Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

Extended Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2005, 07:03 AM

Extended Warranty

My 01 I30 Warranty just ran out and I was wondering if anyone had any input on the extended warranty plans that infiniti offers.

Has anyone purchased one, is it worth it or should I just go with one of those websites that sells extended warranties?

Also if anyone knows Infiniti's prices; its like a big secret at the dealer, they will only tell me if I go there and wont give me any literature to take home.
Old 04-12-2005, 08:42 AM

Im wondering this also, can it be purchased after the vehicle is several years old?
Old 04-12-2005, 05:15 PM
Armed and Dangerous

If the car has been well maintained you dont need any warranty at all... It is just a big scam on a car like the I30... Now if you owned a Chrysler, GM, Ford, Mazda, Mitsubishi, Subaru, or VW, that is a different story...
Old 05-14-2005, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by sweets_green
My 01 I30 Warranty just ran out and I was wondering if anyone had any input on the extended warranty plans that infiniti offers.

Has anyone purchased one, is it worth it or should I just go with one of those websites that sells extended warranties?

Also if anyone knows Infiniti's prices; its like a big secret at the dealer, they will only tell me if I go there and wont give me any literature to take home.

I posted a similar thread not long ago and the feedback varied. The dealerships around here charge about $1,800 for a warranty that covers 48 months or 48,00 miles as long as you have a little of your basic warranty left. I don't know if they have any options once the basic has ended though. I have been checking for third pary warranties but have not seen any that cover the features that we have like the power rear sunshade or heated steering wheel. Some guys said that you can buy a warranty from a Nissn dealer that will cover the same as the Infiniti would.
Old 05-14-2005, 07:50 AM

I am planning on buying a 02 I35 and was thinking about getting extended warranty myself. The cost for 7years/160000 Kms however is going to run about $2500 which includes roadside assistance (ack). Not too sure if it is worth it but since I am going to use the car for highway driving, it would give me little peace of mind to know I am covered.

For those that have more than either 60000 miles or 100000kms on their I35s or Maximas, was there any major problems that developed or are your cars still running strong. For 2500 loonies, I can do a lot of repairs if need be with that kind of money

Cheers
Old 05-15-2005, 05:45 AM

My basic warranty runs out in November. Right now I am thinking that I will not buy an extended warranty. Since the powertrain is covered until 2008 I may just stick w/that since engine repairs would be the most costly. If I have any problems with the interior after the basic runs out I may just pay out of pocket. Anyone not gone with the extended but regretted it later?
Old 05-17-2005, 12:26 PM
Armed and Dangerous

Originally Posted by Uber-Oakley
I am planning on buying a 02 I35 and was thinking about getting extended warranty myself. The cost for 7years/160000 Kms however is going to run about $2500 which includes roadside assistance (ack). Not too sure if it is worth it but since I am going to use the car for highway driving, it would give me little peace of mind to know I am covered.

For those that have more than either 60000 miles or 100000kms on their I35s or Maximas, was there any major problems that developed or are your cars still running strong. For 2500 loonies, I can do a lot of repairs if need be with that kind of money

Cheers
95k here... never had any problem with the vehicle except for replacing the KS which was only $100. I have had to do maintenence things, but that is to be expected.
Old 05-18-2005, 06:10 PM
im back!

well, im getting my catlyst replaced tommorow and its coverd under warranty, thank goodness and i have 77000miles on mine so its up to you
Old 05-19-2005, 03:52 PM

Hmm. Just purchased my 02 I35 and will be taking delivery this Tuesday. I inquired about extended warranty and the infiniti dealership was using a third party warranty and not Nissan's.

Does not Nissan/infiniti have extended warranty plans and is the business manager just giving be bulls***? The price he was offering me was $2450cdn and he mentioned the warranty starts on the date of my vehicle purchase and not the first in service date of the original owner. This does not sound right as most other warranties I have investigated always start on the first in service date of the vehicle. Any suggestions??

Old 05-19-2005, 08:08 PM

Hmm. Just purchased my 02 I35 and will be taking delivery this Tuesday. I inquired about extended warranty and the infiniti dealership was using a third party warranty and not Nissan's.

Does not Nissan/infiniti have extended warranty plans and is the business manager just giving be bulls***? The price he was offering me was $2450cdn and he mentioned the warranty starts on the date of my vehicle purchase and not the first in service date of the original owner. This does not sound right as most other warranties I have investigated always start on the first in service date of the vehicle. Any suggestions??

It does sound like he's offering you a third party warranty. The Infiniti or Nissan warranty would start from the first in service date of the original owner, like you said. The third party ones start from your date of purchase. When does your basic warranty run out? The powertrain should have at least three years left on it unless you're close to the 70,000 mile limit.
Old 05-20-2005, 12:45 PM

Just contacted infiniti of canada and confirmed that unless the I35 that I looked at had extended warranty purchased by the original owner, I could only go with a third party now. Weird. This is different than honda/acura as I always have the option of purchasing extended warranty through them so long as the original comprehensive warranty has not expired.

I am going to have to give it some thought with regards to the third party warranty the infiniti/nissan dealership is offering me. I guess the one plus from it when I talked to the business manager is that if I do not use that extended warranty for any service work, I can get all the money back. Sounds good but if I decide to purchase it, I am going to have the manager to put it in writing just to make sure I do not get screwed.

Old 05-20-2005, 12:56 PM

I personally would not buy one, but I have a 98 and I haven't had a single non-maintenance problem since I got the car 3 years ago. How much is the warranty? Do you really think you'll have $2000 worth of problems (that would be covered) with your car? I'd say that is unlikely and personally I'd risk the chance. Make sure you know exactly what is covered when you buy a plan like that. Find out some common problems for your year and find out if your plan will pay for those kinds of things. If not, forget it.
Old 05-22-2005, 07:19 PM

Just contacted infiniti of canada and confirmed that unless the I35 that I looked at had extended warranty purchased by the original owner, I could only go with a third party now. Weird. This is different than honda/acura as I always have the option of purchasing extended warranty through them so long as the original comprehensive warranty has not expired.
That doesn't sound right. I'd encourage you to check around to be safe. Maybe try emailing other dealerships here in the States if you don't have any others in your area. Also call Infiniti's 800# and speak to someone there. It's always better to be safe than sorry.
Old 05-22-2005, 07:25 PM

I guess the one plus from it when I talked to the business manager is that if I do not use that extended warranty for any service work, I can get all the money back.
Don't believe that. Once you give someone your money there is a good chance that you will never see it again. If you plan to not use the plan for any service then keep your money and don't purchase it. Those guys will say whatever they have to to get your money. If you are really more comfortable with the certified pre-owned warranty then maybe the Acura will be the way to go for you. For some reason it's hard to find certified Infinitis. I was told by a dealership here that if it's certified then they have to charge more for the car. But I have yet to see a certified Infiniti anywhere.