Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

A33 angel eyes-chrome OEM housing

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2005, 05:19 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

A33 angel eyes-chrome OEM housing

Hi everyone,

I had recently ordered the chrome dual halo headlights seen on ebay. I was very bummed when I received them, and they didn't have angel eyes. I had written the seller twice asking about the angel eyes. He told me twice they did have them. He's refunding my money + the shipping cost. So if you order these off ebay be aware the chrome do not have angel eyes.

The black version comes with angel eyes. Not the chrome.

I wanted chrome. Black headlights on a black car are f'ugly IMO.

So.............. I went on ebay and picked up a set of LED angel eyes for $35 shipped. They fit well into our headlights. I took pics the whole way along the install, so I'll be posting a DIY if there's interest on my cardomain page(which I just made).

Well here's the pics:

What you guys think? I think it makes the car look mean.
Old 10-30-2005, 06:06 PM
Got Projectors?

I kinda like it. I'd be interested in seeing how it affects the beam pattern though, seeing as the rings are inside the reflector.
Old 10-30-2005, 06:08 PM

That does look pretty good. Nice job!
Old 10-30-2005, 06:42 PM

Thanks Meta and SiOrange.

Meta-I never thought about that with you guys and your HID. I'm gonna fit MDX projectors in, so I won't have to worry about that. That should make the low beam angel eye visible when low beams are on too.

Beam pattern doesn't appear differently with the halogen. If it is I can't really tell.
Old 10-30-2005, 06:48 PM
Got Projectors?

Ahh, good call on the projectors.

Funny you should mention that. I was driving on a long desolate road in KY tonight thinking to myself that I should retro some projectors. Sigh, boredom can be tiresome and expensive..
Old 10-30-2005, 07:09 PM

That looks sick, I'm definitly interested in seeing what's involved.
Old 10-30-2005, 09:00 PM

Which ones did you order on ebay???
Old 10-30-2005, 09:42 PM

Meta, lol, yes it can. I can't wait to have that super sharp cutoff from the projectors. I don't think you'd need all that much more than projectors and D2S bulbs, you're most of the way there. I gotta start from scratch. I've collected everything except for ballasts and wires. Gotta try to waterjet my shrouds again, they didn't come out centered.

KRRZ350, thanks. I'll get that up within the next week for those interested.

NOC, I got them from this seller. They don't have any up right now. You might want to e-mail him, or just wait till he puts more up.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-A...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 10-30-2005, 09:50 PM
Got Projectors?

Originally Posted by StL I30
Meta, lol, yes it can. I can't wait to have that super sharp cutoff from the projectors. I don't think you'd need all that much more than projectors and D2S bulbs, you're most of the way there. I gotta start from scratch. I've collected everything except for ballasts and wires. Gotta try to waterjet my shrouds again, they didn't come out centered.
Yeah, that's the reason I want them too. I had a S2K pull up alongside on my 4 hr drive tonight, and his cutoff against the median wall was just so nice. It just got me thinking about it again. I think the cutoff I have now with OEM reflectors is sloppy (enough that I don't know how in the hell people live with re-based D2x bulb retro kits in halogen housings!). And you're right, really all I'd need is a set of projectors and and a pair of D2S bulbs and I'd be set. The main problem right now is time and the fact that I'd ideally want an extra set of headlights to perform my hackery upon.
Old 10-31-2005, 09:14 AM

STL I30 - that looks really good, would love to see step by step.
I need a new project to do, this would be perfect. $30.00 for angle eyes can't go wrong.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:05 AM

Man that looks good. Love to see some daylight pics. I put DDE's from umnitza in my altima and they looked awesome, but for $200 and horrible build quality (they don't even work anymore after 7 months) they're not worth it to try and get them working again. But for my I30 to have halos for only $35 is pretty freakin tempting. Did you wire off the parking lights or did you wire from a constant power source in the fuse box and install a switch? Did you order the blue or the white LEDs?
Old 10-31-2005, 11:22 AM

looking good. i like the amber fog lights
Old 10-31-2005, 12:55 PM

Thanks Meta and SiOrange.

Meta-I never thought about that with you guys and your HID. I'm gonna fit MDX projectors in, so I won't have to worry about that. That should make the low beam angel eye visible when low beams are on too.

Beam pattern doesn't appear differently with the halogen. If it is I can't really tell.
that looks great. just beautiful. got a question for you. after you retrofit to the projectors, will you be willing to add the angel rings and projectors to my headlamps? i will pay you for you time, effort, parts etc, etc. i will also send you the headlamps.
Old 10-31-2005, 04:45 PM

nice job...i have a 2000 that id be very interested in doing this too and maybe my 03 max too...that looks hot! post that howto ahora!
Old 10-31-2005, 10:12 PM

bi30- thanks. I'll get that DIY up by this weekend. It's really pretty simple.

below90hz-thanks. I'll show the wiring in the DIY. I quick spliced into the city lights for + & -. Than I installed some weatherproof quick-connects on each so if I do need to take the headlights out it's as simple as pulling the connectors apart. My favorite mod for under $50 so far. These are the white version. They don't appear quite as blue as the pics.

i30ish-thanks, the yellow capsules were my first light upgrade that involved taking lights apart and reassembling them.

kingofsorrow - Thank you for the compliments. I'm very happy with the way they turned out. If everything goes well, I'll definitely consider doing your lights. If you'd like them done sooner, you can try Dr. Roy. He does very nice work. I was going to use him, but after doing the yellow capsules and now the angel eyes, I feel ready to do the projectors. Besides that, with the money I'll save doing it myself, it'll help pay for the ballasts and things. Oh yeah and LED turn signals. I cleared my turns. I threw a chrome bulb I had ordered for my rears, which actually turned out to be the front bulb in. I think LEDs will look even better. I might try that relay someone posted in that thread.

Stalldaworld- thanks. Look for the DIY by this weekend.
Old 11-01-2005, 08:01 AM

stl i30- sorry man with all the questions but i was checking e-bay for the angle eyes is this the one you got?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/UNIVE...spagenameZWDVW
Old 11-01-2005, 09:42 AM

bi30 - not a problem at all. I'm here to help if you need it.

No those are not the correct angel eyes. Those are four same sized rings. You need two big and two smaller ones.

I posted a link to the seller i used above. I've been in contact with him. He is out of stock right now, but expecting more in soon. He's gonna be using a pic or two of my lights, so that should make it easy to pick the correct item when he posts them up. His kit is the one to get.
Old 11-01-2005, 12:41 PM

am I wrong in thinking this can't be done on HID or is HID just the bulb? I'm such a newb when it comes to lights and cars, lol.
Old 11-01-2005, 12:48 PM
Got Projectors?

There's no reason why you couldn't. I'd be worried, however, that the rings might interfere with the beam pattern of the headlights since the rings are located inside the reflector.

STL then mentioned that he was retrofitting projectors in there, i.e., the beam from the projector *should* pass through the rings without the ring obscuring any part of the beam pattern.

Now, all that said, I don't *know* whether the beam pattern would be skewed or anything to that effect. The effect could be huge or it could be negligible. Me, personally, I wouldn't want anything in the way of my headlights, especially not when you're dealing with a light source as intense as the light given off by HID capsules.

EDIT: I want to make clear that what I think STL is doing should turn out very well. I re-read through there and it seemed, in a way, that I was criticizing his plan. On the contrary, I applaud anyone who goes about retrofitting HID the right way (i.e. using OEM HID optics).
Old 11-01-2005, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by MetaOrbit
There's no reason why you couldn't. I'd be worried, however, that the rings might interfere with the beam pattern of the headlights since the rings are located inside the reflector.

STL then mentioned that he was retrofitting projectors in there, i.e., the beam from the projector *should* pass through the rings without the ring obscuring any part of the beam pattern.

Now, all that said, I don't *know* whether the beam pattern would be skewed or anything to that effect. The effect could be huge or it could be negligible. Me, personally, I wouldn't want anything in the way of my headlights, especially not when you're dealing with a light source as intense as the light given off by HID capsules.

EDIT: I want to make clear that what I think STL is doing should turn out very well. I re-read through there and it seemed, in a way, that I was criticizing his plan. On the contrary, I applaud anyone who goes about retrofitting HID the right way (i.e. using OEM HID optics).
Man as much as I want the angel eyes I just don't think I have enough experience with lighting to do this. So I guess I'll just have to stay jealous, lol.
Old 11-01-2005, 03:30 PM

I agree with Meta 100% on the proper HID usage. I understood you Meta.

hey falconey

Like Meta mentioned, I'm not sure how it would effect light output either with factory HIDs. If you can repair your car yourself from that person that hit you, you can do this for sure. You can see what's involved with it when I get the DIY up. Worse case scenario, would be $100-$125 more for projectors & D2S bulbs, if it didn't work out, or just remove the angel eyes and restore them to normal.
Old 11-01-2005, 04:13 PM

Hay i wanna know if there is a how to on this i wanna do this to my car ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-02-2005, 05:04 AM

I agree with Meta 100% on the proper HID usage. I understood you Meta.

hey falconey

Like Meta mentioned, I'm not sure how it would effect light output either with factory HIDs. If you can repair your car yourself from that person that hit you, you can do this for sure. You can see what's involved with it when I get the DIY up. Worse case scenario, would be $100-$125 more for projectors & D2S bulbs, if it didn't work out, or just remove the angel eyes and restore them to normal.
Ok you got me pumped up and motivated now so I guess I'll be eagerly anticipating the DIY.
Old 11-02-2005, 07:32 AM

Hey Stl, You Have Hid In The Headlights??
Old 11-02-2005, 08:26 AM

I really doubt that there would be any noticable difference in beam pattern or coverage HID or not. The rings are close enough to the light source that any shadow would be filled within a few inches of rings.

StL, I look forward to seeing how these mount inside the lamps. I was looking at buying the Umnitza DDE's a while back.
Old 11-05-2005, 04:00 PM

DIY is up on my cardomain site. Page 2. Hope it is helpful.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2161198/2

bi30, I've got halogen right now, no HID.
Old 11-05-2005, 04:08 PM

I wanted chrome. Black headlights on a black car are f'ugly IMO.

Ummmm, I take that back. This car is sick:

I'll try chrome first. That black does look good with that I35 grill though.
Old 11-06-2005, 06:45 PM

stl - how did you get the angle eyes to stay on the housing...?
Old 11-06-2005, 06:52 PM
大陆弟弟

Ummmm, I take that back. This car is sick:

I'll try chrome first. That black does look good with that I35 grill though.

Woah, who's car is that?
Old 11-06-2005, 07:13 PM
Got Projectors?

That would be Kalpesh's.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:18 AM

Thanks STL that looks simple enough.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:52 AM

DIY is up on my cardomain site. Page 2. Hope it is helpful.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2161198/2
StLI30, Thanks for posting that DIY. It sounds simple enough, but I have a couple questions for ya though.

Is the bulb for the turning signal a yellow bulb?
What type of glue did you use to attach the angel eyes?
Is there any concern about the Angel eyes detaching due to the heat from the halogens?

Nice mod...it looks great!
Old 11-07-2005, 10:15 AM

Not a problem falconey.

Hi Clayman,

Thanks!

Original turn signal bulb is clear.

I used superglue. They're still in place a week afterwards. I'm not that worried about them detaching. They'll get hotter in the oven when you're reassembling them, than they do in your car with the lights on.
Old 11-07-2005, 10:28 AM

ok black headlights black car lookey nice me interested now
Old 11-07-2005, 11:35 AM

Original turn signal bulb is clear.
The reason I ask is I'm wondering whether the turning signal would be very visible once its cleared. I've seen quite a few people remove the orange reflector, but I'm wondering if thats dangerous considering people may not be able to see you signal. Is this a problem for those of you that have done this? Thanks
Old 11-07-2005, 11:37 AM
Got Projectors?

Originally Posted by clayman88
The reason I ask is I'm wondering whether the turning signal would be very visible once its cleared. I've seen quite a few people remove the orange reflector, but I'm wondering if thats dangerous considering people may not be able to see you signal. Is this a problem for those of you that have done this? Thanks
Use an orange bulb?

The orange lense does nothing more than color the light. It doesn't enhance it in any way.
Old 11-07-2005, 12:42 PM

Use an orange bulb?

The orange lense does nothing more than color the light. It doesn't enhance it in any way.
Are you asking me if I use an orange bulb? I've never done it before. What I'm wondering is if the people that have cleared their turn signals swap out the bulb or not with a colored one. StL I30 seemed to think the stock bulb was clear.
Old 11-07-2005, 12:59 PM
Got Projectors?

Originally Posted by clayman88
Are you asking me if I use an orange bulb? I've never done it before. What I'm wondering is if the people that have cleared their turn signals swap out the bulb or not with a colored one. StL I30 seemed to think the stock bulb was clear.
Yes, the stock bulb is clear. The solution is to put in an amber colored bulb, or even if you desire, a silver bulb that lights up amber.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:18 PM

I'm currently using a silver bulb that lights up amber. It doesn't appear like the stock clear w/lens did. Alittle dimmer I'd say overall. Not as bright orange either. I'd attribute it to the chrome coating on the bulb. Or maybe I didn't get the best quality chromed bulbs.

They are daytime visible.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:19 PM

Yes, the stock bulb is clear. The solution is to put in an amber colored bulb, or even if you desire, a silver bulb that lights up amber.
Right on...thats what I wanted to know. Thanks, Meta

Quick Reply: A33 angel eyes-chrome OEM housing