Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

I30 on Sprints

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2003, 07:35 AM

I30 on Sprints

Hey guys,

I currently have Maxspeeds on my 98 I30 and I think it needs to be lower...actually I almost know it needs to be lower. With that in mind I'm not looking into getting Sprint springs instead to put on the car. I've read a lot of threads regarding Sprint springs and how they kill ride quality but I was curious if anyone here actually has them on their car and could verify. My maxspeeds aren't too bad ride quality wise and I could handle maybe another 10-15% decrease in ride quality being that we have very smooth roads here in the Phoenix/Scottsdale area. I would love to see pictures of an I30 on Sprints especially. I've seen a few on Eibach's, progressive, and maxspeeds but never one on Sprints so I'm curious how it'll look. Even better if the wheels are 18's. If you have pics please post em.

Also, would my GR2's handle Sprints ok? I want AGX's but I've thrown down quite a bit of money into the car recently and I need to have one of those..what are they called..hmm.. "budgets" so I'd rather not fork out 300+ for them at this point in time.

Btw, anyone have the top of the line monroe shocks, the Sensa-Trac's?
I have a friend who has them on an Nissan Altima and he said he loves them but he's also an idiot so I take what he says rather lightly. Could they handle a lowered vehicle as well as GR2's?

Btw, would anyone be in the market for a set of Maxspeeds (should I buy the Sprints) for about 100 shipped? Oh, I have a rear coil cut on them to even out the ride perfectly.
Old 04-01-2003, 09:50 AM

I believe GR2's are stock replacements so I doubt they would handle the drop. I have sprints with the AGX combo and 18's except my pictures have'nt been updated yet. Give me a few days and I'll try to take some new pictures but you might have to wait till the weekend. As for ride quality, i think it's harsh. Here was my previous setup when i got the car so I don't know what stock feels like...

Previous owner clamped 2 coils together on all springs for a drop plus some struts were busted ( I got my car from a salvage yard and reconstructed it )

I think the harsh ride is a combo of the 18 inch wheels and the 2 inch drop. I would like to compare the ride on a set of eibachs though. Maybe a higher spring will give me more comfort
My current pics is on the clamped springs with my 18's.....
Old 04-01-2003, 10:09 AM

Figured as much..Guess I'll have to wait a bit and get AGX's though I've heard from people who still have factory struts with sprints and are going 10,000 miles strong. Flukes probably.

Anyways get those pictures up. Your car looks real good on 18's but it's a bit too distant to really see the drop and the wheel gap. Looking real good though.
Old 04-01-2003, 10:10 AM

Crap..always forget something.

Now if the drop is 2 inches..will I need camber bolts? That's more money I don't want to spend if I don't have to.
Old 04-01-2003, 10:19 AM

Originally posted by Tapio
Crap..always forget something.

Now if the drop is 2 inches..will I need camber bolts? That's more money I don't want to spend if I don't have to.
Oh yeah, forgot that part. I would definitely get the camber bolts....$30 is a drop in the bucket compared to $500+ for a new set of tires. I noticed uneven wear after 10k miles. I think my tire width is 8.5, but whatever it is, it's wider than stock. With wider tires, uneven wear will occur faster without the proper camber. TireRack has the camber bolts for $25 plus shipping, I just put them on my car. I'm waiting for an alignment after I replace my wheel bearing .
Old 04-02-2003, 07:10 PM

I just installed a set of Eibach ProKits into my 01 I30, the ride is incredible. The height is about as low as id want it to go, and there is almost no camber change, so no need for a kit. The ride quality is slightly harsher than stock. However they are very stiff and handle like a ****.
Old 04-02-2003, 08:08 PM
Got Projectors?

Originally posted by JSpecMax
I just installed a set of Eibach ProKits into my 01 I30, the ride is incredible. The height is about as low as id want it to go, and there is almost no camber change, so no need for a kit. The ride quality is slightly harsher than stock. However they are very stiff and handle like a ****.

Hey Jspec-

Did you change out your struts when you did the springs? If not, does it feel like you need to? I'd really like to go ahead and do springs, but I don't have the money for the struts yet, and I'd rather go ahead and do them both at once if I need to do them both.

Thanks,

John
Old 04-02-2003, 10:50 PM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

Eibachs will be OK with stock struts for a while. When I say OK, I mean they won't blow right away, but they will not dampane(sp?) very well.
With sprints, stockers will not last long. Alot depends on how many miles are on the stockers, but in general they will probably blow fairly soon. Of course there is alway an exception, so don't come here telling me how wrong I am becase so and so had sprints and stock struts for 50K miles.....

The way I see it is that most of us don't autocross or turn many hot laps so the drop is mainly for looks, besides the occasional spirited driving. So when considering using stock struts because of money reasons just think of the labor costs. If your doing the install your self go ahead and throw on the springs and save up for the struts later. Then you will really appreciate how much a good set of struts help. If your paying a shop to do it then it makes good money sense to do it all at once. You don't want to pay a $200 install fee twice.

I needed no camber bolts for my Eibachs but I know may who did for the sprints. There is actually a way to adjust the camber a little bit with the play we have in our front end parts, there is a write up of it somewhere. It can be adjusted enough for a slight camber adjustment.

Jspec: You have a 2nd gen so your stock wheel gap is not near as severe as us 1st gens. I am sure Eibachs give you the perfect look, while Eibachs on a 1st gen just make it look like it should have looked from the factory. I am constantly debating weather to go lower. The problem with the 1st gen I30 is that a 2" lowering spring leaves almost no front wheel travel. I can be a real problem.

IMO. If you want to handle like your on rails get Eibachs. If you are more concerned with looks get sprints.

I could keep on typing but that is enough for now.