Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

What is the best suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2005, 04:08 PM

What is the best suspension?

Hey, I just got my '01 I30 about 4 months ago. And I recently got a new job, so I'll be getting more money. I was told that even though Nissans come stock with Tochico, my stock shocks will never be good if I decide to drop or change the performance of my car. I want to have new suspension, so that I can start to do engine work on the car. I'm looking for different opinions, what do you recommend?
Thanks
Alex
Old 08-13-2005, 04:18 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I've got the JIC Magic setup. All you'll ever need. I love it!!! Adjustable height and adjustable ride (hard vs. soft) all in one. Totally worth it for the $$$.
Old 08-13-2005, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by KNYFE
I've got the JIC Magic setup. All you'll ever need. I love it!!! Adjustable height and adjustable ride (hard vs. soft) all in one. Totally worth it for the $$$.
How much did u pay for it and where'd u get it?
Old 08-13-2005, 04:40 PM

And another thing, I just noticed you have a 96-99 I30
Mine is 2001, I'd have to get something different, wouldn't i?
Old 08-13-2005, 04:54 PM

i have the D2 setup. There was a groupd deal on k-sports which is bascially the same thing. i like my D2's. but i think the spring rate 9/7 is the same thing. These are basically JIC's but much much less in $. but is still a true coilover setup. The difference between 96-99 is that we have the a32 chasis n the 00-04??? or 03 not so sure have the a33 chasis. the a33 suspension from k-sport or d2 will require you to use the stock rear upper mount i believe..read more about ur suspension n the 5th gen. they fit the same way as mine fits the same for the 4th gen
Old 08-14-2005, 01:33 PM
Armed and Dangerous

5 way adjustable Tokico Illuminas are the cream of the crop... Get those with your choice of springs.
Old 08-15-2005, 11:33 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

yeah, go for a coilover system.

check out:
-Ksport
-Teins (u can get a package, that you can control the dampening from the cabin only for a33)
-D2
-Jic

these are way better than any strut/spring combo, bc they were design to work together.
Old 08-16-2005, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Luigi38
yeah, go for a coilover system.

check out:
-Ksport
-Teins (u can get a package, that you can control the dampening from the cabin only for a33)
-D2
-Jic

these are way better than any strut/spring combo, bc they were design to work together.
And true coilovers are way more expensive than any strut/spring combo.

When someone asks, "Which is best," are they really leaving cost out of the equation?
Old 08-16-2005, 08:28 PM

He asked for the best... He didn't give a price limit.
Old 08-17-2005, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by KNYFE
He asked for the best... He didn't give a price limit.
If you ask him, I bet he would.
Old 08-17-2005, 10:37 AM
Got Projectors?

Best suspension? Stock.

But none of us like that. So decide what you mean by "best." Best handling? Best comfort? Best in terms of adjustability? Best for daily drivability? Best for durability?

Personally, I like the confidence and surefootedness of the stock suspension pretty well. But damn I couldn't live with the looks. As you can probably figure out, I changed suspension pretty much for the aesthetics. As such, comfort was one of my main priorities. I run Tein H-Techs with Tokico Illuminas. Slightly more delicate of the drop springs out there coupled with adjustable struts gave me pretty much what I was looking for.

Though if there was some way to have the car ride like the stock suspension about 1.5" lower, I'd do that in a heartbeat.

And before all you coilover humpers go crazy over that last statement - no - coilovers are still much stiffer than the stock suspension.
Old 08-17-2005, 12:33 PM

There is a difference between stiff and sporty though... I actually moved from the softest setting on my JIC's (15) to 10 and I like it much better. Feels like a Max SE as far as the ride goes. I have ridden in several different max's with many different set-ups (including stock) and very few have felt as good as what I have.
Old 08-20-2005, 07:15 PM

If I wanted to spend less than $1K and upgrade my suspension, mostly highway, but a little "fun" driving, what would be a good approach to upgrading suspension?
Old 08-22-2005, 12:10 PM
twlm26

Originally Posted by swedeinfiniti
If I wanted to spend less than $1K and upgrade my suspension, mostly highway, but a little "fun" driving, what would be a good approach to upgrading suspension?
yo whats up i live in ct. where are you buy? but any way you should keep the stock suspension and just add sway bars and a strut tower. i think that is the best way.

Old 08-22-2005, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by swedeinfiniti

I would probably go with the Tein Basic setup. It can be found for under $800 and has good ride quality and handling and the ability to adjust ride height. You cannot adjust the ride quality but from all accounts the setting that Tein chose is going to give you a pretty comfortable ride compared to other aftermarket options.
Old 08-24-2005, 03:30 PM

Too bad the Tokico struts/shocks and Tein H-techs I'm selling are for the 1995-99 Max & I30. I could hook you up with a brand new set of both for $575 shipped.
Old 08-24-2005, 04:38 PM

If you want a sporty but firm ride go with the Eibachs (I did and LOVE it). If you want a drop for looks mostly, get some Tein H-Techs or H&R's.

Only struts I would use with any spring are the Tokico Illuminas. Adjustability and control are superb.

If you want to adjust rideheight start looknig for coilovers.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:39 PM

I was after the look of the drop without too firm of a ride. In fact, everywhere I looked, almost everyone said that H&Rs are the most comfy lowering spring, so I didn't expect to feel every bump in the road. I know that there are no lowering springs that feel as good as stock, but I have the dials all the way down to "1" and I still feel everything. While handling is improved, if you want comfort, go with the Illuminas and stock springs.
Old 08-25-2005, 11:17 AM

Tein Basics buddy bwoyyyyyyyy.
Old 08-26-2005, 07:19 AM

It's funny how much difference in opinion there is what is/isn't comfortable.

I'm running my Eibach's with the Illuminas on 5/5 and rarely find the setup uncomfortable. You definitely feel the road, but 90% of the time that is not a bad thing. This big car handle’s like it's on rails, and lets you know exactly what is going on at the tires.
Old 08-26-2005, 09:25 PM
maxS

stock means 4x4 boat. how is that the best.
Originally Posted by MetaOrbit
Best suspension? Stock.

But none of us like that. So decide what you mean by "best." Best handling? Best comfort? Best in terms of adjustability? Best for daily drivability? Best for durability?

Personally, I like the confidence and surefootedness of the stock suspension pretty well. But damn I couldn't live with the looks. As you can probably figure out, I changed suspension pretty much for the aesthetics. As such, comfort was one of my main priorities. I run Tein H-Techs with Tokico Illuminas. Slightly more delicate of the drop springs out there coupled with adjustable struts gave me pretty much what I was looking for.

Though if there was some way to have the car ride like the stock suspension about 1.5" lower, I'd do that in a heartbeat.

And before all you coilover humpers go crazy over that last statement - no - coilovers are still much stiffer than the stock suspension.

Old 08-26-2005, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by NewLoveI30
It's funny how much difference in opinion there is what is/isn't comfortable.

I'm running my Eibach's with the Illuminas on 5/5 and rarely find the setup uncomfortable. You definitely feel the road, but 90% of the time that is not a bad thing. This big car handle’s like it's on rails, and lets you know exactly what is going on at the tires.
going from feeling no bumps at all with a stock ride, then illuminas and stock springs, to every single bump in the road on illuminas and H&Rs, I can offer an opinion on the I30's comfort. like I said before, I was after the look of the drop but I definately knew I could expect a harsher ride. I just wasn't expecting to feel every single bump in the road. that is hardly stating that it is uncomfortable. in fact stiffening the ride greatly improved the feel since my last post. having changed the setting to "2" reduced the bounce while keeping the handling. I still have some tinkering to do to perfect my settings, but overall I am happy with the ride.

one thing that may not have been taken into account in the comfort of the ride is the wheel size. I'm riding on 17" G35 wheels, so I will feel the bumps more than someone lowered on smaller or stock wheels.

It is nice to be able to ask for opinions, but there is no way to obtain a truely objective opinion. the only way to tell if one will truely like the ride is the expensive way...through trial and error.
Old 08-27-2005, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by iRaMarine
going from feeling no bumps at all with a stock ride, then illuminas and stock springs, to every single bump in the road on illuminas and H&Rs, I can offer an opinion on the I30's comfort. like I said before, I was after the look of the drop but I definately knew I could expect a harsher ride. I just wasn't expecting to feel every single bump in the road. that is hardly stating that it is uncomfortable. in fact stiffening the ride greatly improved the feel since my last post. having changed the setting to "2" reduced the bounce while keeping the handling. I still have some tinkering to do to perfect my settings, but overall I am happy with the ride.

one thing that may not have been taken into account in the comfort of the ride is the wheel size. I'm riding on 17" G35 wheels, so I will feel the bumps more than someone lowered on smaller or stock wheels.

It is nice to be able to ask for opinions, but there is no way to obtain a truely objective opinion. the only way to tell if one will truely like the ride is the expensive way...through trial and error.

On a scale of 1 to 10, where 1 is "No bumps at all" and 10 is "Feels like a 9.0 earthquake", how would you rate your stock setup (before you switched to Tokicos) versus the Illuminas w/ stock springs.
Old 08-27-2005, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by dr-rjp
On a scale of 1 to 10, where 1 is "No bumps at all" and 10 is "Feels like a 9.0 earthquake", how would you rate your stock setup (before you switched to Tokicos) versus the Illuminas w/ stock springs.
not rating appearance or handling, but strictly comfort...I'd rate the following on a 1-10:

2 = stock springs on illuminas with stock wheels
3 = stock
4 = H&R springs on illuminas with stock wheels (keep in mind I didn't have much time to play with the dials.
6 = H&R springs on illuminas with 17" wheels.
10 = blown shocks with any springs that send you into the next lane anytime you hit a bump.
Old 08-24-2013, 07:02 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

So how is the suspension holding up today?