Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

New here

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 09:58 AM

Hey, everyone. I'm new to the Infiniti world; I just bought a 1998 I30 which I love so far. I'm undecided as to where to take it for service. I've heard nothing but great things about Infiniti dealers but I also don't want to pay an obscene amount for a service I can get done at a local import shop for less. At the same time, I don't mind paying a bit more for better quality and better customer service. Where do most of you go for service and what would you recommend?

I don't think my problem is related to this, but I'm experiencing some sort of jolt from the transmission on my 1998 I30. It occurs when I'm accelerating and let off of the gas and/or when I'm coasting and give it some gas. It's pretty minor right now but I don't want it to get worse/more expensive. It's an automatic with 118K miles.

I'm thinking it could be torque converter or maybe engine coils. I knew someone with a 1999 Maxima that experienced something similar and needed his coils replaced. Has anyone experienced or heard of something like this?
Old 08-09-2006, 01:18 PM
Mod her. Ate her.

rdcisneros3-

I have made you a new thread. IF I CATCH YOU WHORING TO GET TO 15, YOU WILL NEVER COME BACK. You JUST got off of a ban and you are doing the same thing again.
Old 08-09-2006, 04:01 PM
Armed and Dangerous

Oh man... you really lucked out.

phenryiv1 is a merciful man. I would've just deleted the post and laid down a perma ban.
Old 08-10-2006, 04:12 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally Posted by i30ds
Oh man... you really lucked out.

phenryiv1 is a merciful man. I would've just deleted the post and laid down a perma ban.
He was doing "chime-ins" and was keeping them on topic, but I searched and saw where he had what I thought was a legitimate question, so I made it its own post AND warned him at the same time.

I want to see his question answered, but he needs to follow he rules, as well.
Old 08-10-2006, 06:44 AM

I'm not sure what the deal is here. I posted that once last week and haven't reposted it since. Can you explain what I posted in the last day that was "whoring" so I get the right idea?
Old 08-10-2006, 08:26 AM

Back on topic....

At about the same mileage, I had (what might be) the same thing happening.

The throttle positioning sensor (TPS) needed adjusting and all was fine afterwards.

As far a service goes, It really depends on what needs to be done.

First, start doing your own oil changes if you're not already. The filter is a bit of a pain to get to unless ytou remove the plastic shroud from the pass. side but it's not hard to curl your hand up there.

The filter wrench you need to remove the filter needs to be a small one and even then, I have added a few layers of material to make it tight.

Use good oil. Synthetic is great in mine. Change the air filter too & clean up the engine bay as best you can. Record your change intervals and keep it to 3K miles/change.

Lubricate the sunroof mechanicals with grease being careful not to get it on the headliner or in the car. Repairing the sunroof track is a major undertaking but it is not hard to do. Lubricate it now.

Back to outsourcing the servicing... you do not have a timing "belt". It is a chain and is supposed to last the life of the car. (read: no worries).

I would however have the auto tranny flushed, clutch adjusted if a 5 speed and change the spark plugs. Normally ZI would do that stuff myself but the plugs are not all that easy to get to and I trust that the dealer will do it right.

Same goes for brakes. I can do it however I have the $ for the dealer to do it, not the time for me to do it. I recommend getting some upgraded rotors & pads (see my other posts on this topic). Brakes are an item that I would be ok with letting a non-dealer place do ...but not just any place.

About the dealer...each time I go, I get a sweet loaner for the day. (It's a LOT of fun.) You might too.

Check your spare & jack parts. Know them. Read the manual.

BTW: Welcome on, stay on topic, do not flame. This forum has so much info & different personalities that respecting rules & others is all most of us have in common (aside from the parent mfgr of our cars) & it works pretty well.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:15 AM

Awesome. Thanks so much. How hard was it to check/adjust the TPS? Am I correct in thinking that it's above the gas pedal?
Old 08-10-2006, 12:22 PM

No idea.

I described the issue to the dealer's service writer & he said it was a classic description of the needed adjustment. It was another one of those nagging things that I took care of with several other things while it was in for routine stuff.

(General guessing continues.)
It likely is in a factory service manual and I believe it has to do with setting a certain resistance on the sensor. I do not know if it is done by a screw or by repositioning the sensor itself. Service manuals (I believe) are available on CD on e-bay. Parts stores have books on our car but I can't vouch for the accuracy or even having the TPS adjustment in it.

The Maxima forum may be of assistance (look through it thoroughly first) if no one else chimes in with better info.
Old 08-10-2006, 01:08 PM
Armed and Dangerous

Alright, I give in... I'll bite.

The TPS is not adjustable on the A32... some nissans like the S14 for example does though... but this does not apply to us. No need to worry about that. Also, I don't know if you are stick but 5spd clutch needs no adjustment.

Here is a basic look at the maintenance on the A32:

oil and oil filter- every 3,000 miles
air filter- every 15,000 miles
spark plugs- every 30,000 miles
fuel filter- every 30,000 miles
transmission fluid- every 30,000 miles
coolant- every 30,000 miles
power steering- every 30,000 miles

Thats about it. The only thing that is adjustable on our cars is the base idle which is adjustable by turning a screw on the idle air control valve. The procedure is detailed in the 4th gen stickies. Things like ignition timing are NOT adjustable.

I would check your ecu for the knock sensor ghost code (tripped a code with out showing a check engine light). Don't be suprised if you have a bad one. Checking the ecu is simple and takes a screw driver and 5 minutes. THe details are once again in the 4th gen stickies.

As far as the tranny jolt goes, you are looking at a bad motor mount or tranny mount. Look at each of the four mounts to check their condition. If your tranny mount looks bad, I have one if you want it.
Old 08-10-2006, 03:28 PM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally Posted by rdcisneros3
I'm not sure what the deal is here. I posted that once last week and haven't reposted it since. Can you explain what I posted in the last day that was "whoring" so I get the right idea?
You had not reposted the top part of the post above, but I saw you just "chiming in" on some posts (allowed, in my opinion) and also posting NEW questions in another person's thread. Look at the posts that I moved here- there are 3 sections- all of them are from 3 different posts that you made, and not ONE of them was on-topic for the thread in which you posted them. That is a big

On a better note, here is a thread where I essentially GAVE you an excuse to make 15 posts that are ON-TOPIC, thus allowing you to create your own threads in the future.

Please just take it for what it is- me being nice. Just don't be pushy and ask 47 questions about why the rules are what they are. In just a few more posts, you will be past the 15.
Old 08-11-2006, 04:48 AM

Thanks for clearing that up.
Old 08-11-2006, 04:53 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Thanks for clearing that up.
No problem. Just 6 more posts and you can start new threeads. While you work up to 15, please take some time and read the FAQ sections in the Maxima forum that pertains to your year of I30 (the 4th gen forum), and read our I30 FAQs. You really will see that a lot of beginner questions are answered there.

If you have a real problem, just email me and I can work with you to start a new thread, in an emergency...

patrickhenry@gmail.com
Old 08-11-2006, 07:57 AM

The problems mentioned above may be true, but when I first got my car the transmission jolt surprised me as well. I've owned 2 cars and they were about the same... both were rougher than the other cars I've driven(Camrys, Cressidas, Accords, 4runner, IS300). If it is just the roughness of the transmission, thats the way the car is.
Old 08-11-2006, 08:12 AM
Armed and Dangerous

This is ture... maybe it is just the tranny. We have know way of telling how hard these jolts are.
Old 08-14-2006, 01:06 AM
Go BUCKS!!!

arssa2020, did you read anything in this thread at all?
Old 08-14-2006, 03:08 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

SEmy2K2go
sorry, but i just cannot understand why i cant post a new thread for my question? is it a legit question ?
why i need to post 15 replies in other threads (which i clearly dont know much about since i am new to this privileaged world on Infinit/Maxima owners?????)

i just asked a simple question, is this car a good deal?????????????
Thanks
Old 08-14-2006, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by 96i30azn
The problems mentioned above may be true, but when I first got my car the transmission jolt surprised me as well. I've owned 2 cars and they were about the same... both were rougher than the other cars I've driven(Camrys, Cressidas, Accords, 4runner, IS300). If it is just the roughness of the transmission, thats the way the car is.
It doesn't occur when shifting to a higher or lower gear. It's only when I press or let off of the gas pedal. When I'm holding the gas pedal down, even during hard acceleration, it shifts perfectly. But if I let off of the gas to press the brake it gives a slight jolt. I'm taking it to my local dealer service center in the next couple of days.
Old 08-15-2006, 04:44 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally Posted by arssa2020
SEmy2K2go
sorry, but i just cannot understand why i cant post a new thread for my question? is it a legit question ?
why i need to post 15 replies in other threads (which i clearly dont know much about since i am new to this privileaged world on Infinit/Maxima owners?????)

i just asked a simple question, is this car a good deal?????????????
Thanks
YOU ARE NOT PAYING ATTENTION. I MADE YOU YOUR OWN THREAD! We clearly post the rules, and the reason for the rules.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=486876

READ READ READ!

Do it again and you are gone for GOOD!
Old 08-15-2006, 05:11 AM

Interesting. My earlier suggestion was specific to the upshift when I had a smiliar problem. Your additional detail sounds like it could be something as simple as low tranny fluid ...which begs the question of where it went, if so.

The "TPS not being adjustable" on the A32 (from i30ds) seems to contradict what was on the service document I got that day but I'd probably trust i30ds over what some service personnel tell me anyway.

I agree, take it in & see if there's someting amiss. If not, it's just the way it operates.

For you to be still hanging on in here and working to gain more info on something so significant to you, I bet there's something up with it.

Take it in & report back young Skywalker.
Old 08-15-2006, 08:20 AM

Hmm..tranny fluid. Looking through the previous owner's service records shows that it's about 15K miles past the interval for tranny fluid change. I'm getting that done this week, hopefully it is something that simple (read: inexpensive).
Old 08-15-2006, 08:37 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Hmm..tranny fluid. Looking through the previous owner's service records shows that it's about 15K miles past the interval for tranny fluid change. I'm getting that done this week, hopefully it is something that simple (read: inexpensive).

I woudl really check my fluid, and even if it is not low, get it drained and filled. You don't even need to spring for a "power flush" or anything fancy- just have a shop drain it and fill it and report how that affects the performance.

This process will not change 100% of the gunk and sediment in the transmission, but it will get a lot. Wait a month or so and do it again. I know it sounds costly, but watch how it is done the first time, then do it yourself if you feel comfortable with the process. It is a lot like changing oil, but you have to be a little more careful about being dead-on with the fill level.
Old 08-15-2006, 09:39 AM
Armed and Dangerous

Originally Posted by Double E
The "TPS not being adjustable" on the A32 (from i30ds) seems to contradict what was on the service document I got that day but I'd probably trust i30ds over what some service personnel tell me anyway...
Yeah... Its definately not adjustable. FSM states that if it is out of specs, it must be replaced. On some Nissans, like the S14, the TPS can be adjusted by turning it. Trust me.