Group Deals / Sponsors Forum Find out more information on group deals that are going on for Maxima parts from our Sponsors.

Cattman FastCats on Sale

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 05:15 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Cattman FastCats on Sale

Cattman FastCats (true performance catalytic converters) are on sale, marked down to $199 from $240. Just call to order - 800.759.9920, 10-5 Pacific Daylight Time, M-F - these are in stock, ready to go.

Shipping in the US is $7.95-$9.75, depending on distance from Arizona. Freight to Canada is $24/4-10 days, $29/3-5 days via USPS. Contact us for shipping quotes to other countries or off-planet, we ship anywhere.

We just fabricated a large batch of our FastCats, so we'll bring the inventory down with a little SALE. 25 units are available at this price, it ends when they're gone.

FastCat Information

Cattman exhaust parts are known for their unique combination of quality and performance, but our FastCat may actually stand farther above the competition than anything we sell.

The FastCat features a 200-cell all-metal substrate that actually makes low-rpm torque and high-rpm horsepower. Most of the well-known "performance" cats have ceramic substrates and none of the them perform any better (and in some cases worse!) than the stock cat. I don't care what they say or claim; we know, we've dynoed them, and that's why we had to find something we could put our name behind.

Not all of the cats with metal substrates are created equally, however. Some perform better than others, but most of them are intended for "offroad, racing purposes only" because they don't clean the exhuast well enough to receive EPA approval for street use.

We finally found a European-made all-metal core unit with two unique properties: 1) it performs where the others do not, and 2) it is the only metal-substrate cat of its type that has EPA approval for use on public roadways. [EPA-approved cats should come with an EPA registration card.] Great performance + no worries at emissions check time = exactly what we were looking for.

On the quality side, setting a Maxima-specific FastCat alongside one of the "universal" cats sold by other brands is almost laughable. Other than the over-thick CNC-machined flanges, our entire unit is stainless steel, with a compact, near bullet-proof, polished case. The flanges are TIG-welded in exactly the same position as the stock unit. The INCLUDED installation kit has all the necessary hardware and a $25 pair of Nissan gaskets.

The other brands are constructed from thin-gauge mild steel, typically using thin 1/4" flanges that are left floppy and loose - not welded! - so they can fit a variety of vehicles. The thin flanges warp when the bolts are tightened because the flared end of the tube (that keeps them from falling off) creates a spacer between the cat and the y-pipe/exhaust flanges. I won't mince words - this is shoddy, bad practice at its worst!

Yes, you can buy most bolt-in cats for something under $200, though once you add in the extra-cost install kit you'll be up around that number (unless its a REALLY cheap stock-replacement cat). The FastCat is a far better value at the regular price of $240, but at $199 its a steal. The core unit in our cat is the same one the BMW and Audi guys are spending $300-400 for.

I'll follow the thread, and will reply to any questions.

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance
Old 05-02-2006, 05:39 PM

Price include shipping??
Old 05-02-2006, 05:39 PM

What does this do to the sound of the exhaust? any louder? (already have a cat back)
Does the price include shipping?
Old 05-02-2006, 08:11 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

inlet/outlet size? and this will still fit on stock exhaust?
Old 05-02-2006, 08:15 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Originally Posted by MidniteMaxSE
Price include shipping??
Its not included, but shipping in the US will range from just $7.75 to $9.75, depending on distance from Arizona. Not too bad - its a small box, and not too heavy.

Oh, and this is DHL - although they say a week from AZ to the East Coast, we're finding it usually takes 3-4 days.

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance
Old 05-02-2006, 08:26 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Originally Posted by PeteusMaximus
What does this do to the sound of the exhaust? any louder? (already have a cat back)
Does the price include shipping?
Maybe you could hear the difference, but I don't think it has much effect on the sound at all. Refer to my reply above about shipping - I'll add it to the original msg.

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance
Old 05-02-2006, 08:34 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Originally Posted by kenji
inlet/outlet size? and this will still fit on stock exhaust?

The inlet/outlet diameter is 2.5", but these will work fine with a stock exhaust. As I recall, the stock cat actually has a bigger opening than the stock y-pipe or catback tubing sizes.

There are 3" FastCats too, but those are not a part of this sale.

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance
Old 05-03-2006, 11:03 AM
On the pedobear bandwagon

Where can i see pics of the cattmobile?
Old 05-03-2006, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Cattman
Most of the well-known "performance" cats have ceramic substrates and none of the them perform any better (and in some cases worse!) than the stock cat. I don't care what they say or claim; we know, we've dynoed them, and that's why we had to find something we could put our name behind.
which ones have you dynoed and performed worse?
i was going to get the warpseed high flow cat ($99)
or even their metallic substrate model ($175)
Old 05-03-2006, 12:08 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Originally Posted by jdmaxima89
Where can i see pics of the cattmobile?
Shoot me a PM with your email address and I'll send a few attachments. I just started thinking about selling Cattmobile II recently and I haven't prepared anything formal to promote it.

Best thing about this Cattmobile is that its never been driven hard. Yeah, right!, most are thinking, but its true. I bought it after I recovered from a bad accident, and I've driven like my grandfather (before he started running over things) ever since.

Now I'm looking for a lightly used '05 Maxima 6M.

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance
Old 05-03-2006, 12:37 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Originally Posted by retrospex
which ones have you dynoed and performed worse?
i was going to get the warpseed high flow cat ($99)
or even their metallic substrate model ($175)

I'm not going to rag on specific brands, and its not necessary. Look at it this way - simply due to the fundamental design limitations, no ceramic core cat will perform significantly better than a Nissan stock cat in reasonably good condition. If you simply need an affordable replacement for a plugged or non-functioning stock cat, and additional performance and an extended lifespan aren't important, then don't spend any more than you need to on a ceramic-core, bolt-in cat. [Just don't go to an exhaust shop and let them butcher your exhaust to weld in a generic cat - I've heard some real horror stories - but that's got nothing to do with what you're asking about.]

As far as other all-metal cats go, the key question is whether or not the part is EPA-certified for use on public roadways (EPA-certified cats should always include a mail-in registration card). If its not, you don't know what to expect when you go in for an emissions check. [Why use a cat if its not "legal"?]

Its easy to find all-metal cats that are for "racing or off-road purposes only", but apparently it was a major engineering accomplishment to get enough catalytic materials on the limited amount of surface area of a 200-cell cat, and the company advertises them as the only one of their kind with the EPA designation.

The other consideration would be the durability and lifespan of the cat, which is dependent on materials and fabrication methods. A lot of our FastCat customers are replacing rusted-out stock or aftermarket cats because they want something that will out-last their car. The body/tubing of the FastCat is stainless steel, and the the thickness of the steel cylinder containing the substrate is incredible (the section the heat shield is attached to in the picture).

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance
Old 05-03-2006, 02:35 PM

For anyone with doubts, Basically Brian only sells the highest quality parts. They are generally going to be superior in just about every way to other products. This is just how Brian does business. He makes parts to perform first, and to sell second.

This is the impression I've been left with by Mr. Catts through the past few years.
Old 05-03-2006, 03:08 PM

would this increase my cars sound. i have a ebay cai, budget y-pipe and flow master exhaust, its REAL deep right now.
Old 05-04-2006, 07:18 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Originally Posted by Blackwind
would this increase my cars sound. i have a ebay cai, budget y-pipe and flow master exhaust, its REAL deep right now.
You might hear a slight change of some kind, but it really doesn't make much difference. Its not like removing a component designed to make the car quieter (like a muffler or resonator) and replacing it with a part that isn't as quiet. Since the cat's not there to make the car quieter, switching from one kind to another has little, if any, effect on the volume.

I've heard that some brands make the exhaust sound more "tinny", but I think that's the result of multiple layers of thin metal - the case, the heat shielding, the insulation - in those cheaper designs. FastCat's just aren't made that way - they're one layer of thick-gauge stainless, with one thick heat shield solidly welded to it - and they definitely don't have a "tinny" sound.

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance
Old 05-04-2006, 09:31 AM

Brian, you never really told us what performance increases we should expect from it.
Old 05-04-2006, 11:59 AM

You might hear a slight change of some kind, but it really doesn't make much difference. Its not like removing a component designed to make the car quieter (like a muffler or resonator) and replacing it with a part that isn't as quiet. Since the cat's not there to make the car quieter, switching from one kind to another has little, if any, effect on the volume.

I've heard that some brands make the exhaust sound more "tinny", but I think that's the result of multiple layers of thin metal - the case, the heat shielding, the insulation - in those cheaper designs. FastCat's just aren't made that way - they're one layer of thick-gauge stainless, with one thick heat shield solidly welded to it - and they definitely don't have a "tinny" sound.

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance
thanks gotta wait for the paycheck.
Old 05-04-2006, 06:20 PM

What about emissions? Will I pass, I live in Chicago.
Old 05-04-2006, 11:32 PM
SHIFT_up

Maxi113 did you read or did you just post randomly....

"We finally found a European-made all-metal core unit with two unique properties: 1) it performs where the others do not, and 2) it is the only metal-substrate cat of its type that has EPA approval for use on public roadways. [EPA-approved cats should come with an EPA registration card.] Great performance + no worries at emissions check time = exactly what we were looking for."
Old 05-05-2006, 02:45 AM
I R The Law

would the cat fit on the greddy evo2? cause i hate that rusted look of the stock cat
Old 05-05-2006, 12:20 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Originally Posted by nailz420
Brian, you never really told us what performance increases we should expect from it.

Good observation! ;-)

I haven't been able to pin the performance numbers down to something I feel confident about because our results, and our customer's results, are all over the place.

One of our distributors said a customer had told them he dynoed 20+ hp. Some of our dyno numbers (at various point on the curve, rather than peak hp) have been almost this high too.

But I'm sorry, these numbers are rediculous, and I can't treat them seriously. You can get a huge range of numbers for something like this, depending on the baseline circumstances. If a FastCat is the first exhaust performance part (i.e. everything else is stock), you'll get one result, but if its the last exhaust part (car already has headers or a y-pipe and a good catback), you'll get a very different result from the same part. There is probably some difference between the results on a VQ30 vs a VQ35 too (our CB-G5 catback makes 2x as much power with a VQ35). And don't forget, that if the baseline ("before") dyno is done with a melted or stopped-up stock cat, the "after" dynos with a new cat (any brand) will be artificially high, too.

So, if you want "official" numbers for the FastCat - with all the caveats just expressed - then I'll go with the most conservative numbers we get, which are roughly 3-5 ft/lbs of torque at the low end, and 3-5+hp at various points higher on the rpm range.

But, depending on your circumstances, you may well do better...

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance
Old 05-05-2006, 12:23 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Originally Posted by The Law
would the cat fit on the greddy evo2? cause i hate that rusted look of the stock cat
The FastCat exactly replicates the bolt-up dimensions of the stock cat - i.e. the positions of the end-flanges, and the distance between them are the same. It will work with any exhaust part that is designed to fit the stock cat.

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance
Old 05-05-2006, 05:22 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

will it work on a 95?
if i didnt remember wrong, 95 and 96 have O2 sensor in the cat
Old 05-13-2006, 11:21 AM

Hey Brian, just got back from AZ, I wish I could pay you a visit but still that phone conversation was great anyway, it sound like you'll get my cash soon ( headers & fast-cat )

Cheers

AA
Old 05-14-2006, 02:42 AM
VIP

I'll wait till I do your header setup on my car before doing the FastCat. The y-pipe I got from you a few months ago is AWESOME! Definate power increase from my butt dyno.

Your products kick ***! Keep fueling the fire!
Old 05-14-2006, 07:30 AM

will us '95 guys get one w/ an 02 sensor hole?
Old 05-16-2006, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by maxima939
will it work on a 95?
if i didnt remember wrong, 95 and 96 have O2 sensor in the cat
Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. Do we have to do some modifications for the sensor on the 95 ?
Old 05-16-2006, 03:53 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Originally Posted by aznsap
will us '95 guys get one w/ an 02 sensor hole?

I know we should offer a cat w/ a 0.5" O2 port for the 95/96, but to be honest, I'd be guessing about the location and I'm not sure how location-sensitive the sensor is. The core units are really expensive and I can't stand the thought of cutting up more than one. It might work to install a port just behind the connecting flange on the b-pipe, but that could be too far away (and you'd still get a CEL).

The one sure-fire solution would be to install an O2 simulator and then the sensor wouldn't need to be in the exhaust stream at all (but it does remain wired in). You'd be smog-legal and your ECU would be happy too. Oddly enough, we have some of those on hand for $28.

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance
Old 05-21-2006, 09:17 PM

any dynos?
Old 05-22-2006, 10:34 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Originally Posted by zack342
any dynos?
Go back through the thread to my post on 05 May, which discusses the erratic dyno results we've gotten. The cat always makes some power, but some dynos show rediculous amounts of power that can't really be logically explained, so I don't use those numbers.

Better to stick with what we know can be routinely reproduced, which are gains of 3-5 ft/lbs of torque on the bottom end, and about the same HP numbers towards the top end.

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance
Old 05-26-2006, 03:19 PM

Look what I found

Thanks Brian
Old 05-30-2006, 03:07 PM
Licensed to Spell

:o)

Brian, what's the in/out diameters of your fastcats? What is the weight? Thanks.

- Josh
Old 05-30-2006, 03:43 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

the inlet and outlet are 2.5" and the cat weighs about 5 lbs. I'll also mention that the flow is unidirectional, so it doesn't matter which end is which.

BCC

Originally Posted by ptatohed
Brian, what's the in/out diameters of your fastcats? What is the weight? Thanks.

- Josh
Old 05-30-2006, 03:48 PM
Licensed to Spell

:o)

the inlet and outlet are 2.5" and the cat weighs about 5 lbs. I'll also mention that the flow is unidrectional, so it doesn't matter which end is which.

BCC

So it won't work with a stock 2" exhaust, correct?
Old 05-30-2006, 04:03 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Originally Posted by ptatohed
So it won't work with a stock 2" exhaust, correct?

It would be a problem to use a 2.5" cat with a monster 3" or 4" exhaust system, but it will work fine with a 2" exhaust. All that matters is that the bolt holes match up with the bolt holes on the Y- and B-pipes (and they're slotted, so that's easy enough), and that the flanges you're bolting to the cat flanges seal the 2.5" opening (which they would do, easily).

The inlet and outlet on the stock cat are quite a bit bigger than 2", even though the tubing leading to and away from them is substantially smaller, and this causes no problems.

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance
Old 06-03-2006, 09:12 PM

hey brian, how long is this deal going on for?
Old 06-09-2006, 02:43 PM

Cattman,
I sent you PM about this and some other stuff.
Old 06-09-2006, 03:44 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Originally Posted by MaDxKiLLa
hey brian, how long is this deal going on for?
I'm going to end it around the 16th of June.

BCC
Old 12-21-2008, 08:32 PM

is this still going on?