General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Isn't gun metal a form of grey color, and clear coat ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2002, 06:01 PM
Say Candyman 5 times

Isn't gun metal a form of grey color, and clear coat ?

Isn't gun metal a form of grey color, if so how can you tell the diff between gun metal and the many different shades of grey

Also, are there two different clear coat recommended for painted surface and bare metal surface or any clear coat can be used for painted and bare metal surface?
Old 07-03-2002, 06:29 PM
ivelweyz

Re: Isn't gun metal a form of grey color, and clear coat ?

Originally posted by CandiMan
Isn't gun metal a form of grey color, if so how can you tell the diff between gun metal and the many different shades of grey

Also, are there two different clear coat recommended for painted surface and bare metal surface or any clear coat can be used for painted and bare metal surface?
Gun metal is a really darkish kind, the only wheels I would put on my car are either black or gunmetal...

Old 07-04-2002, 08:42 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

I guess I'd describe Gun Metal Finishes as sort of Tinted Titanium.
Old 07-04-2002, 03:07 PM

AKA Antracite
Old 07-05-2002, 06:57 AM
Chick specializing in rounding up 100+ Maximas

i dunno..

Yes, 'gunmetal' rims are all generally similar in shade (greyish tone) w/ clear coat but may vary by brand.
Old 07-05-2002, 09:53 AM
Say Candyman 5 times

Re: i dunno..

Originally posted by 97MaxGurl Yes, 'gunmetal' rims are all generally similar in shade (greyish tone) w/ clear coat but may vary by brand.
That's exactly why I'm asking. I'm in the process of polishing the lips of my AV3's by myself and will be powder coating the rim gun metal. The guy who's doing the coating says he can do gm but I don't want to be surprise that it's grey instead of gm. Of course I can ask for a sample of his gm, but if I'm not too savy about what gm should look like I just have to take his word. Oh well, life goes on.

PS: What color is this
http://www.wheelmax.com/Wheels/RSLimited/conceptgm.gif
Old 07-05-2002, 12:37 PM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

Re: Re: i dunno..

That's gunmetal. As long as it's darker shade of gray, you will be fine. For wheels, I would suggest you pick a glossy finish. Stay away from flat finish. Flat black is cool if you are going for that JDM look.

That's exactly why I'm asking. I'm in the process of polishing the lips of my AV3's by myself and will be powder coating the rim gun metal. The guy who's doing the coating says he can do gm but I don't want to be surprise that it's grey instead of gm. Of course I can ask for a sample of his gm, but if I'm not too savy about what gm should look like I just have to take his word. Oh well, life goes on.

PS: What color is this
http://www.wheelmax.com/Wheels/RSLimited/conceptgm.gif
Old 07-07-2002, 01:59 PM
Say Candyman 5 times

Re: Re: Re: i dunno..

Originally posted by 1MAX2NV That's gunmetal. As long as it's darker shade of gray, you will be fine. For wheels, I would suggest you pick a glossy finish.
Ok, some more questions on why I should pick a glossy finish. One of these local powder coating guys did ask what finish do I want, flat, semi or high gloss. I totally understand why not to choose the flat finish due to that JDM look. How about semi or high gloss? Does it basically comes down to preference? Will the higher gloss appear more to be like powder coat gun metal?
Old 07-07-2002, 03:52 PM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

Re: Re: Re: Re: i dunno..

You want the color to be as shiny as possible. Most wheels are painted with a clear coat on them for that glossy shine. With powdercoating, you don't have a clear coat. Go with high gloss, the wheels will stand out more.

Ok, some more questions on why I should pick a glossy finish. One of these local powder coating guys did ask what finish do I want, flat, semi or high gloss. I totally understand why not to choose the flat finish due to that JDM look. How about semi or high gloss? Does it basically comes down to preference? Will the higher gloss appear more to be like powder coat gun metal?
Old 07-07-2002, 04:04 PM
Say Candyman 5 times

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: i dunno..

Originally posted by 1MAX2NV You want the color to be as shiny as possible. Most wheels are painted with a clear coat on them for that glossy shine. With powdercoating, you don't have a clear coat. Go with high gloss, the wheels will stand out more.
Well said and thank you all, MIKE