Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

like beating your face in a wall....

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2005, 01:36 PM

like beating your face in a wall....

well...i don't know if anyone else gets this or has this idea...but....is it pointless to put performance mods on our auto i30's??

i mean...we can't really be contenders unless we get nitrous...

i mean...

most v6 cars nowadays have over 220 at the crank and a lot more than ours at the wheels...

it seems that other than forced induction, intake, ypipe, and catbacks, etc...

i mean sure it's nice to be able to spew exhaust on a mustang once in a while...but personally im sick of losing to these new 4-bangers and such...(RSX-S, Scion 5spd,etc...)

maybe the i30 really is supposed to be a grandma car...

i love my car...and i really need some encouragement from you guys...cause even my max driving friend has no faith in me..
Old 06-20-2005, 01:53 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

sell your car and buy a 5 speed Maxima or do a 5 speed conversion.
even though my maxima is now 6 years old it is still very quick with the mods i have done and i can keep up with or beat alot of the new cars.
Old 06-20-2005, 03:25 PM

but personally im sick of losing to these new 4-bangers and such...(RSX-S, Scion 5spd,etc...)
does this apply to the '01 I30s also?
Old 06-20-2005, 05:40 PM
Armed and Dangerous

Well looks like you feel the same way that I did about 1 year ago, which is the auto is not gonna cut the mustard for performance.

Here is a bit of encouragement though...if you have the time and the heart to make your car the best that it can be you will in the end be able to hand most people their @sses. If that means turning into a manual then that means turning into a maunual.

You could just go with some boost, in which case you would be about as quick as a 5spd, but the auto might not be able to handle that extra power... it might fail.
Old 06-20-2005, 05:40 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by paulfromchicago
does this apply to the '01 I30s also?
Yea it does...except on the highway.(so i've heard)
Old 06-20-2005, 10:44 PM

Well our cars are about 10 years old now (as far as design), so you have to be realistic. You are trying to street race with a 10 year old AT. You really sound like you need a MT car, whether it be the I30 or something else. Once you have a Y-Pipe and than maybe an ECU and 00 VI than all the other mods aren't going to do all that much for you. I really don't think we have a "grandma" car, but its no street racer either.
Old 06-21-2005, 06:38 AM
G37S > I35 > UR Max

Dude, I don't know what you are talking about. I still see a whole lot more 4 gen maximas and I30s way more than i see newer models (A33). The original I30s were so nice, I wanted one so bad back in 96/97 touring model with 5speed that I couldn't even think straight. They are nice cars and can be modded like the maximas. You can't compare a 9-10 year old car to the standards of today. I have an I35 and my design is 5 years old, and there are cars now in my same class that have better handling, better design, more horsepower and torque but, I can care less. They are only a handful of people in the i30/I35 forums that even care about performance. Most people in here have the basic stereo+tints+wheels+suspension and other little cosmetic stuff here and there. That should tell you something, not many people who drive these cars really care about performance and they are just happy with lux car that stands out in the crowd from the everyday honda, acuras, toyotas. My take is this, if you are unhappy with your car trade it in, or sell it and get a newer model car OR if you are really into performance, the cheapest route will be for you to swap tranny's from auto to 5spd. Or do like the 4 gen max guys are doing and do a VQ3.5 swap.
Old 06-21-2005, 03:13 PM

yeah....im making a jdm show car....never really was into the drag...it was all for the rush...the more i think about it...its not worth it...
Old 06-21-2005, 08:12 PM

yeah i've had my 96 i30 for about two years now and just now am i deciding to mod it out. But the more i search online and narrow down my search results to nothing, im having doubts about it.
Old 06-21-2005, 08:21 PM
Armed and Dangerous

Originally Posted by i30SPEED
yeah i've had my 96 i30 for about two years now and just now am i deciding to mod it out. But the more i search online and narrow down my search results to nothing, im having doubts about it.
There is plenty you can do. Even just a y pipe, an intake, and some new struts with a 1.5 inch drop will make you appreciate the car much more.
Old 06-21-2005, 09:54 PM

the occasional canyon run might be a little fun...atleast that way nobody really bothers about speed....
Old 06-21-2005, 11:49 PM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

Originally Posted by cefiro8701
well...i don't know if anyone else gets this or has this idea...but....is it pointless to put performance mods on our auto i30's??

i mean...we can't really be contenders unless we get nitrous...

i mean...

most v6 cars nowadays have over 220 at the crank and a lot more than ours at the wheels...

it seems that other than forced induction, intake, ypipe, and catbacks, etc...

i mean sure it's nice to be able to spew exhaust on a mustang once in a while...but personally im sick of losing to these new 4-bangers and such...(RSX-S, Scion 5spd,etc...)

maybe the i30 really is supposed to be a grandma car...

i love my car...and i really need some encouragement from you guys...cause even my max driving friend has no faith in me..
I don't know what your talking about.
Old 06-22-2005, 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by I30tMikeD
I don't know what your talking about.
sorry...going through a crisis...i now realize that my car is slower than other cars...
Old 06-22-2005, 06:52 AM
G37S > I35 > UR Max

sorry...going through a crisis...i now realize that my car is slower than other cars...
I say tranny swap to 5spd or engine swap to Vq3.5. If I could only keep a car longer than three years, I would opt for a 6spd tranny swap in my I35 from a 03 Maxima SE. I had that choice about 6 months ago when a friend of mine totalled his Maxima 6spd. I got turned off when I saw what was involved with the I35 vs Maxima. It's alot easier for 4th gen maximas and 1st gen I30 tranny switch then it is for the I35 and 02-03 Maximas. Enjoy the car, and if you get the need for speed, go 5speed conversion.
Old 06-22-2005, 06:53 AM
Donating i30 Owner

...... this has crossed my mind too man.... when a civic picked up on my on the highway.... it sorta sucked but whatever... i love my car dont get me wrong... my handeling is pretty good.. imean its no BMW.... but once in a while i feel like im cheating on my car... cause i get into a BMW or two and i like the power.... but then i realize i love my car... my hsitory with it...

i mean i guess u need a 5 speed.... or even instead of a new car.. mabey a 3.5L with manual conversion..... liek 3K-4K $ i guess rite..? that should giv eyou back some of that i30 love....
Old 06-22-2005, 09:57 AM

IMO, an I30 can be a very sweet moded sleeper. But it takes more to get there than an average car. A couple thousand dollars can make the majority of typically moded type cars decently fast. With an I30 it takes more money, more research, more time, more dedication, more know how.

The fact is that if you take an auto I30 and add an intake, y-pipe, exhaust it is still a 15 sec family car. Not worth it IMO.

There are a few routes in which you can go to get to the point in which you can play with the big dogs and surprise the hell out of alot of people at the track and the street.

No matter which route you go you gonn need to spend around 2K for a decent suspension set up and some nice tires and maybe some rims. Rims are optional, if you have the BBS touring rims then just some nice tires are needed. If you have the turbine type rims then you really got to get something else. Or you can do like I did and get some rims off another Nissan/Infiniti that fit the car really nice.

As far as power, to really compete some fairly major work needs to be done. Of course there are many ways to skin a cat but here are the few basic ways.

A 5spd is almost a must. It can be done with an auto but for the sake of this post I am going to go with must having a 5spd. If you already have one then your ahead of the game. If not you gotta do the swap. Your looking at anywhere from $500-$1K going with used parts.

Then comes the power.

The least expensive way which will still get you results is something like my old NA setup. Intake, y-pipe, ECU w/ raised rev limiter, and MEVI/00VI. With a good driver this set up can do very low 14's or high 13's at around 100mph. Very respectable for our type of car and it will hold its own on the street. At the track you will still be on the slow end. This set up will cost around $1.2K-$1.5K when it is all said and done.

If you want to move out of the bolt on WRX, GSR, RSX typeS, or stock mustang relm then you got to dig deeper.

A great way is the VQ35 complete swap or VQ30/VQ35 hybrid. Not that expensive. Can be done on average for less than 1.5K. Will get you mid lower 13's with some essential bolt on's like headers. headers will be another $800. With this set up you got a sick NA sedan that will take just about any other sedan on the road while still being able to hang with the next level of cars such as modded Mustangs, some LS1's, and much of the FI import crowd.

Then there is FI, the most expensive but still in the end has the greatest potential. A nice SC set up that will get you arond 300hp to the wheels safely will cost $3K-$4K. You can sqeak out some 12 sec runs and be faster than 99% of the cars on the road. You don't have to be a master mechanic to install and maintain a SC setup, but you better know your way around a VQ.

Turbo is gonna be significantly more. A quailty turbo project that will net around 350whp-375whp is realistically gonna cost $6K-$7k. Alot of work and research must go into this and honestly should only be done by an owner who know there car inside and out. It is another level above the SC as in both money and know how. There are only a dozen or so turbo Maxima's/I30. This set up will get you lower 12's and with some slicks you could maybe sqeak out an 11 sec pass. On the street you don't have to worry about too much from a roll. But of course there will always be a car that will blow your doors off no matter how much is done to your car.

So don't come crying when your auto I30 with a couple bolt ons is slow. What did you expect? This is not the type of car that you can spend a few thousand dollars on ebay and be fast. It is unique and takes time, money, and effort to get to the level that I have taken my car. If you wanted something that would go fast for cheap you have the wrong vehicle.
Old 06-22-2005, 10:37 AM

Tell a RSX-S to turn on their AC on a 90-100F day and see if it can keep up then
Old 06-22-2005, 10:45 AM

^^^ agreed. thats wut makes i30s unique. its not an everyday car you see being driven around by 16 year olds. it takes time, and dedication to find the needed parts and its gonna cost you mucho dinero. But i appreciate what i have and thank god i dont have a honda civic.
Old 06-22-2005, 11:08 AM
Armed and Dangerous

Originally Posted by leeI35
I say tranny swap to 5spd or engine swap to Vq3.5. If I could only keep a car longer than three years, I would opt for a 6spd tranny swap in my I35 from a 03 Maxima SE. I had that choice about 6 months ago when a friend of mine totalled his Maxima 6spd. I got turned off when I saw what was involved with the I35 vs Maxima. It's alot easier for 4th gen maximas and 1st gen I30 tranny switch then it is for the I35 and 02-03 Maximas. Enjoy the car, and if you get the need for speed, go 5speed conversion.
O man... you really should of gone for that swap! A 6spd I35 would have been the ultimate.
Old 06-22-2005, 11:18 AM
Armed and Dangerous

Originally Posted by I30tMikeD
IMO, an I30 can be a very sweet moded sleeper. But it takes more to get there than an average car. A couple thousand dollars can make the majority of typically moded type cars decently fast. With an I30 it takes more money, more research, more time, more dedication, more know how.

The fact is that if you take an auto I30 and add an intake, y-pipe, exhaust it is still a 15 sec family car. Not worth it IMO.

There are a few routes in which you can go to get to the point in which you can play with the big dogs and surprise the hell out of alot of people at the track and the street.

No matter which route you go you gonn need to spend around 2K for a decent suspension set up and some nice tires and maybe some rims. Rims are optional, if you have the BBS touring rims then just some nice tires are needed. If you have the turbine type rims then you really got to get something else. Or you can do like I did and get some rims off another Nissan/Infiniti that fit the car really nice.

As far as power, to really compete some fairly major work needs to be done. Of course there are many ways to skin a cat but here are the few basic ways.

A 5spd is almost a must. It can be done with an auto but for the sake of this post I am going to go with must having a 5spd. If you already have one then your ahead of the game. If not you gotta do the swap. Your looking at anywhere from $500-$1K going with used parts.

Then comes the power.

The least expensive way which will still get you results is something like my old NA setup. Intake, y-pipe, ECU w/ raised rev limiter, and MEVI/00VI. With a good driver this set up can do very low 14's or high 13's at around 100mph. Very respectable for our type of car and it will hold its own on the street. At the track you will still be on the slow end. This set up will cost around $1.2K-$1.5K when it is all said and done.

If you want to move out of the bolt on WRX, GSR, RSX typeS, or stock mustang relm then you got to dig deeper.

A great way is the VQ35 complete swap or VQ30/VQ35 hybrid. Not that expensive. Can be done on average for less than 1.5K. Will get you mid lower 13's with some essential bolt on's like headers. headers will be another $800. With this set up you got a sick NA sedan that will take just about any other sedan on the road while still being able to hang with the next level of cars such as modded Mustangs, some LS1's, and much of the FI import crowd.

Then there is FI, the most expensive but still in the end has the greatest potential. A nice SC set up that will get you arond 300hp to the wheels safely will cost $3K-$4K. You can sqeak out some 12 sec runs and be faster than 99% of the cars on the road. You don't have to be a master mechanic to install and maintain a SC setup, but you better know your way around a VQ.

Turbo is gonna be significantly more. A quailty turbo project that will net around 350whp-375whp is realistically gonna cost $6K-$7k. Alot of work and research must go into this and honestly should only be done by an owner who know there car inside and out. It is another level above the SC as in both money and know how. There are only a dozen or so turbo Maxima's/I30. This set up will get you lower 12's and with some slicks you could maybe sqeak out an 11 sec pass. On the street you don't have to worry about too much from a roll. But of course there will always be a car that will blow your doors off no matter how much is done to your car.

So don't come crying when your auto I30 with a couple bolt ons is slow. What did you expect? This is not the type of car that you can spend a few thousand dollars on ebay and be fast. It is unique and takes time, money, and effort to get to the level that I have taken my car. If you wanted something that would go fast for cheap you have the wrong vehicle.

This is a great post!!! This is pretty much the current path that I am gonna take. Just like you said, the manual is a must. Once I am done with my swap (I am still looking for a fidanza flywheel. Maybe I should just say to hell with it and go with stillen?), I plan on SCing it. I will probably run a the base 6psi for while until I can stock pile up some more cash to safely run 10psi (fuel pump, JWT SC program, larger injectors).

I want to throw on some headers before I SC though. Also, I want to add an mevi w/ JTW raised rev limiter, (the 00vi looks like is requires more custom fabrication), but I dont know if I should put it on before I SC or after I SC. What do you recommend? Does it even matter?
Old 06-23-2005, 12:20 AM

dang...where would i get an 00vi????

thanks for the post Mike...that was the best post i've ever seen with an i30....can u go deeper with the 3.5 hybrid???is that the 3.5 bottom end bolted on to our cars???

is a 6mT possible with a vq30???

hehe....i can expect to have my car done next year....or so....
Old 06-23-2005, 09:02 AM

Dude, why even worry about it. Let all the speedsters upgrade their cars and crash while you cruise by the accident scene in luxury!
Old 06-23-2005, 11:31 AM
Armed and Dangerous

dang...where would i get an 00vi????

thanks for the post Mike...that was the best post i've ever seen with an i30....can u go deeper with the 3.5 hybrid???is that the 3.5 bottom end bolted on to our cars???

is a 6mT possible with a vq30???

hehe....i can expect to have my car done next year....or so....
You can get an 00 vi from any junk yard. Supposedly it bolts right up the the lower intake manifold plenum. From there though, it really requires a lot of custom work. The mevi seems like an easier intstall. Here is more info:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hlight=00+mevi

As far has the 3.5L hybrid I believe it is putting the 3.5 crank and rods into the 3.0L short block, then reusing the 3.0L pistons and heads. This is essentally stroking the engine into a 3.3L. Once again, the crank and rods are supposedly a direct fit, but who the hell knows.

There was one guy that did the 6MT swap into his 4th gen... I saw the pics about a year ago in the 4th gen forum... It seems like a lot of extra work. I would just stick with dropping in a 5spd.

I dont know how skilled you are, but 1 year should be more than enough time to do at least a tranny swap. I started collecting parts for mine back in Feb., all need is the fylwheel and the axles. Once I get those the actual swap should not take me more than 4 days. Hell, I lready installed the pedals which is the real PITA.
Old 06-24-2005, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by i30ds
You can get an 00 vi from any junk yard. Supposedly it bolts right up the the lower intake manifold plenum. From there though, it really requires a lot of custom work. The mevi seems like an easier intstall. Here is more info:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hlight=00+mevi

As far has the 3.5L hybrid I believe it is putting the 3.5 crank and rods into the 3.0L short block, then reusing the 3.0L pistons and heads. This is essentally stroking the engine into a 3.3L. Once again, the crank and rods are supposedly a direct fit, but who the hell knows.

There was one guy that did the 6MT swap into his 4th gen... I saw the pics about a year ago in the 4th gen forum... It seems like a lot of extra work. I would just stick with dropping in a 5spd.

I dont know how skilled you are, but 1 year should be more than enough time to do at least a tranny swap. I started collecting parts for mine back in Feb., all need is the fylwheel and the axles. Once I get those the actual swap should not take me more than 4 days. Hell, I lready installed the pedals which is the real PITA.
i've done swaps for other cars before...but never on my own car...im kinda scared for it...for now im gonna focus more on aesthetics...besides my tranny doesnt even have 100k yet...im gonna enjoy the comfort of a lazy left foot for now...

yes the hybrid was a bolt no...no fabbing required...but good look on getting the bottom end right???i might wanna go that way...do you think it'll change anything with emissions???fuel system upgrade??
Old 06-24-2005, 12:44 PM
Armed and Dangerous

i've done swaps for other cars before...but never on my own car...im kinda scared for it...for now im gonna focus more on aesthetics...besides my tranny doesnt even have 100k yet...im gonna enjoy the comfort of a lazy left foot for now...

yes the hybrid was a bolt no...no fabbing required...but good look on getting the bottom end right???i might wanna go that way...do you think it'll change anything with emissions???fuel system upgrade??
If you have done swaps before then this should be a piece of cake for you. THe sooner you swap trannys, the more resale value your auto tranny has.

If youre gonna stoke it be prepared for a lot of work... expect your car to be down for a while. THis aint pulling a tranny, you have to remove the entire engine and then disassemble it. You will have to replace many many seals and gaskets. And even if you find a 3.5 crank and rods at a scrap yard, they are not going to be cheap.

I doubt it would alter the emissions to point of failure... but since youre in cali and have to deal with carb and all its gay glory, dont hold me to that. You would not want to run any sort of fuel system upgrade. THe engine would remain na and dumping in more fuel would only make you run rich and make less hp.
Old 07-04-2005, 05:31 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Yeah !

undefined
Originally Posted by queenambeach
Dude, why even worry about it. Let all the speedsters upgrade their cars and crash while you cruise by the accident scene in luxury!
I agree! I love my I30 also and it's plenty fast for me ... my black beauty!!
Old 07-04-2005, 07:01 AM

I've got an bullet proof auto and it is a impressive tranny. Hits the 1 - 2 so hard it almost always lays rubber. Just my $.02 on the tranny. I love my I30. Seems like whenever I have a problem or an issue I get discouraged a bit but when I get back in and drive I fall in love all over again. I'm still a bit of a newbie and would like some clarificaton on MEVI and 00VI if someone would say a bit about it.
Old 07-04-2005, 11:50 AM

00vi...more work...all power...also cheaper and may be easier to find.

mevi...direct bolt on...lose some low-end...

which do u think is worth it???

love ur car BTW...
Old 07-08-2005, 08:24 AM

I guess I'd prefer the low end. I don't do too much highway/freeway driving so the low end would be better. Also, wouldn't the low end mean better off of the line? Thanks for the comments on the car btw.
Old 07-08-2005, 11:08 AM
Armed and Dangerous

If you had a manual tranny with the mevi i am sure you would forget about the lowend loss real quick!
Old 07-08-2005, 07:15 PM

I think that most manuals would not be much faster then my rebuilt auto. Mayhem I30 had a 4th gen man. and the few times we ran it wasn't much of a stretch at all.
Old 07-09-2005, 12:49 PM
Armed and Dangerous

Originally Posted by KNYFE
I think that most manuals would not be much faster then my rebuilt auto. Mayhem I30 had a 4th gen man. and the few times we ran it wasn't much of a stretch at all.
Manuals will smoke autos all day long... even with a rebuild, a vb mod, or even a high stall tc. The fact is that the auto would still suffer from NOT having direct power to the wheels like in the manual and the 20% drivetrain loss as opposed to only 10% in the manual. Can you lay serious rubber in an auto?? Can you bark (and I mean bark, not tiny squeek) 2nd in an auto?? I think not. The driver has more control in manual as well... can you double clutch your auto?? I think not.
Old 07-09-2005, 02:08 PM

Just to answer and not to get into a flame war... I can lay serious rubber when I start from around 2500 rpms and I get barks on the 1-2 whenever the pedal is all the way down.
Old 07-10-2005, 07:57 AM

Just to answer and not to get into a flame war... I can lay serious rubber when I start from around 2500 rpms and I get barks on the 1-2 whenever the pedal is all the way down.

One race between your auto and a friends 5spd means nothing really. Mod for mod a 5spd Max will always be faster. The only time I see an auto being better is if you had some crazy 700hp set up, but let us stay in reality.

The gearing on a 5spd and the less drive train loss is what makes a 5spd faster. Sure, from time to time you will here about an auto beating a 5spd. But there is something more going on that meets the eye in that situation.

So no, your rebuilt auto does not make for a faster car than a 5spd.
Old 07-10-2005, 09:12 AM

I think that most manuals would not be much faster then my rebuilt auto.
Note, I didn't say mine was faster.
Old 07-10-2005, 09:28 AM

what kind of set up do u have knyfe?
Old 07-10-2005, 11:14 AM

Stillen UD pulley, Bulletproof Tranny, Stillen Y, Greddy sp-2 catback, basic CAI for performance mods.
Old 07-10-2005, 01:14 PM

whats a bulletproof??and how loud is your exhaust??
Old 07-10-2005, 03:12 PM

Bulletproof trans is a type of rebuilt tranny. Better for hard accel. and more power and torque. Previous owner had nitrous for a while. He installed it. The intake is louder then the exhaust except when you really get on it from a stop.
Old 07-10-2005, 04:04 PM
Armed and Dangerous

..I can lay serious rubber when I start from around 2500 rpms and I get barks on the 1-2 whenever the pedal is all the way down.
Not like a 5spd though.

Quick Reply: like beating your face in a wall....