Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

When you see debris flying off a large semi..

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2005 | 06:58 PM
Got Projectors?

When you see debris flying off a large semi..

..Try your best to dodge it.

I, unfortunately, could not in time. And managed to hit some sort of rectangular piece of metal carthweeling off the back of a semi in the wind. It came down right at the front corner of my car and the road and shattered the front passenger side skirt. Yep, the very first Aussie ST-R front lip in the states is now in bits and pieces and ghetto duct-taped to my bumper.

Aside from the fact that I now have shattered front lip that I'll have to wait a while to get a replacement from Australia and then get painted, it sucks because I'm out of town, and it happened on I-75 a little ways from home. I pulled over and saw that my sidemarker light was hanging out of the bumper by the wiring and that the skirt was shattered into pieces. Only the very front screw was still holding on, whatever I hit managed to shear off the other two screws around the other side of the skirt. Some pieces were missing, paint was f*cked, and the rest was hanging off and scraping the road. I managed to get to the next exit; luckily they had black duct tape at this gas station so I was able to tape most of it back together and to the bumper. I also used my mad MacGyver skilz to dismantle a BIC pen to substitute for the rear corner screw to try to keep the remainder off the road.

Sigh. Maybe I'll use this as an excuse to get my bumper repainted while I'm at it. This just sucks, and I had to get it out. Just more hassle than I need right now.

And I know some of you sickos probably want to see the carnage , and believe me, I'd show you, but I can't figure out how to email the pics from my phone to a conventional email address. I think I have my digicam with me though, so tomorrow when I get some daylight I'll try to take some and get them up.

Blah. Something to think about when you put rare and hard to find parts on your car.
Old 08-19-2005 | 08:01 PM

dude that just sucks. i hope you get everything back together soon. and glad that you're okay, better a piece of plastic gets broken than yourself.
Old 08-19-2005 | 10:02 PM

yeah i hate that kind of ish. i see a rock just bouncing on the freeway towards me.. and lanes on both of my sides are full so all i can do is brace my car. lol
Old 08-19-2005 | 10:23 PM

i get really tense in those situations...but yeah...i saw a big rock flying towards my windshied while i was on an offramp...i didnt know it hit...i just thought it was my buddy in the backseat...i thought he clapped.until i saw the big silverspider on my windshield...

as noted before...atleast it was ur bumper and not the windshield..because if it was hard enough to take that off then it should be hard enough to crash through that glass.
Old 08-20-2005 | 11:35 AM

That kind of stuff is painful.

I had a semi blow a tire and throw it back at me. Marked up my bumper and shattered my side marker. Damn truckers should be responsible for these kind of things.

Hope you get everything put back together soon.
Old 08-20-2005 | 10:47 PM
G37S > I35 > UR Max

Originally Posted by MetaOrbit

I, unfortunately, could not in time. And managed to hit some sort of rectangular piece of metal carthweeling off the back of a semi in the wind. It came down right at the front corner of my car and the road and shattered the front passenger side skirt. Yep, the very first Aussie ST-R front lip in the states is now in bits and pieces and ghetto duct-taped to my bumper.

Aside from the fact that I now have shattered front lip that I'll have to wait a while to get a replacement from Australia and then get painted, it sucks because I'm out of town, and it happened on I-75 a little ways from home. I pulled over and saw that my sidemarker light was hanging out of the bumper by the wiring and that the skirt was shattered into pieces. Only the very front screw was still holding on, whatever I hit managed to shear off the other two screws around the other side of the skirt. Some pieces were missing, paint was f*cked, and the rest was hanging off and scraping the road. I managed to get to the next exit; luckily they had black duct tape at this gas station so I was able to tape most of it back together and to the bumper. I also used my mad MacGyver skilz to dismantle a BIC pen to substitute for the rear corner screw to try to keep the remainder off the road.

Sigh. Maybe I'll use this as an excuse to get my bumper repainted while I'm at it. This just sucks, and I had to get it out. Just more hassle than I need right now.

And I know some of you sickos probably want to see the carnage , and believe me, I'd show you, but I can't figure out how to email the pics from my phone to a conventional email address. I think I have my digicam with me though, so tomorrow when I get some daylight I'll try to take some and get them up.

Blah. Something to think about when you put rare and hard to find parts on your car.
j/k!

On a serious note, sorry to hear that man. I try my best to avoid objects in the road but some objects are just completely unavoidable. I can't believe you have ducttape on your lip to hold it up, I would be so f-ing mad you wouldn't believe it. Are you going to run this by your insurance or are you just going to take the hit and order and paint the parts yourself. Well, I hope everything works out for you and good luck with the australian parts. I might have to order me a few more lip spoilers in an event they run out.

oh and to make you feel better, my fiance ran the garden hose across my driveway to wash her car and the hose got caught on the front of my car. She dragged the hose across the passenger side front lip and I have scrapes and scratches all over the front lip. Friday that just past, I went to Passport Infiniti to have their local detailer buff out some light scratches on my hood from an idiot sitting on it and the garden hose scratches + scrapes on the lip spoiler. The scrapes didn't come off the lip and i might have to get the lip repainted too.
Old 08-20-2005 | 10:51 PM

damn, considering the things that are happening to the ST-R front lips i better hire a security guard to watch mine.
Old 08-20-2005 | 11:01 PM
G37S > I35 > UR Max

Originally Posted by kingofsorrow
damn, considering the things that are happening to the ST-R front lips i better hire a security guard to watch mine.
Wow, I just thought of something. Are we the only ones in the US with the AE skirts? I mean You, meta and I, if so we are definitely unique.
Old 08-21-2005 | 05:35 PM
Got Projectors?

Thanks for all the kind words and encouragement guys. I'm also sorry to hear about your misfortunes as well.

I'm still waiting anxiously to hear from Parry Nissan regarding the parts. I need to get to a body shop, and the more I think about it the more I can't help but think that I should repaint the bumper while I'm at it. It's rock-chipped all to hell right now anyway (Aside from being gouged from the latest incident. My concern there, however, is the paint not matching the rest of the car.

Oh, and Lee, sorry about your misfortunes as well. I had a now ex-girlfriend jump on the hood of my 2 day old I35 that bugged me for a long time before I had a PDR guy take them out. Thankfully my hood woes are over...for now.

And as to whether we're the only ones with them, I know of at least 2-3 other guys that have the front lips. I don't think the rears are quite as common yet...LOL
Old 08-21-2005 | 08:20 PM

you guys are way nicer than i am. you let folks sit on your hood and stuff like that. i don't let anyone in my car. if i go out with one of my girls, it's their car we ride in. no, no, no, no, absolutely nobody is putting their a$$es on my leather. don't touch the body of the car. if you can help it don't even look at the ****.
Old 08-21-2005 | 08:59 PM
G37S > I35 > UR Max

you guys are way nicer than i am. you let folks sit on your hood and stuff like that. i don't let anyone in my car. if i go out with one of my girls, it's their car we ride in. no, no, no, no, absolutely nobody is putting their a$$es on my leather. don't touch the body of the car. if you can help it don't even look at the ****.
LOL! A lot nicer lol, you mean you are a lot more meaner than us. I WOULD be mean to my fiance, but I might be on back-order (if you know what I mean) if I were to be.
Old 08-21-2005 | 09:03 PM
G37S > I35 > UR Max

Thanks for all the kind words and encouragement guys. I'm also sorry to hear about your misfortunes as well.

I'm still waiting anxiously to hear from Parry Nissan regarding the parts. I need to get to a body shop, and the more I think about it the more I can't help but think that I should repaint the bumper while I'm at it. It's rock-chipped all to hell right now anyway (Aside from being gouged from the latest incident. My concern there, however, is the paint not matching the rest of the car.

Oh, and Lee, sorry about your misfortunes as well. I had a now ex-girlfriend jump on the hood of my 2 day old I35 that bugged me for a long time before I had a PDR guy take them out. Thankfully my hood woes are over...for now.

And as to whether we're the only ones with them, I know of at least 2-3 other guys that have the front lips. I don't think the rears are quite as common yet...LOL
Hey meta, I thought you had a clear-bra on the front of your I35. Are you telling me that the rock chips have gone through the clear bra? or do you not have one?
Old 08-22-2005 | 02:46 AM

trucks suk...my dad was driving from miami to orlando late one nite..he never showed that nite...next mornin he finally arrives...apparantly while he was driving on I95, it started raining really hard and semi passed by in the lane next to him splashing crazy amounts of water at my dad, he ended up spinning out b/c of the water and ended up doin 360s and landing in the ditch in some bushes! he had to walk bak to the last exit at 4am in the storm...scratched some of his solara and broke the cover piece to the assasins...$70 bucks for the cover alone
Old 08-22-2005 | 08:55 AM
Got Projectors?

Originally Posted by leeI35
Hey meta, I thought you had a clear-bra on the front of your I35. Are you telling me that the rock chips have gone through the clear bra? or do you not have one?
My clear bra is on my hood, edges of my fenders, and on my side mirrors. Unfortunately none of it covers my bumper.

But if I get the bumper repainted...that whole ***** will be wrapped in a clear bra.
Old 08-22-2005 | 09:58 AM
G37S > I35 > UR Max

My clear bra is on my hood, edges of my fenders, and on my side mirrors. Unfortunately none of it covers my bumper.

But if I get the bumper repainted...that whole ***** will be wrapped in a clear bra.
LMAO!!!

Wow you covered everything up except the part that will take the most damage from road debris. ???????? Is the bumper clear-bra expensive?? I might invest in one since I only have about 7800 miles on my car and very little road debris.
Old 08-22-2005 | 01:29 PM
Got Projectors?

Mine was dealer-installed. I never had any hand its purchase or installation. Hell I didn't even know such a thing existed until the day I picked up at the dealership.

I don't think they're that expensive. Like maybe $300. Had I known the bumper would look this bad three years later I would have sought out someone to install the rest of the bra the day I brought it home.
Old 08-23-2005 | 09:00 PM
Armed and Dangerous

Damn sorry to hear about that. Just other day I was driving behind a large truck hauling dead christmas trees and one of the trees flew off the back!! It rolled right in front of me, but luckly I was able to swerve into the other lane to dodge it.
Old 08-23-2005 | 09:00 PM
Donating i30 Owner

WELL atleast ur safe

i was on the BQE.. in NY going on to the KUSKISKO? .. bridge... and some idiot was carringing lumber peices on the back of his pickup.. and decides he doenst need to tie it down or anything.. yea.. nest thign i know.. im going across 2 lanes back and forth.. thank god there was nobody else..

it was scary as hell...
Old 08-23-2005 | 09:04 PM
Armed and Dangerous

Originally Posted by HomerMAC
i was on the BQE.. in NY going on to the KUSKISKO? .. bridge... and some idiot was carringing lumber peices on the back of his pickup.. and decides he doenst need to tie it down or anything.. yea.. nest thign i know.. im going across 2 lanes back and forth.. thank god there was nobody else..

it was scary as hell...
yup. the christmas trees were not tied down either.
Old 08-31-2005 | 09:09 PM

Same thing happened to me, only it was a big rock and it hit and shattered my windshield. The windshield did not break though, only a like a million cracks in it now. Insurance took care of it right away. I know the feeling, sucks!
Old 09-10-2005 | 06:20 PM
Got Projectors?

Just thought I'd update you guys.

I was finally able to get my phone to sync up with Bluetooth to my computer once again, so I was finally able to get the pics off my phone.

They're only two, and they only show after I taped them because I was too pissed to think to take pictures when it was hanging in shreds. The quality's not great because it is a camera phone, and you might have to look hard because I was fortunate enough to find black duct tape at the gas station I stopped at.

And the finale ~ yesterday I had the repaired skirt installed. The car finally looks normal. Save for the trunk, but that's another story... sigh.
Old 09-10-2005 | 08:58 PM
Armed and Dangerous

Ouch!!

10char
Old 09-10-2005 | 09:20 PM
Got Projectors?

Funny thing is that it really didn't look that bad when it was taped up. But without the tape...just shattered and hanging in pieces and shards, and pieces missing, etc.

I'm just glad it's back to normal now.
Old 09-11-2005 | 10:15 AM

oh hell no. i would have had to kill somebody.
Old 09-11-2005 | 02:39 PM
Apple Pie Monster

Flying porta potties suck! I was coming back from burbank airport and we were in my moms integra. A big **** truck was in front of us with 5 portapotties in its stakebed. Sure enough my dad gets around the truck only to see it lose a pooper!!! I wonder if that blue crap is slippery? yuck.
Nice to see u all are ok, too bad u couldnt get any info off the truck to report it to the company and have them pay for your repairs.
Old 09-20-2005 | 08:21 PM

J that sux. I am sorry man.
Old 09-26-2005 | 11:17 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Sorry to hear about that! When I had my 240SX waaaaay back, I ran over a roll of toilet paper. I was doing about 60 mph and it literally cracked the bottom lip in two.

Sometimes I wish it was 1-ply...HAHA....

Sorry to hear! I feel your pain!

Chris
Old 09-28-2005 | 01:46 PM
Armed and Dangerous

oh hell no. i would have had to kill somebody.
+1^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 09-28-2005 | 01:46 PM
Armed and Dangerous

Originally Posted by chris_sa
Sorry to hear about that! When I had my 240SX waaaaay back, I ran over a roll of toilet paper. I was doing about 60 mph and it literally cracked the bottom lip in two.

Sometimes I wish it was 1-ply...HAHA....

Sorry to hear! I feel your pain!

Chris
A roll of tp did that?!?