Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

Wear and Tear - Struts Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2005, 09:15 AM

Wear and Tear - Struts Replacement

Hi all,

I have a 2001 Infiniti I30T with 47,000 miles. It's time to replace my worn struts, so I bought Tokico HP (Blues). I am keeping my stock springs, as I do not want to lower the car. I plan to have my struts installed this weekend.

Are there any other things related to the suspension I should have replaced while I'm having struts installed? No point in having new struts but have them destroyed due to other deteriorating parts of my suspension.

If you could let me know what other parts I might want to check/replace through this process, I'd greatly appreciate it!
Old 03-15-2005, 09:30 AM

not really, your bushings are still decently new and your springs I think the I30t has a stiffer ride than the regular I30. There shouldnt be anything that you should have to replace, but after 47,000 your struts were going already? I was at 114k before i switched mine, and they were fine. Nice choice on the struts!
Old 03-15-2005, 09:32 AM

If you're having the struts replaced, the only thing I'm familiar with as wearing are tie rod ends.

I'm curious that you have/need a replacement of this item at that mileage. Can you tell me what characteristics it showed you to indicate the struts were worn?

My curiosity exists as mine has well over 100k and aside from a strut tower brace added, I've never touched the suspension and (as far as I know) it's in great condition.

I recently scrubbed down the wheel wells and f/r major suspension components just to check them over for such wear and didn't find anything odd.

Perhaps I'm missing an indicator of wear in how it rides though. Can you post what tipped you off to the struts wearing?

TIA
Old 03-15-2005, 12:28 PM

A few things, I bought this car Cert. Pre-Owned at 34,000 so I put on 13,000 miles myself. There's no way to tell if the previous owner abused it or took it slow over potholes/bumps.

One sign is that I have creaking noises from the front left when the wheel is turned and I go over small bumps - altho it could be something else too. Also I drive in NYC very often, and NYC has the worst roads anywhere in the United States - there are literally craters that go down up to 7 or 8 inches, in addition to expansion joints all over the place, as well as just crappy potholes everywhere, and my suspension really takes a beating (alignment also gets out of whack too). So my ride quality has been terrible (but maybe I am expecting too much from the I30's rear beam axle?).. Also when I'm driving highway speeds, when the wind blows, I can feel the car shift - very unstable - this I have heard is due to worn struts.

So 1) ride quality diminishing severely and 2) instability when I drive at like 60mph, not even just wind, but just driving I feel like the car isn't planted on the road

I might be paranoid, but I already bought the struts so might as well go for the installation.
Old 03-15-2005, 03:00 PM

a while ago, one guy from nyc in 4th gen said that he bought some heavy-duty monroe shocks that seem to be good in the pothole capital of USA
Old 03-15-2005, 04:42 PM
Armed and Dangerous

I would go with tokico illuminas. That way you can make the rears tighter than the fronts inorder to correct the horrible understeer that our cars have.

I would replace all the smaller suff too. Your car is already 4 years old and with out doing it, you are asking for a God awful amount of racket in the next couple of years.

For maximum effectiveness, I would replace the strut bearings, bump stop/ dustboots,and upper spring rubber in the fronts and the bump stop/ dust boots, and upper spring rubber in the rear (tocico illuminas come with all the other rubber bushings for the rear).