Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

Busy weekend with my car!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2005, 12:45 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Busy weekend with my car!!!

Wow... Got lots done this weekend. Removed the rear badges (all but the halo), cleared the rears (Look freakin awesome!!!), installed the rear strut bar, washed and waxed. She is very pretty again, sure am glad winter is done!! Next week? JIC MAGIC COILOVERS!!!! I can't wait!!! Summer wheels go back on when I get them!!! Also rear sway bar. Anybody with an I30 out there have a rear sway? Curious what the differences driving are.

Pics will be posted when all the work is done!!!
Old 03-27-2005, 10:04 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Can you elaborate on "clearing your rears"? Post pics if you can, thanks.
Old 03-27-2005, 10:26 PM

I cleared the rears like the maxima guys do...

Remove the entire tail light (Easy)

Then you need to remove the lens on the front of the tail light (Hardest part)
This was done by heating it in the oven on the lowest setting and VERY GENTLY prying the lens off. The glue is a SOB to get to soften... Once it does it comes off very easily. This can take quite a long time and several times in and out of the oven. Don't hurry it or you will crack the lens.

Once the lens is removed you take the orange plastic out.

Place the lens back on. Be careful to keep the glue inside.

Replace the tail light.

P.S. You need a orange or amber bulb (1156 in a 96 I30) to replace the one that is inside the blinker. I ordered from superbrightleds.com.

Pics posted soon.
Old 03-28-2005, 04:30 AM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

Good stuff. Get those pics!
Old 03-28-2005, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by KNYFE
I cleared the rears like the maxima guys do...

Remove the entire tail light (Easy)

Then you need to remove the lens on the front of the tail light (Hardest part)
This was done by heating it in the oven on the lowest setting and VERY GENTLY prying the lens off. The glue is a SOB to get to soften... Once it does it comes off very easily. This can take quite a long time and several times in and out of the oven. Don't hurry it or you will crack the lens.

Once the lens is removed you take the orange plastic out.

Place the lens back on. Be careful to keep the glue inside.

Replace the tail light.

P.S. You need a orange or amber bulb (1156 in a 96 I30) to replace the one that is inside the blinker. I ordered from superbrightleds.com.

Pics posted soon.
Okay, I thought that's what you meant, but there is someone else on this forum who also took out the inner lenses of all the tail lights: red, clear, and amber. I thought this might have been what you did. Do you have pics of the cleared tails? I wanted to do the same thing you did but I wasn't sure if it would look good without a diffuser lens inside. I don't like the idea of using the acrylic piece like the maxima guys. The car looks good though. Later.
Old 03-28-2005, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by BlackKnight
Okay, I thought that's what you meant, but there is someone else on this forum who also took out the inner lenses of all the tail lights: red, clear, and amber. I thought this might have been what you did. Do you have pics of the cleared tails? I wanted to do the same thing you did but I wasn't sure if it would look good without a diffuser lens inside. I don't like the idea of using the acrylic piece like the maxima guys. The car looks good though. Later.
In my first red/clear tails I used a clear replacement piece after removing the orange. Then I busted one of my tail lights and had to reclear a new one. This time I just removed the orange part and put nothing in its place, looks better like that. Matches the other side better.

Left side no replacement peice, right side replacement piece

Old 03-28-2005, 01:40 PM
Armed and Dangerous

I have a rear sway bar, expect better cornering and reduced body roll. Which kind are getting?

Lets see some pics of your shaved a$$.
Old 03-28-2005, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by I30tMikeD
In my first red/clear tails I used a clear replacement piece after removing the orange. Then I busted one of my tail lights and had to reclear a new one. This time I just removed the orange part and put nothing in its place, looks better like that. Matches the other side better.

Left side no replacement peice, right side replacement piece

I like that a lot. Thanks for the reinforcement in my decision Mike. I think I want to do the lens on the reverse lights as well, but I'm sure that's a bit harder to fit in the oven. Man I need to get a heat gun!
Old 03-28-2005, 03:33 PM

I have the stillen rear sway coming... Lots of new pics when the JIC's get on with the wheels and then we'll post pics of my bald a$$ (Well, except for the halo. That's hardcore!!!).
Old 03-28-2005, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by BlackKnight
I like that a lot. Thanks for the reinforcement in my decision Mike. I think I want to do the lens on the reverse lights as well, but I'm sure that's a bit harder to fit in the oven. Man I need to get a heat gun!
I have used all the methods and the heat gun is the easiest and safest by far.
Old 03-28-2005, 03:50 PM
Armed and Dangerous

Originally Posted by KNYFE
I have the stillen rear sway coming... Lots of new pics when the JIC's get on with the wheels and then we'll post pics of my bald a$$ (Well, except for the halo. That's hardcore!!!).
Good choice on the rear sway... the stillen type is more expensive, but it is the real deal as opposed to that dinky Addco POS type.
Old 03-28-2005, 06:55 PM
Donating i30 Owner

heh i have a sway bar.. and its pretty sweet.. takes turns nicely... my car does beautiful since the lowering springs.. and the kb gr2... (cant spend money on AGX..had to pay tuition..)

the lowerred car greatly improves cornering cause theres isnt much space for hte car to lift up... and its very smooth .. = \ .. (SMOOTH?) yes smooth... VOGTLAND srpings from europe for teh maxima QX.... 1.3" drop.. im telling u guys its smooth.. unless im going over gravel or sumthing type of thing.. but other wise.. local streets and highway very nice.. and also highway very sweet when changhing lanes..

anyway... yea lower the sexy beast...

yea gotta go get a halo emblem.. cause someone stole mine a 7 months ago.. hehe.. no time to replace.. must go to shae stadium junk yard.. anyone from NY wanan come along.. cause i dont know much about that place...

and im thinkign about a indash touch screen radio.. but having trouble cause .. i have to get it from ebay.. for minimal price cause.. well IM BROKE... wanan find a stock HU from something liek a denali or someother car that is double. din.. then hardwire that in.. that would BE SWEET cause it would look very very stock..

and im gettin gmy bluetooth phone for SPRINT (20$) ... so gonna get the blue tooth kit for the car.. which will hardwire into stero and have to hardwire car charger and aprogram in bluetooth fo rhte voice recognition... (NO MORE EAR PIECE .. unless i want to use.. hehehe)