Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

Headlights cleared + LEDS all around = NEW PICS!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2005, 04:23 PM
G37S > I35 > UR Max

Headlights cleared + LEDS all around = NEW PICS!!

Well, I have been debating and debating on if I should clear my headlights. Seeing as how there's not much else I can do to the exterior, I decided to get my headlights cleared last week. Since I am being sponsored by Redlinemax, I decided to ask Corey (owner) if he can help me. After about a hour of baking and aluminum foil wrapping + HID Balast removal and install we finally finished. The end product came out better than I expected and I have to also thank Kingsofsorrow for great idea on a Diamond Graphite I35. Anyway, I would had put up pictures last week however, I thought I would wait until my LEDs came in.

Anyway, below are pics of my car (yes again) with the clear headlights + LED clear amber turn bulbs + clear 194 bulbs in the bumper lenses and marker lights.

Old 10-19-2005, 04:24 PM
G37S > I35 > UR Max

More pics....

Old 10-19-2005, 04:43 PM
大陆弟弟

...so nice....let's trade headlights!
Old 10-19-2005, 05:26 PM
Got Projectors?

...I know I'm in the minority here...but I really like the amber..

Car looks good, but I think mine will stay amber for a good long while.
Old 10-19-2005, 06:13 PM
G37S > I35 > UR Max

Originally Posted by MetaOrbit
...I know I'm in the minority here...but I really like the amber..

Car looks good, but I think mine will stay amber for a good long while.
John, I thought the same way for awhile. Now that I am sponsored, I have to get the car into a show condition for representation of Redlinemax. If I get tired of the clear look, I will probably go back to the amber lenses since clearing the headlights were so easy.
Old 10-19-2005, 09:34 PM
Armed and Dangerous

Looks good.
Old 10-19-2005, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by i30ds
Looks good.
Can I get an Amen. Yesssssir!
Old 10-19-2005, 10:20 PM

DANMIT lee that look sssssooooo ******* sweet. great work. did you get resistors for the LED's? because when i did my turn signal to LED's they used to blink really fast, the resistors slowes them down to that nice LED "wink".
Old 10-20-2005, 06:34 AM

Wow that looks really good. I was planning on clearing my headlights too, still debating if I want to use chrome turn signal bulbs or the irridescent Sylvania Silverstarrs. I like the look of those clear bulbs though. Nice and clean. And about clearing the headlights and needing to bake them - I did that once for my 02 Altima to black out the headlights and install DDE's. Hardest part was getting the headlights out, the baking was easy like you said.
Old 10-20-2005, 07:06 AM

That looks really nice! Great job! You can get the LED bulbs for the rear also if you don't have them already. That is what I have in mine and I love how they look. I did LED break light bulbs and LED turn signal bulbs in the rear. What fun! lol
Old 10-20-2005, 07:27 AM
G37S > I35 > UR Max

Originally Posted by kingofsorrow
DANMIT lee that look sssssooooo ******* sweet. great work. did you get resistors for the LED's? because when i did my turn signal to LED's they used to blink really fast, the resistors slowes them down to that nice LED "wink".
Thanks kings. I have been looking at your site for quite some time now, thinking if I was going to make the move. It's funny because, everytime I wanted to do something to my exterior, I would referr to your site for ideas lol!

I did not get the resistors when I initially bought the LEDs. I ordered them as soon as I put the bulbs in and realized they were blinking fast in the turn signals. I ordered them on monday, and they should be in today.
Old 10-20-2005, 07:32 AM
G37S > I35 > UR Max

Originally Posted by Dr.Monkey1313
That looks really nice! Great job! You can get the LED bulbs for the rear also if you don't have them already. That is what I have in mine and I love how they look. I did LED break light bulbs and LED turn signal bulbs in the rear. What fun! lol
Hey Doc -

Thanks for the comments...I have not done anything to the rear bulbs at all. I am still debating on the LEDs for the rear. The bulbs are pretty inexpensive, I just have not had time to look into the rear since I think most of the lights on the I35 are LEDs in the rear except the turn signals + reverse lamps.
Old 10-20-2005, 07:34 AM
G37S > I35 > UR Max

Thanks again for the good feedbacks guys. I think the next project will be the replacement foglights from overseas. I am having redlinemax look into trying to ship over alot of the overseas parts.
Old 10-20-2005, 09:19 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by leeI35
Thanks again for the good feedbacks guys. I think the next project will be the replacement foglights from overseas. I am having redlinemax look into trying to ship over alot of the overseas parts.
Looks really good Lee. Getting ready to clear my turn signals here.

What other items are you talking about trying to bring in? ST-R kits by chance? Hoping this importing works out for you.
Old 10-20-2005, 09:35 AM
G37S > I35 > UR Max

Originally Posted by StL I30
What other items are you talking about trying to bring in? ST-R kits by chance? Hoping this importing works out for you.
THAT is exactly what I am trying to get Redlinemax to do. The thing is, there has to be demand for it or it will be pointless. I want the full ST-R maxima Kit here including the foglights and whatever else we can get our hands on.

If I end up keeping my car longer than two years, I will definitely have redlinemax do the 6spd conversion and the secret-power-adder
Old 10-20-2005, 09:49 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

THAT is exactly what I am trying to get Redlinemax to do. The thing is, there has to be demand for it or it will be pointless. I want the full ST-R maxima Kit here including the foglights and whatever else we can get our hands on.

I'd take a kit.
Old 10-20-2005, 10:34 AM

a future project should converting the fogs to HID. believe you'll wonder how you lived without them after you've done it. the beam in the factory fogs need to be moved up slightly to get better coeverage. i moved mine (not soo high as too blind oncoming drivers), and the coverage with HID'd is amazing.
Old 10-20-2005, 01:35 PM

oh one thing about the resistors. when you install them, secure them to the metal of the car, not the taillight assembly, or any other piece of plastic.these things get really hot, even if the signal are on for only a few seconds. i used super glue to secure them to the metal just under the taillight assembly. or you could secure them to the side. also make sure it's in a spot where it won't touch the trunk carpet. you could have you're very own trunk fire going if it touches the carpet when hot.
Old 10-20-2005, 02:15 PM
G37S > I35 > UR Max

oh one thing about the resistors. when you install them, secure them to the metal of the car, not the taillight assembly, or any other piece of plastic.these things get really hot, even if the signal are on for only a few seconds. i used super glue to secure them to the metal just under the taillight assembly. or you could secure them to the side. also make sure it's in a spot where it won't touch the trunk carpet. you could have you're very own trunk fire going if it touches the carpet when hot.
King -

The resistors came in today. I only have one set of resistors because i only bought the LEDs for the front turn signals. Did I need to buy two sets of resistors?????? I am going to install them when I get home. I thought you only had to plug them into the plugs of the car that had the LEDs for turn signals???? A little help here!!!
Old 10-20-2005, 03:52 PM

you 1 resistor for each light that has an LED. i have 4 because all of my turns are LED's, one resistor for each turn signal. does your resistors have 2 wires? if so one wire hooks up to the positive wire of you're turn signal, and the other hook up to the negative wire. i used wire taps from Radio Shack. lemme tell you they look sick when they blink, very attention getting.
Old 10-20-2005, 06:22 PM

LEE I used the resistors for my rear LED signals and they came with wire taps. I don't know if that is the name for them or not, but it is the plastic thing you put your existing wire in and then close the plastic piece and it cuts into the wire and makes a connection. I purchased my resistors from superbrightleds.com They came with instructions. It sounds like maybe yours are different?

If you need me to take pictures of the wiring and resistors for you, let me know and I will. I used 3m double sided tape and mounted the resistors behind the side wall trunk liner on the body of the car.

One thing I would recommend to anyone getting the LED bulbs for the rear blinker is to go with the LED bulbs that have LEDs all around, not just all facing forward. There is a dramatic difference in how bright the signal is during a sunny day when you have LEDs all around. Just FYI.
Old 10-20-2005, 07:35 PM

LEE I used the resistors for my rear LED signals and they came with wire taps. I don't know if that is the name for them or not, but it is the plastic thing you put your existing wire in and then close the plastic piece and it cuts into the wire and makes a connection. I purchased my resistors from superbrightleds.com They came with instructions. It sounds like maybe yours are different?
One thing I would recommend to anyone getting the LED bulbs for the rear blinker is to go with the LED bulbs that have LEDs all around, not just all facing forward. There is a dramatic difference in how bright the signal is during a sunny day when you have LEDs all around. Just FYI.
ditto................
Old 10-21-2005, 02:06 PM

If I end up keeping my car longer than two years, I will definitely have redlinemax do the 6spd conversion and the secret-power-adder
If you guys do get the kit over here make sure to sell it in pieces. I've wanted to get the front lips for a while, but I'm not too fond of the rear skirt(s).

Also, what fogs are you talking about? Are they the body colored ones that look kind of like projectors?

And do you know what this secret power adder is? Maybe a better designed IM? That seems to be the major downfall of the vq35 on the frontdrive platforms.
Old 10-21-2005, 02:11 PM

BTW, the cleared headlights look great! There is no way I would ever consider going back to the amber lens. The car just looks so much cleaner without the orange.

I've got to hand it to you Meta... I'm amaized you have held out this long. We'll get you though. Everyone knows that the cleared indicators look best on black cars
Old 10-21-2005, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by NewLoveI30
Also, what fogs are you talking about? Are they the body colored ones that look kind of like projectors?
those are the one's NewLove. who-ever gets these for me,i will name all my kids after you.
Old 10-21-2005, 05:51 PM
Chassis Freak

To you guys with LEDs bulbs, which bulbs exactly did you order from Superbrightleds/Autolumination and are they bright enough? Do they have more of a "hot spot" where the bulb is or do they fill the housing completely? I know they make those with LEDs aimed for a wide angle but I just want to hear from you how bright they look. Thanks!
Old 10-21-2005, 06:42 PM
G37S > I35 > UR Max

those are the one's NewLove. who-ever gets these for me,i will name all my kids after you.
Watch out there king LOL. I am in the process of trying to get them over here. I have been talking with some dealers in new zealand muwahahahahaha
Old 10-21-2005, 06:44 PM
G37S > I35 > UR Max

If you guys do get the kit over here make sure to sell it in pieces. I've wanted to get the front lips for a while, but I'm not too fond of the rear skirt(s).

And do you know what this secret power adder is? Maybe a better designed IM? That seems to be the major downfall of the vq35 on the frontdrive platforms.
Can't really say what the secret is. Let's just say it will yield alot of horse power.
Old 10-21-2005, 06:47 PM
Got Projectors?

Oh you laugh now. I just got a mod installed today that you don't have
Old 10-21-2005, 07:43 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Looking good.
Old 10-21-2005, 08:20 PM

VQuick: When I first ordered my LED bulbs for the rear, I ordered the bulbs that all pointed one way for both the turn signals and the brake lights. I ended up re-ordering some bulbs that point 360 degrees for my turn signals which made a huge difference in the brightness of the turn signal during the day.

I think I ordered the 360 degree LED turn signal bulbs on Ebay. I would recommend going with these for the turn signals rather than the LED bulbs that only point straight.
Old 10-22-2005, 12:31 PM
G37S > I35 > UR Max

VQuick: When I first ordered my LED bulbs for the rear, I ordered the bulbs that all pointed one way for both the turn signals and the brake lights. I ended up re-ordering some bulbs that point 360 degrees for my turn signals which made a huge difference in the brightness of the turn signal during the day.

I think I ordered the 360 degree LED turn signal bulbs on Ebay. I would recommend going with these for the turn signals rather than the LED bulbs that only point straight.
Oh now you guys say something. Looks like I will have to reorder the turn signals. I ordered mine from VLEDS.com. I am going to check to see if they have the 360 bulbs now.
Old 10-22-2005, 02:40 PM

Lee: Oh damn, sorry about that. I had to live and learn with the LED bulbs as well for the turn signals. Like I said before I did the same thing where I ordered the LED bulbs that all point one direction and then had to order the 360 degree LED bulbs afterwards. My wife was driving behined me one day and when we got to wherever we were going, she said "Your turn signals in the back are very hard to see." That's when I ordered the 360 degree ones and it is much better!

I wish I knew to mention this earlier to you, sorry.
Old 10-22-2005, 09:54 PM

i hate ppl with cars nicer than mine...hehe.jk...you bastard.
Old 10-23-2005, 12:37 PM
Chassis Freak

Oh now you guys say something. Looks like I will have to reorder the turn signals. I ordered mine from VLEDS.com. I am going to check to see if they have the 360 bulbs now.
I actually ordered from vleds.com because I decided their 360 bulbs were the best. The ones I ordered are called Halo Rev 32 (with 32 LEDs). 24 LEDs point back into the reflector and 8 point straight out. They're $20 a pair so I hope they're great! I ordered off their eBay store since eBay sent me an e-mail coupon for $5 off any auto parts/accessories purchase.
Old 10-23-2005, 03:15 PM

My i30 has 1156 in the front turn signals,is this abnormal since is it supposed to have 7440??? also why does all the white led's have a purple tint to them?? any without??

I have blue hid's and i can't find a side marker(194) in a blue/white without being too blue! Help PLEASE! THANKS
Old 10-26-2005, 08:18 AM
G37S > I35 > UR Max

Hey guys with resistors... Where are you placing them in the front of the car??? I am looking for a spot to place mine and I don't know if I should drill holes with screws into the metal or just get double-sided tape. Wouldn't the double sided tape melt if gets to hot???? Need some ideas, I just installed my resistors yesterday since i been driving my other car.
Old 10-26-2005, 08:52 AM

Lee headlight look real good. Been wanting to do that for the longest time , but i know I'll totally mess up the headlights. I just don't like how the amber draws your eyes from the car , but now your front flows real well
Old 10-26-2005, 09:26 AM

You wont mess anyting up. I've opened up my headlights twice and the fogs once and have never run into a problem. I've never used any extra sealent or anything and have never gotten a drop of condensation.

Trust me. It's a little intimidating, but really not hard at all.
Old 10-26-2005, 09:32 AM
大陆弟弟

You wont mess anyting up. I've opened up my headlights twice and the fogs once and have never run into a problem. I've never used any extra sealent or anything and have never gotten a drop of condensation.
When you re-sealed the headlight, does that uniform rubber lining on the outside stay put? Or is it all messed up? Or is that lining NOT the sealant?

Quick Reply: Headlights cleared + LEDS all around = NEW PICS!!