General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

My $99 Hybrid intake from dohccivicna1250 is on, review and impressions. (very long)

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2002, 01:20 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

My $99 Hybrid intake from dohccivicna1250 is on, review and impressions. (very long)

I bought the $99 hybrid intake from dohccivicna1250 in the group deals forum. A few .org members have had problems with him but I ordered my intake on Monday and received it on Friday, Thursday was the fourth of July. It came with everything in the pic below.

EDIT - The kit has changed slightly, the velocity stack looks to be a better design than the one I have. The pic in the link is the current kit (as far as I know.) There pic below the link is the one in my car.
http://jdmmotorworks.com/intakes/int...MA/MAXIMA1.JPG

The long story on how I ended up buying this intake (feel free to skip)
Like many others after reading the many opinions on what type of intake was best I was still confused. I was leaning towards a hybrid style but the Frankencar is priced at $125 and still not available for the fourth gen. To buy a PR upper tube and K&N filter would cost even more and I still wouldn’t get a velocity stack. With the filtration of the Monsterflow still unproven I decided I wanted to go with the K&N filter, I plan on keeping this car a while. The Place Racing CAI is about $200 and then I would have to spend another $40 or so on a K&N filter

The Warpspeed CAI is priced at $155 and comes with a K&N filter. I would also have the option of trying it as both a CAI and a hybrid to see what I liked the best for only a little more than the cost of a hybrid intake. So I ordered a Warpspeed CAI ….. Two and a half months later I call and they still can not give me a time when they are expected to be ready. I notice a $99 hybrid intake on the group deals forum and it has a velocity stack style MAF adapter.

Intake review
This is the only intake I have seen so I have nothing to compare it to, but it seems to be of decent quality. The welds on the breather hose attachments look nice and neat but the were a few rough edges on the inside of the intake tube. A minute with some sandcloth and the inside was nice and smooth. The silicone connectors look pretty good and the Velocity stack/MAF adapter also looked decent and fit with no problems. I did have a few minor problems when I tried to install it though….

The Install
The kit did not come with any instructions but they were not really needed. Both the couplers were the 2.5X3” reducing kind, the seller said that was on purpose so the would fit tight . So when I connected the MAF to the upper intake tube I had to stretch the small side of the coupler quite a bit, I think a 3”X3” coupler would have worked much better and I may get one. The clamps were a little on the small side, they just barely made it around the couplers on the intake tube and wouldn’t reach around the coupler on the MAF, I had a big clamp in my shop so I was all set. I couldn’t figure out how the bolts he included for the MAF adapter would work so I tried reusing the factory bolts. They worked but stuck out into the area where the filter would clamp on by about ½ inch. I could have just clamped the filter on ½ inch farther out but I did not like the way that looked, I didn’t want to cut the factory bolts in case I decided to go back to stock some day so a quick trip to Lowes and $.67 later I had shorter bolts. I also had to pick up new breather hoses since there was no way the stock ones were going to reach.

I left the stock airbox and piping to support the filter and help bring it cold air. I could not see where any of the supports that came with the kit were supposed to go but with the stock airbox supporting the filter I didn’t need them. Maybe the stock airbox covers the places where the supports go or I just didn’t look hard enough.
Old 07-08-2002, 01:23 PM

Driving Impressions
Under 3000 RPM and driving normally it sounds just like the stock intake. If you get on the gas heavy between 2000 and 3000 RPM it sounds a little deeper then stock but nothing you would really notice. It’s even pretty quite between 3000 and 4000 RPM if you are using less than ½ throttle. On they highway at an 80 MPH cruise it is about the same noise level as stock or maybe slightly louder. Basically during all normal driving it is pretty quiet and would not stand out at all - Who me? I am just a 4 door grocery getter nothing to see here.

But give it ¾ or even better full throttle above 3000 RPM and the engine roars. The sound is awesome, I find my self looking for places to floor it just so I can hear that sweet roar. My gas mileage is defiantly going to suffer with this Mod. This intake is worth it for the sound alone.

Butt dyno indicated a power increase across the RPM range particularly in the upper RPM range. I felt no ‘lag’ or low end power loss at all.
Note – Butt dyno also indicates a power increase when I wash and wax my car, so it could be in need of recalibration

conclusion
For $99 I think this intake is a great deal, even though I needed a few small parts at this price I can live with that. None of the parts I needed were expensive anyway. If you would like to get one check out this thread -- http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=124231

I should be at the central Mass meet next week so if anyone wants to see this intake feel free to ask me.
Old 07-08-2002, 02:04 PM

Re: My $99 Hybrid intake from dohccivicna1250 is on, review and impressions. (very long)

Frankencar is priced at $125 and still not available for the fourth gen.
It is available for the 4th gens.
Old 07-08-2002, 04:35 PM

Re: Re: My $99 Hybrid intake from dohccivicna1250 is on, review and impressions. (very long)

Originally posted by deezo
It is available for the 4th gens.
I new they were finished for the 4th gen but I thought they were delayed. I rember seeing this post by steve --

Originally posted by dmbmaxima2k2
delivery will be slightly delayed as the response to these has been HUGE and i'm making them as fast as possible but i can't keep up, but i'm trying. about a 1 week delay from today and they should be done and shipping

-steve
Here -
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....5&pagenumber=5

I thought the delay was longer, and I am used to delays of 'a couple weeks' that streach into months, there is nothing wrong with Steves intake from what I have heard. This one was just a little cheaper and the big point for me was the velocity stack style MAF adapter. The more companies making products for the Maxima the better.
Old 07-08-2002, 08:43 PM
mb1

Did the intake come with 4 hose outlets? If so, where did you hook up the 4th hose?
Old 07-08-2002, 10:42 PM

Originally posted by mb1
Did the intake come with 4 hose outlets? If so, where did you hook up the 4th hose?
Yes, two large ones for the breather hoses, one very small one for some sort of vacuum hose, and one medium size one that the stock intake did not have. I just capped it off with a vacuum cap.
Old 07-09-2002, 10:44 AM
mb1

Originally posted by Anachronism

Yes, two large ones for the breather hoses, one very small one for some sort of vacuum hose, and one medium size one that the stock intake did not have. I just capped it off with a vacuum cap.
What is a vacuum cap? Isn't the extra hose it comes meant for this hole? Where are you supposed to attach it to?
Old 07-09-2002, 10:49 AM

i had his regular intake w/o pipe - it worked great - almost no low end loss
Old 07-09-2002, 01:37 PM

Originally posted by mb1

What is a vacuum cap? Isn't the extra hose it comes meant for this hole? Where are you supposed to attach it to?
Just a little rubber cap that covers the extra outlet. The hose does fit the extra outlet but I don't see anything to attach it to.

Here is a pic of the upper intake hose with a pop charger (I think) installed in maxwilldens 96 Maxima. Mine looks pretty much the same except I used the MAF adapter and K&N filter that came with the kit and I also left the lower airbox and pipeing in place.

http://images.cardomain.com/installs...02_15_full.jpg
Old 07-09-2002, 01:59 PM
mb1

Where can I get one of those caps?

sorry about so many questions, but I had this thing sitting in my garage for 2 month, and I want to get it on.
Old 07-09-2002, 02:39 PM

Originally posted by mb1
Where can I get one of those caps?

sorry about so many questions, but I had this thing sitting in my garage for 2 month, and I want to get it on.
Probably any auto parts store, tell them you need a vacuum cap and they should be able to show you were they are. I got the 3/8" size and it seems to fit fine. Buy some new breather hoses while you are at the auto parts store, the rear one is 3/4" inside diameter and the front one is 5/8" ID, get two feet of each to make sure you have enough, it is under a dollar a foot. I bought new hose clamps for the breather hoses because I don't like the spring style that was on there. The bolts I bought were 'M6-1.0X16mm' at Lowes, I used 4 flat washers and lock washers I already had. If you have all the parts on hand and leave the lower airbox in place install is probably about an hour.
Old 07-09-2002, 06:25 PM
mb1

Originally posted by Anachronism

Probably any auto parts store, tell them you need a vacuum cap and they should be able to show you were they are. I got the 3/8" size and it seems to fit fine. Buy some new breather hoses while you are at the auto parts store, the rear one is 3/4" inside diameter and the front one is 5/8" ID, get two feet of each to make sure you have enough, it is under a dollar a foot. I bought new hose clamps for the breather hoses because I don't like the spring style that was on there. The bolts I bought were 'M6-1.0X16mm' at Lowes, I used 4 flat washers and lock washers I already had. If you have all the parts on hand and leave the lower airbox in place install is probably about an hour.
Wow, thanks for all the details. Especialy about the hoses. I put the mid pipe on today cuz I finaly got my reducer that was missing from the kit. Then I realized the hoses were way too short. After alot of sweating I gave up and put my stock mid-piece back on. This is like the third time I went through that ordeal.