Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

Another HID question

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2004, 11:41 PM

Another HID question

Since I'm highly disappointed in my (enter adjective associated with bad here) smoked cefiros, figured I should get an HID kit to make up for it. http://www.sportsimportsltd.com/higblubeam75.html
Anyone ever shopped here before? they've got Hi/lo beam single bulb kits on there for 469, little more for high Kelvin temps. Problem is, they list warranty as 2yrs/2000 hrs, but no brand is listed, so its probably an off brand, but sounds like good deal? maybe too good..opinions as always, appreciated
Old 06-06-2004, 06:35 AM

whats wrong with the smoked cefiros
? I have regular...I am also interested iin an HID kit with hi/lo fro cefiros.....
Old 06-06-2004, 08:00 PM

Well, neither of the aiming screws work, so any adjustment is non-existant, the light output, is to say the least, questionable, but I knew this before I bought them, the visual upgrade is great, I think the car looks a lot better with these, and they were a perfect fit..just kinda disappointed
Old 06-06-2004, 10:06 PM

Is the visual output any worse than the stock headlights with stock bulbs?
Old 06-06-2004, 10:41 PM

I have OEM cefiros from Taiwan and the light output is definately better than stock. I know that the smoked cefiros are not OEM, maybe that is why you are having problems.
Old 06-07-2004, 04:40 AM

If your adjustment screws aren't working, then I highly suggest you do not get HID's as that'd be twice as bad.

They will have so much glare at incomming traffic it won't be worth it.

Another option you can consider is retrofitting projectors in them! Check out hidforum.com for ideas. But basically you can open up the headlights, remove parts of the reflectors (or re-use) and put in bi-xenon projectors. You'd have the most kickass setup around here, plus a cut-off line that is just sooo sweet. (it's looks like ___\------) I'm sure you've seen some of the high end cars with that, it's really sweet.

I was thinking about retrofitting in my headlights, but I've already sold my old headlights and I'd need to swap them back till it's ready .... Plus it's a lot of work .. search ebay for bi-xenon projectors with ballasts + bulbs I'm sure you can get it for $300-500 u.s. ... Or hidforum.com has a few for sale at any given time.
Old 06-07-2004, 08:47 AM

Ive heard that the Hi/lo HID retrofits suk. They supposedly fry your wiring hranesses real quick.

I like the projector retrofit! That would be sweet!
Old 06-07-2004, 10:48 AM

Infinisteve: I won't blind anyone, as of right now, my headlights are aimed straight to the ground, with the mass of the light, hitting maybe 4 feet in front of my bumper.

I may end up ordering a set of the regular cefiros(non "smoked"), since I've heard of a couple others on the .org having the same problem with the smoked cefiros. I actually raised the light on my foglights to make up for the marginal light output, which helped some.
Old 06-07-2004, 01:31 PM

I have a Hi/Lo retrofit .. and it doesn't suck it's actually decent (at least on the OEM cefiro):

Also, there is no wiring problems if you buy a relay harness (which I have aswell) .. if anything fries it'll be the relay harness which is pretty sturdy anyway.
Old 06-08-2004, 07:16 AM

That light output looks so uneven, and is not nearly as wide or far as my light output on my stock HIDs.
Old 06-08-2004, 11:23 AM

Just remember that there is no stock HID on a 98 I30. But I agree .. the hi/lo system I bought has some issues with the hi bulb interfering with the lo bulb. Another thing is I have to adjust the beam slightly ... In any case, the output still kills halogen ... I may upgrade or modify it, however it's good enough for me
Old 06-10-2004, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by InfiniSteve
Just remember that there is no stock HID on a 98 I30. But I agree .. the hi/lo system I bought has some issues with the hi bulb interfering with the lo bulb. Another thing is I have to adjust the beam slightly ... In any case, the output still kills halogen ... I may upgrade or modify it, however it's good enough for me

InfiniSteve,

Did your 98 130 come stock w/ 9004 halogens? What kind of kit did you put in? Kelvin rating? From the photos it looks like 4300k or 5000k. Did you lose you high beams in the conversion since a 9004 is dual filement?

How about the glare issue since stock halogen reflector housings aren't made for the HID lumens? Do you get flashed often?

Are you lens on your headlights clear or do they have a texture on them?

I'm curious becasue I have a 99 130 and was debating wether to throw a bi xenon kit in it.

Thanks
Old 06-10-2004, 04:30 PM

I converted to Cefiro headlights.. those headlights use H4 instead (not 9004). Only get a hi/lo hid if it's H4 I think .. I didn't lose it, however I bought a cheap japanese brand (Brightstar) which has two bulbs on the same base (one hid bulb for lows, and one halogen bulb for high). The problem with this system (instead of the system that moves the reflector) is that the high beam bulb interferes with the cutoff pattern, I partially lose my cutoffs.

In any case it's a 6500k H4 hi/lo .. I haven't been flashed yet at all. Reason being is that my cutoff line (the line that continues to the left) has disappeared slightly, so there's no lights going into oncoming traffic. The lenses are clear cefiro one piece .. pretty much the same lense as 98-99... they have lines going through them but they are very faint and don't seem to affect the pattern..
Old 06-10-2004, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by InfiniSteve
I converted to Cefiro headlights.. those headlights use H4 instead (not 9004). Only get a hi/lo hid if it's H4 I think .. I didn't lose it, however I bought a cheap japanese brand (Brightstar) which has two bulbs on the same base (one hid bulb for lows, and one halogen bulb for high). The problem with this system (instead of the system that moves the reflector) is that the high beam bulb interferes with the cutoff pattern, I partially lose my cutoffs.

In any case it's a 6500k H4 hi/lo .. I haven't been flashed yet at all. Reason being is that my cutoff line (the line that continues to the left) has disappeared slightly, so there's no lights going into oncoming traffic. The lenses are clear cefiro one piece .. pretty much the same lense as 98-99... they have lines going through them but they are very faint and don't seem to affect the pattern..
I did find that they make a few 9004 bi xenon kits out there but there quality is suspect except for the Catz HID. They make a 9004 Bi xenon but is extremly hard to find. I believe it has a bulit in sheild that moves back and forth to effect the amount of light that hits the reflector.

I know that a retro with projectors is ideal but I love the way the headlights look on the 98-99's. I was curious if you are still using the halogen reflectors and if you noticed any yellow or brown spots? I just don't want to spend $500 and find out that I'm that glare monster on the road. If your headlights are OEM Cefiro, Im asuming that they are exactly the same (Nissan). So the light output and beam pattern would be the same. I would love to se a beam pattern on a wall or garage from about 15 feet away. Do you have other pics of ground coverage?

There is just no coparison to HID. And when they fire up, that color change and the brightness. Your like "WOW". I currently run some Hella XP's halogens and they are way brighter then the stock but still have some yellow in them. I'm just trying to get a idea of who has Installed a conversion kit on a I30 and how are the results before I spend that kind of money.
Old 06-11-2004, 02:33 AM

If you have the cash I would go with retrofitting projectors. I love the way have a straight cutoff line that is soo sharp.

The cefiro headlights are a direct fit on the I30. They are Nissan and the quality is good. I haven't noticed any yellow or brown spots. Just remember to buy the OEM version. There is an aftermarket smoked cefiro kit (see above) and apparantly the pattern isn't that good.

Here's my cefiro pattern, left half is halogen, right half is hid:

As you can see on the right side my cutoff is going down instead of straight (due to the bulb being in the way). I suggest if you go this route, make sure you get a decent H4 hi/lo kit. But in any case you can see there isn't much glare going out to other cars .. and the cutoff is sharp.
Old 06-11-2004, 12:16 PM

Catz H4 hi/lo kit with OEM Cefiro on 99 Maxima

I have this setup for months and I really enjoy the beautiful cutoff and bright illumination. For anyone who wishes to go for Cefiro headlight, I strongly recommend to go for the OEM version.