Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

Anyone Else here crack up when Maximas are more $$$ than the I35's...

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 10:35 AM

Anyone Else here crack up when Maximas are more $$$ than the I35's...

Cracks me up... Not that our cars are that different by any means, but I'm talking about cloth interior, non nav, not heated seats/wheel, no sunroof Maxi's a grand + more than fully equipped I35's... Makes me feel I got a steal everytime I drive the thing....
Old 10-01-2008, 11:45 AM

gotta love supply and demand man.
plus i heard infinitis lose their value faster than nissans
Old 10-02-2008, 02:07 PM

stuff happens
Old 10-02-2008, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by gvrules518
stuff happens
lol wut?
Old 10-02-2008, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by McSteve
Great for us! Buy a few years old and save yourself alot of money for a better car.
Old 10-03-2008, 06:54 AM

Finally! Someone else agrees with me! I knew I wasnt crazy. Go to Kelly Blue Book and find the value of a Maxima and an I35 with the same features and miles, and the Maxima will be about $500 more every time. Why is that though?

Last edited by ZGadson; 10-03-2008 at 07:07 AM.
Old 10-03-2008, 09:49 AM

probably because maximas are simply in higher demand. did anyone here buy their I30 new? I personally think spending a couple thousand dollars more just to buy essentially the same car is not really justified. Plus maximas probably have a reputation of being reliable cars, and a lot of people might not now that I's and maximas are the same thing.
Old 10-03-2008, 01:03 PM
Got Projectors?

probably because maximas are simply in higher demand. did anyone here buy their I30 new? I personally think spending a couple thousand dollars more just to buy essentially the same car is not really justified. Plus maximas probably have a reputation of being reliable cars, and a lot of people might not now that I's and maximas are the same thing.
I bought brand new

I think as far as used values are concerned, it's probably more reputation more than anything. "Maxima" has a certain brand equity developed from years and years of selling Maximas in this country in large quantities and also that they're pretty decent cars for the money. I30/I35s were sold in relatively smaller smaller numbers and not that well known. People tend to desire more what they already know.

Like you said, most people have no idea that the I30/I35 are practically the same car, but almost everyone has heard of a Maxima. I've always gotten blank looks when I've told people I have an I35.
Old 10-04-2008, 07:45 AM

guess why im driving one? lol anyway i didnt even bother to look for infinities bcus i thaught i will never find one the price i got mine for and then outta nowhere i found a this one and i just cudn pass the idea of driving a car without any options so i baught this.. one but now i wish i got something sportier....
Old 10-04-2008, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by dineth00i30
guess why im driving one? lol anyway i didnt even bother to look for infinities bcus i thaught i will never find one the price i got mine for and then outta nowhere i found a this one and i just cudn pass the idea of driving a car without any options so i baught this.. one but now i wish i got something sportier....
I dont see any "sport mods" on your list... Thought about dropping it with adjustables?
Old 10-06-2008, 06:35 AM

^^^^^ i was really thinking about getting some coil overs, and i actually found some for llike 600-850 range but decided im going to save my money and get an EVO X ( hopefully ). but i was reading this thread about this guy who just installed progress RSB, so i think im going to get a RSB and a FSTB. i will still be able to feel a diff with my stock suspension right?

BTW: a local guy is selling his Cattman Y-pipe ( about 10,000 miles) for a great price and if he still have it bi will buy it end of this week.
Old 10-06-2008, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by MetaOrbit
I bought brand new

I think as far as used values are concerned, it's probably more reputation more than anything. "Maxima" has a certain brand equity developed from years and years of selling Maximas in this country in large quantities and also that they're pretty decent cars for the money. I30/I35s were sold in relatively smaller smaller numbers and not that well known. People tend to desire more what they already know.

Like you said, most people have no idea that the I30/I35 are practically the same car, but almost everyone has heard of a Maxima. I've always gotten blank looks when I've told people I have an I35.
IE, the Ford 500. The worst thing Ford ever did (at least in the recent past) was ditch the Taurus name. Taurus was Ford's flagship car, and no one knew what the hell a 500 was, so it didn't sell. Even though they've since slapped a Taurus badge over the 500, its still not selling.

Last edited by ZGadson; 10-06-2008 at 11:20 AM.
Old 10-06-2008, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by dineth00i30
^^^^^ i was really thinking about getting some coil overs, and i actually found some for llike 600-850 range but decided im going to save my money and get an EVO X ( hopefully ). but i was reading this thread about this guy who just installed progress RSB, so i think im going to get a RSB and a FSTB. i will still be able to feel a diff with my stock suspension right?

BTW: a local guy is selling his Cattman Y-pipe ( about 10,000 miles) for a great price and if he still have it bi will buy it end of this week.
Yup the back end will be tighter and feel "pulled down" over big bumps where the car would float. The FSTB will help out flexing over curving onramps and other side to side quick, snappy flexes. Should be a nice upgrade, but springs/struts offer a more noticeable gain in performance.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Norkoastal
Yup the back end will be tighter and feel "pulled down" over big bumps where the car would float. The FSTB will help out flexing over curving onramps and other side to side quick, snappy flexes. Should be a nice upgrade, but springs/struts offer a more noticeable gain in performance.
that is very nice to hear. i dont think i will change the springs and struts bcus i really dont plan to keeep this car for long. I found used progress RSB and a used generic FSTB. both of them for 120 from the guy that was going to sell me the y-pipe. he sold the y pipe to someone else BTW.

i would love to get G35 wheels like you have tho. hehehe
Old 10-07-2008, 11:25 AM

lmao. Way to hijack your own thread.
Old 10-07-2008, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by trent.davis23
Great for us! Buy a few years old and save yourself alot of money for a better car.

+1
Old 10-07-2008, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by ZGadson
lmao. Way to hijack your own thread.
Self hijack...
Old 10-09-2008, 09:35 PM

maybe because maximas are better

Old 10-09-2008, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by Drockb418
maybe because maximas are better

LoL I was waiting for one of these to pop in here... Seriously the value aspect of the cars is the topic not which is "better." Only real differences are the 5speed, body, and location of build.

I live in CA which is Maxima capital of earth.. All gens fly by me every day of the week... At least 5 on the way to work (2 miles). Lots of old I30's and 35's starting to pop up as the price is making these more affordable to pick up second hand.
Old 10-17-2008, 09:58 AM

I bought brand new

Meta! I had the silver I35, we used to see each other around campus. You had a loaner G and we kinda raced onto I-40 from UT. Remember me? I'm now on my second I35; this one is black like yours.
Old 10-18-2008, 11:49 AM
Got Projectors?

Originally Posted by SlyI35
Meta! I had the silver I35, we used to see each other around campus. You had a loaner G and we kinda raced onto I-40 from UT. Remember me? I'm now on my second I35; this one is black like yours.
Second I35? Uh-oh, what happened to the silver one?
Old 10-18-2008, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by ZGadson
IE, the Ford 500. The worst thing Ford ever did (at least in the recent past) was ditch the Taurus name. Taurus was Ford's flagship car, and no one knew what the hell a 500 was, so it didn't sell. Even though they've since slapped a Taurus badge over the 500, its still not selling.
Lol, that's cause that car SUCKS!

Why buy some stodgy Ford when you can get a Chrysler Hemi 300 if American cars are your thing. I mean, Mercedes chassis, tranny, etc.
Old 10-18-2008, 03:37 PM

Totalled. Like, ridiculously totalled. I'm lucky I'm alive; that car was a total POS anyway (had been wrecked badly before I got it), and the airbags didn't even work.

My black one is MUCH better. 111k and runs like new. Looks new too.

I may have seen your car in the commuter garage the other day. Do you have q45 mirrors?
Old 10-18-2008, 03:42 PM

Old 10-18-2008, 03:50 PM
Got Projectors?

Totalled. Like, ridiculously totalled. I'm lucky I'm alive; that car was a total POS anyway (had been wrecked badly before I got it), and the airbags didn't even work.

My black one is MUCH better. 111k and runs like new. Looks new too.

I may have seen your car in the commuter garage the other day. Do you have q45 mirrors?
Ouch. That sucks. Otherwise, yes, I occasionally park in that garage, and, no, they're not Q45 mirrors, but they look similar. They have LED turns, puddle lamps, and they do the motorized folding thing.
Old 10-18-2008, 04:48 PM

wow really interesting, I never thought about that
Old 10-22-2008, 06:13 AM

The I is going to be cheaper because they don't even make them anymore and they were only made for about a decade if that so there's no brand name.
Old 10-28-2008, 02:40 PM

I need led turns for myself
Old 10-28-2008, 03:20 PM

This is HIGHLY debatable. Considering that the early Infinitis were built much better than the US built Nissans, I have a hard time believing this.

When I went shopping for another 4th gen, I found Maximas all over for much less than comparable I30s.

I think a lot has to do with the fact that many consumers don't know that Nissan makes Infiniti. They also don't know that the Infiniti line is manufactured and imported from Japan.

I personally don't like the look or feel of the I35. Throttle lag killed any possibility of me buying one.
Old 10-28-2008, 04:21 PM
Got Projectors?

Originally Posted by Sentientbydesig
I personally don't like the look or feel of the I35. Throttle lag killed any possibility of me buying one.
Any throttle lag I ever experienced was cured with a TSB that replaced the MAF and flashed the ECU with new software. It's driven no differently than any 5.5gen Maxima I've ever driven
Old 11-03-2008, 05:58 PM

If only I could write term papers on why the I35 is arguably one of the best used cars you can get, period.

Old 11-03-2008, 06:13 PM

If only I could write term papers on why the I35 is arguably one of the best used cars you can get, period.

A. It's a Nissan Maxima with even better quality control.
B. Infiniti service
c. motor
D. quality

I still love how my almost seven year old I35 turns heads when it's clean; sometimes when it's not.
Old 11-09-2008, 07:22 PM

Thats simlar to what happened with my G35. When I was looking two years ago the maxs were way more than the G by over 5K for the same year car. lol

evo
Old 11-20-2008, 06:48 AM

I've seen this also. When I was in the market for a car, I was looking for the 5.5 gen Max. I thought the I35 would be more expensive because of the brand and features. When I found an I35 for less than what I was seeing as the going rate for the Max, it was a no-brainer.
Old 11-21-2008, 11:37 AM

Why its more expensive?

i35 sport package with navi (i.e fully loaded) VS 5.5th Gen TE 6Spd HLSD w/navi. Which one would you get??

I made the mistake and got an i35, I want more performance than what its really worth. For the luxury its good.

Plus like someone mentioned a few posts back, the I doesnt exist anymore, wonder why? lol
Old 11-21-2008, 01:08 PM
Got Projectors?

Originally Posted by din9lebeRrY
Why its more expensive?

i35 sport package with navi (i.e fully loaded) VS 5.5th Gen TE 6Spd HLSD w/navi. Which one would you get??

I made the mistake and got an i35, I want more performance than what its really worth. For the luxury its good.
For a daily driver, FWD sedan? I35 every time. For performance I'd look to a different platform altogether.

Plus like someone mentioned a few posts back, the I doesnt exist anymore, wonder why? lol
Because Infiniti was moving to an exclusively RWD/AWD lineup, because the G35 was the waiting replacement, because Infiniti was trying to move away from selling rebadged Nissans.
Old 11-23-2008, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by evo626
Thats simlar to what happened with my G35. When I was looking two years ago the maxs were way more than the G by over 5K for the same year car. lol

evo

That brings me to something I was meaning to inquire about on here:

I would venture to say that the 02-04 G wasn't especially reliable compared to the rest of the lineup; I hardly see any Gen 1 G35s around.

Lol I still see lots of '96 I30s around however.
Old 11-23-2008, 02:06 PM

For a daily driver, FWD sedan? I35 every time. For performance I'd look to a different platform altogether.

Because Infiniti was moving to an exclusively RWD/AWD lineup, because the G35 was the waiting replacement, because Infiniti was trying to move away from selling rebadged Nissans.

And lol, I couldn't have said any of that better myself.

I know this is subjective, but I am still smitten with the I35's appearance. It's just so clean, looks WAYYYY more expensive than it is, classy stock rims, etc. Every one I see on the road I'm always checking it out. I wish I could get ahold of a blue one.

And I know some of you are like "oh, well he just says that cause he has one.." ...nope, always felt that way.

Back in '01 when I saw the first one on the street (silver on black like my first one), I lusted over it big time.

And I guess I'm not the only one, cause people still compliment and think I'm driving some 45k 2 year old Infiniti. Too bad they killed it (even though I know the REAL reason why they did), because that '09 Maxima practically turns me on it's so good looking. (Like, I know the G37 is the better car, but I'd almost rather have the max cause it looks wayyyy better), and I don't even wanna know how Infiniti would tweak this platform if they still made the I35!!
Old 11-23-2008, 02:21 PM

I'm always forgetting that the VAST MAJORITY of people out on the street have absolutely no idea the I35 is a rebadged Max. It pays to know a thing or two about cars. The next car I want is first gen, '03 Infiniti M45.
Old 11-24-2008, 04:49 PM

And I guess I'm not the only one, cause people still compliment and think I'm driving some 45k 2 year old Infiniti. Too bad they killed it (even though I know the REAL reason why they did), because that '09 Maxima practically turns me on it's so good looking. (Like, I know the G37 is the better car, but I'd almost rather have the max cause it looks wayyyy better), and I don't even wanna know how Infiniti would tweak this platform if they still made the I35!!
I35r. Supercharged or turbo'd (Nissan seems to prefer turbos), RWD, in dash nav, direct competitor w/ cadillac cts.

yeah right...but rwd or awd would be nice, but if it was awd it wouls just be a legacy. hmm. i could live with that.

Quick Reply: Anyone Else here crack up when Maximas are more $$$ than the I35's...