General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Stillen B pipe bangs gas tank

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2002, 12:23 PM

Stillen B pipe bangs gas tank

I've noticed when I shift hard that somethin was banging in the rear of my car. Today I jacked up the car and I think I found what it is. It looks like my Stillen B pipe is contacting my gas tank. Its at one of the corners of the "S" bends on the pipe, contacting the front right corner of the gas tank. It looks like our gas tank is a plastic composite cause that part is (gasp!) a little melted! I' have one theory and one or a few of my exhaust components are a little "longer" then stock. I think its my Y pipe thats a teeny bit longer then stock. Either that or that flex section has a tendency to expand when its gets hot, causing the entire exhaust to push back. As a temporary measure I may wrap that section in header wrap to cushion it.

So I came here to see if anybody has any ideas or the same problem before my gas tank explodes.

I'll post a pic if I feel like it of the meltage.
Old 06-27-2002, 12:30 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Man, you and that car. There is always something new, lol.
Old 06-27-2002, 01:36 PM
I couldn't fix your brakes, so I made your horn louder

Re: Stillen B pipe bangs gas tank

I had same problem with my greddy since the previous owner had a custom made b pipe. I took it to a local muffler shop with good pricing and he took off about a 2-3 inch section and rewelded it there, I havent had a problem since.
Old 06-27-2002, 08:05 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

I'm having the same problem with my Warpspeed B, but it looks like it needs to be about 1/2in longer from the resonator...
Old 06-27-2002, 08:47 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

I had the same problem. It's all related to the fact that we've got a aftermarket exhaust from the manifolds up till the muffler. Aftermarket Y-pipes and B-pipes always seem to be too long. I've had both the Stillen Y-pipe and Warpspeed y-pipe and the Stillen B-pipe and Courtesy B-pipe. I had always had issues with the pipe hitting the tank. My B-pipe was always hitting the passenger side front corner of the gas tank. The tank is rubber coating metal. The way I fixed the problem was playing around with the hangers and stiffening them up (ie doubling them up). I also got my Stillen B-pipe welded because I kept having problems with the two sections leaking, pivoting, and even seperating sometimes.

Dave
Old 06-27-2002, 10:45 PM

I made a suspended mold from High-Temp Silicone to space out the distance from the tank and the B-pipe to insure that it wouldn't bump anymore. Worked like a charm.