Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

Bought Nav Antenna, but Still No Connection

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 06:26 PM

Bought Nav Antenna, but Still No Connection

So I bought an antenna off ebay that had the exact connector to fit into the back of the nav unit. I still have no signal.

Any thoughts? Any at all? Please?

Here's what I bought:

Old 08-07-2008, 09:12 AM

Plug looks good if I remember correctly. You might need to reset the nav to "see" the antenna. Try that out first before returning the part.

Might check car-part.com for a junkyard swap
Old 08-07-2008, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Norkoastal
Plug looks good if I remember correctly. You might need to reset the nav to "see" the antenna. Try that out first before returning the part.

Might check car-part.com for a junkyard swap
How would I go about resetting the system? unhook the battery for a minute or two?

I also use car-part.com a lot. Its a very good source for parts, but unfortunately they're fresh out of nav antennas.
Old 08-07-2008, 02:57 PM

is it a factory nav system or aftermarket?
Old 08-07-2008, 03:27 PM

^^ Factory.... In addition to unplugging the car for 10 minutes or so, I do think there are a couple menus within the nav software itself to calibrate it.. I'll need to check the manual, but if you hav the tech service I35 PDF guide, a nav section is included.
Old 08-07-2008, 06:13 PM

^^ Factory.... In addition to unplugging the car for 10 minutes or so, I do think there are a couple menus within the nav software itself to calibrate it.. I'll need to check the manual, but if you hav the tech service I35 PDF guide, a nav section is included.
I don't have a service manual. I was wondering though - I've seen "front and rear" antennas for our cars. Know anything about this?

Also, there are 2 unused connection ports on the back of the navigation unit. I've got my stereo installed and working and the nav unit works (with the exception of getting a GPS signal of course). There are a total of 5 connections on the back of the unit; 2 white (used by power/stereo connections for voice guidance) and 3 grey connectors (one is used by my new non-working gps antenna) What are the other 2 gray connections used for?

***BREAKING NEWS***

I just noticed that in the "GPS information" menu, it does have green satellites, and it can give me the longitude and latitude, it just won't show me moving when Im driving. Any thoughts? (Also, I do NOT have all the wires connected - could there be a speed sensor wire or something of that nature that I need to connect?)

Last edited by ZGadson; 08-07-2008 at 06:23 PM.
Old 08-07-2008, 06:27 PM
Got Projectors?

Originally Posted by ZGadson
I don't have a service manual. I was wondering though - I've seen "front and rear" antennas for our cars. Know anything about this?

Also, there are 2 unused connection ports on the back of the navigation unit. I've got my stereo installed and working and the nav unit works (with the exception of getting a GPS signal of course). There are a total of 5 connections on the back of the unit; 2 white (used by power/stereo connections for voice guidance) and 3 grey connectors (one is used by my new non-working gps antenna) What are the other 2 gray connections used for?

***BREAKING NEWS***

I just noticed that in the "GPS information" menu, it does have green satellites, and it can give me the longitude and latitude, it just won't show me moving when Im driving. Any thoughts? (Also, I do NOT have all the wires connected - could there be a speed sensor wire or something of that nature that I need to connect?)
Pretty sure there's a VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) wire that needs to be connected. It tells the nav that the vehicle is moving (would fix your problem) but also prevents the you from entering things into the nav while you're moving.
Old 08-07-2008, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by MetaOrbit
Pretty sure there's a VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) wire that needs to be connected. It tells the nav that the vehicle is moving (would fix your problem) but also prevents the you from entering things into the nav while you're moving.
Im thinkin you called it ..
Old 08-08-2008, 04:11 AM

Would you be able to look in your service manual and see where this VSS wire could be, and what color it is?
Old 08-08-2008, 06:14 PM

Check PM ^^
Old 08-09-2008, 05:42 AM

Thanks for the service manual, I can definately put it to good use, although it doesn't specify locations for everything. I can see what color the vehicle speed sensor wire and the park/neutral position switch wires are, but does anyone know where I can find the wires?

(Could the speed controled volume on the stereo be using the speed sensor wire...?)

Last edited by ZGadson; 08-09-2008 at 05:45 AM.
Old 08-10-2008, 03:06 PM
Donating i30 Owner

2x post srry

Last edited by HomerMAC; 08-10-2008 at 07:37 PM.
Old 08-10-2008, 03:21 PM
Donating i30 Owner

The OEM system uses VSS / Gyroscope for low speed/turn/reversing/ lock the program when car is in motion. Uses the ILLUMINATION signal for buttons and dimming screen.
The GPS is used mostly at high speed becuase it is more accurate in such event. also for elevation etc. when you enter the setup screen there is a whole bunch of GPS related info you can find out including EXACTLY where you are on EARTh... elevation etc.

VSS output can be found behind your cluster... or tap into by the ECU

you might have the wires in location possibly if you have the i35 but just wrapped up.

also the OEM GPS antenna is only 40$ something dollars... thats what i paid from everything nissan...

there is another antenna for infiniti-link...(similar to mercedes SOS system) but reare to find on an infiniti esp. one that is active.

phatg20.net is where you can find FSM(factory service manual) and it DOES specify where things are you have to open the PDF labled FWD then navigate to where you need. each section had the schematic, wiring diagram, COMPONENT LOCATION, workflow etc.

the speed sensitive VOL is based on ambient sound in the cabin.

and there is a sensor on the trany neutral position switch which can tell you the cars gear status.. if your looking to use this to notify your car about reverse then you can tap a small line into your reverse light.

you need to go into the trans axle section of the FSM.. then navigate to component location.. and this way.
Old 08-10-2008, 04:45 PM

Why does the Nav system need to know when I'm in reverse? And what is "Infiniti-link?"
Old 08-10-2008, 07:24 PM
Donating i30 Owner

Why does the Nav system need to know when I'm in reverse? And what is "Infiniti-link?"
OH correction the NAVI needs the signal from the speedometer not straight from the VSS i didnt realize how i stated it above.. VSS sends raw data, the ECU gets info from Speedometer you need to tap that line at the speedometer or by ecu the line going from spedometer > Ecu

and the navi system needs to know when you going in reverse because it needs to track you on the map..... the vss can tell speed of the wheels but not which way its turning.. so if you back up at 5 mph.. the car will think your going 5 mph forward instead of backward.. so when teh switch sends signal it tells navi its going back... if you leave this disconnected and drive around. even going in and out of your driveway it will throw off the tracking.. you car depends heavly on the VSS/gyro when your going slow... which is why OEM systems are faster cause they dont rely on the GPS calculations.. cause it can calculate how far you went via speed/gyro angle more accurate than GPS. which means if your not running stock wheels etc. then you will have to adjust your navi system in the setup screen to conform to your larger/ smaller wheels.

Infiniti-Link is like onstar for infiniti. It wasnt their most popular option. acutally its practically impossible to find a car with it... it was offered in teh past and pretty much they can track your car, and by pressing the "link" button you can access an operator and they can help you incase of emergency . and the voice of the operator would come through your speakers like the navi voice. and there is a mic car so they can hear you. This is why most infinitis are prewired for phones... even my 96 is wired for this... this antenna for this is located on teh rear deck of the car for the a32 models... its a seperate system from the navi completely... only thing that they have in common is that they share a radio..

By the way did you get the system to start up yet and recognize the antenna?

ANY PICS? and which system are you using? the popup lid system or the one with the Temperature controls on them? i would love to see some pics of the work.. you can email them to me if you dont want to post.

npabraham@gmail.com

Last edited by HomerMAC; 08-10-2008 at 07:49 PM.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:45 AM

I took some more picts of my install the other day when I was playing with it (looking for the stupid speed sensor wire, etc) Im planning on making a whole write up with picts when Im totaly done, so when I do, I'll start a whole new thread and post a link here.

I do have a few install picts posted in a different thread already, so here's that link:

http://forums.maxima.org/infiniti-i3...i35-picts.html
Old 08-11-2008, 04:46 PM

GPS only need the VSS, gyro, reverse info for dead-reckoning function. This is used when satellites are not visible such as in tunnels or downtown where tall buildings shield satellites from view.

http://www.roadmapgps.com/glossary/dead-reckoning.shtml

Individual GPS unit implementation may require these signals to be present before they navigate. For instance, I have a Garmin Streetpilot 2650 with dead-reckoning function but this unit will work without the VSS and reverse signal being connected.

As for antennae, some require 5V and some require 3.3V-5V supply. Most GPS in cars output 5V to the antenna. 5V antennae may not work with battery powered units outputting 3.3V at the antenna port.

Last edited by SVI30; 08-11-2008 at 04:50 PM.
Old 08-11-2008, 04:58 PM

You would think though, that without being connected to the reverse wire, that my car would still be able to navigate. Accuracy would be off, but it would still try to navigate.

I ran the diagnostics test (where you hold the MAP and DIM buttons at the same time). All the lights were green - navigation signal was ok, screen function was ok, and antenna was found to be connected. If all the lights were green in the diagnostics, why no green satellite symbol on the main nav screen? Does it not try to navigate without the speed sensor connected even though its got a signal? (That would imply that when you're at a stop, the satellite symbol is grey because you're not moving, then green when you start moving?)

Last edited by ZGadson; 08-11-2008 at 05:02 PM.
Old 08-11-2008, 05:14 PM

You would think though, that without being connected to the reverse wire, that my car would still be able to navigate. Accuracy would be off, but it would still try to navigate.

I ran the diagnostics test (where you hold the MAP and DIM buttons at the same time). All the lights were green - navigation signal was ok, screen function was ok, and antenna was found to be connected. If all the lights were green in the diagnostics, why no green satellite symbol on the main nav screen? Does it not try to navigate without the speed sensor connected even though its got a signal? (That would imply that when you're at a stop, the satellite symbol is grey because you're not moving, then green when you start moving?)
The Nav unit needs to know whether you're going forwards or backwards. So it does need reverse signal for dead-reckoning.

Not quite sure how the 5th gen Nav unit work but my Lexus factory Nav does have a similar calibration process. Nav designers normally would use some preset logic such as last known heading etc.
Old 08-12-2008, 08:20 PM

O. M. G. It. WORKS.

Still can't believe I actually got it to work. On a scale of 1-10 (10 being the most difficult mod) I give this a 9. Replacing an engine might be harder. MIGHT be. Im not sure.

I'll post a write-up/picts when I have time.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:52 PM

Good for you.

Here is how my A32 look.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...8/I30dasha.jpg

Although the Garmin Streetpilot 2610 has an internal antenna, I mounted an external antenna just above the rear view mirror, along with the handsfree mic. Power was tapped from the 4th gen phone harness near the shifter. This version has no dead reckoning function. A 2650 in another car has dead reckoning but not used.

The beauty of after market unit is that you can input waypoints and routes before the trip and export track data after the trip.

I have factory Nav in two other cars but still bring a Garmin on any extended trip.

The iCruze is an iPod interface made by MonsterCable. It uses the CD changer buttons on the HU to select songs. The cable connector is in the arm rest.

The Nokia bluetooth handsfree box was mounted in the right side kick panel near the Bose amp relay to mute the audio when a call comes in.
Old 08-13-2008, 05:35 AM

Nice!

I went on a road trip with my cousin once and she took her Tomtom thing. Those new little bastards are pretty much dead on! Pretty nifty little gadgets, but I still like my built-in nav. No need for wires all over the car.
Old 08-13-2008, 10:16 AM

Nice!

I went on a road trip with my cousin once and she took her Tomtom thing. Those new little bastards are pretty much dead on! Pretty nifty little gadgets, but I still like my built-in nav. No need for wires all over the car.
Finally got eh VSS hooked up?? Does it lock the screen when moving?? That is my only beef with our Nav units.. I need to get an override module but dont want to gut the nav open just yet.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:07 AM

Finally got eh VSS hooked up?? Does it lock the screen when moving?? That is my only beef with our Nav units.. I need to get an override module but dont want to gut the nav open just yet.
Yep! Locks the b!tch up the second I put it in drive. Bastards...

But look at my new thread - I posted picts of my install.
Old 08-13-2008, 03:52 PM

Put in a switch on the VSS line. When you want to set something on the Nav, toggle the switch.
Old 08-13-2008, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by SVI30
Put in a switch on the VSS line. When you want to set something on the Nav, toggle the switch.
Z Gad... Was the wire easy to locate? You didnt include any details on the last steps you took to wire it up.. I would be open for the VSS on/off switch..
Old 08-13-2008, 04:35 PM

Z Gad... Was the wire easy to locate? You didnt include any details on the last steps you took to wire it up.. I would be open for the VSS on/off switch..
I never thought about a switch for that - might have to try it sometime!

And yes, the wire was easy to find once I'd remembered how easy it would have been to get to it - The radio is the key. It uses the VSS wire for volume control. I tapped into that wire right behind the stereo and it immediately registered a VSS signal when I put it in reverse and took my foot of the brake. It was as simple as conneting the red/black wire from the nav unit to the red/black wire going to the stereo. Color coded wires really are a wonderful thing.