE retail seems to be higher and all, so I am really torn. Plus I dont have too much time left to chose. I need a car before I leave for school Thanks, guys, you all have been a great help!!!!

Dave Honey
Make sure that the 99 has side impact...for some reason I thought that only came out on the 2k+ but could be wrong. If you can see the side of the seats, should have a little fabric tag denoting the SIS.

8-12 hours is a long way to travel for a car. Especially if you have some kind of "local" warranty that comes with it.

As for telling you what to get...the 5th genners will say the 5th...the 4th will say the 4th....hard choice. Good luck
Old 06-21-2002, 11:59 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Why does the 99 have rust? I owned a 97 GLE which was great but traded for a loaded 00 SE. The cars feel different, I prefer the sportier SE. The SE has different gauges, which is a minor point. If I was older I might have stayed with the GLE line. The point someone made about the local warranty being far away is valid and should be considered. The 00 SE factory warranty is finished (3 yrs or 36,000.
Have you driven both cars? There will be an emotional component to your final decision. You got to go with your gut. You might want to go with the 99 gle and keep the $900 for another day.
Old 06-21-2002, 12:08 PM

Re: Need quick help in buying

Odd rust could mean flood damage??
Old 06-21-2002, 10:13 PM

If it matters to you, 99 GLE will open the windows with the remote; 00 SE will not open with the factory remote.
Old 06-23-2002, 12:08 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Thanks, for all the input. Well I went to Fort Worth, TX and bought the 2000 SE. Thanks for all the input. It helped out a lot. I guess I will be joining the 5th gen forum now

Dave Honey
Old 06-24-2002, 11:12 AM

Congrats!
I still love drivng my car after 2 years.