General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Quaife differential owners......

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2002, 01:25 PM

Quaife differential owners......

1st, does anybody know how much the thing weighs (either with or without the bearings, final drive gear and the bolts). Secondly- is anybody trapping lower then "usual" after installing the Quaife? I want to figure out how much correlation there is between the extra weight and the reduction of trap speeds.
Old 07-09-2002, 02:59 PM

i was under the impression that the quaife would help the acceleration?
Old 07-09-2002, 03:07 PM

It's weight would hamper the car's acceleration at top speeds, not by much the unit probably weighs 40 lbs my guess. Hardly anything to be concerned about.

However, down low, especially on boosted cars, I'm sure gets a lot more traction down to the ground. I highly doubt you could floor it in first, but I'm sure you could get through first a lot faster with a lot more traction, and then be able to lay it down in second. It's a costly mod though, and the way I see it is:

I try not to do first gear racing in my car because:
1) I will lose easily.
2) very hard on tires
3) hard on clutch, motor mounts, engine, etc.
4) my car zaps to redline dangerously faster (missing a shift could be very dangerous)

Thus, I only really would want that first gear when I'm at the drag strip. Spending $1,400 to make my car faster at the strip is controversial.

I'd rather have breath-taking acceleration in 2nd and third gear.

Also, yes it would allow you to put it down in second gear through the corners harder, but I've seen SOOO many idiots crash their cars on canyon runs, and for many of the same reasons (wear & tear related) it's simply not worth it to drive like an a$$hole on the streets. However, it would be nice for that 1-2 track events most maxima owners goto each year, but I'd rather spend my $1,400 somewhere else.

Just my .02! If you're a diehard 1/4 mile racer (NOPI sanctions a boosted Maxima against twin-turbo supra's so you're never going to win any money, and NIRA's Super 6 Class is so small it's often forgotten) then it would be worth it possibly, and definately if you're a diehard road-racer (a race a boosted Maxima has a shot in taking class in).

For N/A cars I would apply that $1,400 to some FI system, as it'll be more rewarding.