Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

Upgrading from the Spec Discussion (Split from the A33 3.5 HLSD Swap Thread)

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by phenryiv1
At the end of the year, I am upsizing from the Sentra. I'd do it if I had a backup car to drive while I tried it, but right now I don't have the cash to buy the busted I35 as a starting point.
What are you looking to get?
Old 03-07-2007, 04:53 PM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally Posted by 99BlackMaxMS
What are you looking to get?
List so far...MazdaSpeed6, Legacy GT, TSX, or A33 3.5, or G35X (auto FTL)...
Old 03-07-2007, 10:39 PM
Armed and Dangerous

I'd go for the 3.5 A33 w/ the 6spd.
Old 03-08-2007, 06:19 AM
Got Projectors?

List so far...MazdaSpeed6, Legacy GT, TSX, or A33 3.5, or G35X (auto FTL)...
Given those options I'd have a Mazdaspeed6. The 3 sitting in my garage is a blast to drive and the 6 is pretty fun too. I can't imagine what AWD + turbo would be in that chassis.

I'm moving more and more toward becoming a Mazda fanboy everyday...
Old 03-08-2007, 06:26 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally Posted by MetaOrbit
Given those options I'd have a Mazdaspeed6. The 3 sitting in my garage is a blast to drive and the 6 is pretty fun too. I can't imagine what AWD + turbo would be in that chassis.

I'm moving more and more toward becoming a Mazda fanboy everyday...
Finding one is the problem. Price on them is actually favorable, especially in the AWD pack. The 5.5 has a BIG price advantage, but it is also the most likely to have high miles, and I cannot really see me in a 6th gen.

I am leaning toward buying a "certified" used (after my experiences with the Spec), which will mean that I have to buy at a dealership and will overpay, but the peace of mind is worth it. Not having to worry about anything on the Pilot for the next 70K except oil, gas, washer fluid, air filters, and brake pads is a huge relief.

At the end of this year, I stand a pretty good chance of finding a MS6 on a lot, and since few people realize what they are, pricing (so far) has been favorable. If I could afford it, the G35X would be a nice pull. I am only considering a 5.5 out of brand loyalty. I like the looks of the I35 over the Maxima, but losing the MT is a big deal to me- plus all of them are too old to be "certified."
Old 03-08-2007, 06:56 AM

well, the spec was known to have a lot of problems ( i know the 2k2s were, not sure bout 2k3.... im sure they had that problem with metal screws and stuff)

but buying a high mile 5.5 gen shouldn't be much of a concern. most known/common problem has a solution somewhere here on the boards (minus the oil consumption). the price is GREAT for what the car is. I bought my 5.5 gen 6 speed with everything except hlsd (i wish i got this) and navigation, 58k miles, for 11,500. runs great. price is great.

IMO, 5.5 gen maxima is the best bang for the money.
Old 03-08-2007, 07:21 AM
Got Projectors?

Finding one is the problem. Price on them is actually favorable, especially in the AWD pack. The 5.5 has a BIG price advantage, but it is also the most likely to have high miles, and I cannot really see me in a 6th gen.

I am leaning toward buying a "certified" used (after my experiences with the Spec), which will mean that I have to buy at a dealership and will overpay, but the peace of mind is worth it. Not having to worry about anything on the Pilot for the next 70K except oil, gas, washer fluid, air filters, and brake pads is a huge relief.

At the end of this year, I stand a pretty good chance of finding a MS6 on a lot, and since few people realize what they are, pricing (so far) has been favorable. If I could afford it, the G35X would be a nice pull. I am only considering a 5.5 out of brand loyalty. I like the looks of the I35 over the Maxima, but losing the MT is a big deal to me- plus all of them are too old to be "certified."
Sorry to hear about the Spec having problems. My buddy had an '05 Spec-V that just always had something wrong with it. He just traded it in on a Mazdaspeed 3. He couldn't be happier now.

Around here there are a lot of Mazdaspeed6's on lots. They don't seem to sell well around here. I think I've only ever seen one that was owned/driven; all the others for sale on dealer lots around town.
Old 03-08-2007, 07:30 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally Posted by AnDyMaN
well, the spec was known to have a lot of problems ( i know the 2k2s were, not sure bout 2k3.... im sure they had that problem with metal screws and stuff)

but buying a high mile 5.5 gen shouldn't be much of a concern. most known/common problem has a solution somewhere here on the boards (minus the oil consumption). the price is GREAT for what the car is. I bought my 5.5 gen 6 speed with everything except hlsd (i wish i got this) and navigation, 58k miles, for 11,500. runs great. price is great.

IMO, 5.5 gen maxima is the best bang for the money.
HLSD is a necessity. I have a 100 mile commute, and the nature of my job requires that I be available or at work regardless of weather conditions. (I work at an emergency operations center for the Department of Homeland Security.)

I am not that worried about the miles- all of my Maximas and my I30 have ended up w/ 100K or more on them without real problems, but the majority of the reason that we sold the 5th gen was a fear of things STARTING to go wrong from that point on.

In hindsight, I should have traded the Spec, but it had just had the engine replaced under recall less than 3K before we got the Pilot.

I'd keep the Spec, but it is terrible in the snow, even with top-rated A/S tires (snow tires are an option, though). Also, I drive my daughter around in it a lot more than I thought that I would, and I just don't feel the safest with her in that car, because it is so small. I have been in 3 major wrecks in A32/33s, and I felt very safe in all 3. That is why I want to upsize, and hence why the options that I listed are a true "midsize" car. I'll sacrifice a few MPG for the safety.

Originally Posted by MetaOrbit
Sorry to hear about the Spec having problems. My buddy had an '05 Spec-V that just always had something wrong with it. He just traded it in on a Mazdaspeed 3. He couldn't be happier now.

Around here there are a lot of Mazdaspeed6's on lots. They don't seem to sell well around here. I think I've only ever seen one that was owned/driven; all the others for sale on dealer lots around town.
Yeah, mine has a new motor, a new alternator, and a new battery, all at under 60K. Long story on the alt/battery, but I am not impressed with the reliability. It is a blast to drive, but long-term, I need to dump it. Unfortunately, I will take a huge hit when I sell/trade it.

I am seeing MS6 models (05-06) for $18-23K now. By the end of the year, $16-21K should be the norm. I'll jump on a sub-$19K MS6 in a heartbeat. I just want the "base" model with cloth (though the seat heaters might be nice). Other than that, I don't have any complaints about them, except I think that the stock 18s look like crap. I'd rather have the 6s or RX-8 17" rims than those crappy things...
Old 03-09-2007, 05:37 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Made this a seperate thread to keep the A33 swap thread clean.