General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Got a weird MIL trouble code this weekend. Help! ->

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2000, 12:13 PM
Keven97SE

This weekend my MIL light came on, the first time ever under normal driving (wasn't working on it or anything).

The code was 0505, which according to the Service Manual means, "No problem detected". There's a note underneath the code chart that says a low (or high?) battery voltage will set off this code.

I checked my battery voltage about 4 months ago. With the engine running and the voltage stable, I got something like a constant 15.4 V, which is HIGH (not low). Actually, I think it's at or above the voltage range the service manual states is normal. I'm going to check the battery V again tonight.

Soooo...

Does this mean my battery or alternator is bad? Any one have any experience with this? Is this why my car has such poor power some days and really good power others (more often poor than good, unfortunately)?

Old 09-05-2000, 12:50 PM
The missing moderator

Could it be a bad voltage regulator? Like you said, this could be a cause to the performance issue you have?
Old 09-05-2000, 01:07 PM
Matt_P

Did you turn the screw driver twice?

Originally posted by Keven97SE
This weekend my MIL light came on, the first time ever under normal driving (wasn't working on it or anything).

The code was 0505, which according to the Service Manual means, "No problem detected". There's a note underneath the code chart that says a low (or high?) battery voltage will set off this code.

I checked my battery voltage about 4 months ago. With the engine running and the voltage stable, I got something like a constant 15.4 V, which is HIGH (not low). Actually, I think it's at or above the voltage range the service manual states is normal. I'm going to check the battery V again tonight.

Soooo...

Does this mean my battery or alternator is bad? Any one have any experience with this? Is this why my car has such poor power some days and really good power others (more often poor than good, unfortunately)?
I think you reset the actual code by accident when turning the screwdriver. After you reset the code its supposed to report 0505.

I am just trying to find out more info about code "0215". (???)