Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

Steel brake lines ?!?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009 | 11:42 AM

Steel brake lines ?!?

The brakes on my 98 I30 have a spongy feel, and I guess everyone also feels similarly. I was about to get new rotors and pads from importrp group deal, and I got a suggestion back from Mike that in order to have better initial bite, I gotta upgrade the rubber brake lines to steel brake lines.

I'm just wondering if anyone upgraded to steel brake lines, if yes, how do you feel the braking ? Does it feel similar to braking on BMW or G35s ?!?

If not, I might as well get the Axxis Ultimates ... but i'm worried abt the brake dust n the need to clean the zillion-spokes wheels on this I30.
Old 12-02-2009 | 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by flthere
The brakes on my 98 I30 have a spongy feel, and I guess everyone also feels similarly. I was about to get new rotors and pads from importrp group deal, and I got a suggestion back from Mike that in order to have better initial bite, I gotta upgrade the rubber brake lines to steel brake lines.

I'm just wondering if anyone upgraded to steel brake lines, if yes, how do you feel the braking ? Does it feel similar to braking on BMW or G35s ?!?

If not, I might as well get the Axxis Ultimates ... but i'm worried abt the brake dust n the need to clean the zillion-spokes wheels on this I30.
You will never get a brake feel like anyone of those cars, atleast with stock brakes. Stainless steel lines will reduce a spongy feeling pedal and the pads you suggested can give you a slightly better initial bite.
Old 12-07-2009 | 11:35 AM

Looks like not many have upgraded to SS lines. Cleaning the A32 I30 stock wheels is a big pain, hence I decided to get the less-dusting Deluxe pads. I'm not convinced to spend hundred bux on the steel lines. Maybe there is air in the brake lines that might cause the spongy feel to some extent. Just getting the brembo blanks.

I'm, like everyone, too surprised to find out that I have been replacing the rotors+pads every year ..., the stock ones that come with car lasted just toooo long in comparison. But then I was living in the snow belt the past 2 yrs which may have resulted in more wear n tear of the brake parts.
Old 12-12-2009 | 04:26 PM

Yeah, my padel is spongy, its very hard to figure out if im on it too much or little. Thats one of things I HATE about my car. Heavy car with weak brakes, not a good deal.
Old 12-12-2009 | 05:38 PM

Our car is nothing compared to how spongy the FX is, it gets very annoying.
Old 12-20-2009 | 08:06 AM

spongey brakes

I been having spongey brakes isssues ever since I got my maxima.

for instance:
1.when I step on the brakes I can go far down thru what appears to be air befor actually engaging the brakes.
2.Once the brakes are engaged and they are stopping the car My foot can CONTINUE going down nearly to the floor.

This is horrible compared to cars that immidiately engage upon stepping on the brakes.

I spent about 12 hrs altogether inspecting these things, and Im about to change to SS also.

First I bleed all the brakes in the expected order, furthest from master cylinder to closest (RR, LR, RF, LF). changed the bleeders at nissan after fighting with the old stripped bleeders. That didnt change anything.

Then I bled them in the FSM X order. (RightRear, LeftFront, LeftRear RightFront i think). That didnt change anything.

Next I checked the pads and The left rears were low as **** so in changing that I checked the RR piston and made sure its moving in and out easily. It turned Clockwise & Counterclockwise very easily with a tool to grab hold on the notches. Put on new pads, and didnt bleed it cuz I did that **** already last week.

Next I checked the RR. The pads were about 1/3 worn, so they were still fine. THe f**kin Piston tho was a b**ch!! It would not budge when attempting to turn it. additionally the rubber housing on it was stuck to t and could have ripped while turning. After fighting with it, I tried to step on the brakes to push it out and realized that **** was stuck and with excessive force I was able to push the whole piston out. The piston had rust eating away at it right where the rubber meets it. Used sand paper to get rid of it. Put it back in and it rotated EASILY back snug into the housing. Put on New Brake pads and bleed all the air out of there bled that **** about 12x checking the cylinder of course (the piston openning was exposed in the rain for about 20min while cleaning the piston.)

Drove the car around the block in the snow, and the brakes still suck!!!!

Im gonna check the front brakes when the 9inches of snow subsides, but now Im considering upgrading to SS also!!! Its SPONGEY. and after engaging the brakes it STILL GOES DOWN!! is there any specific brand?? Is there another bleeder near the master cylinder?? What else can i do thats affordable???
Old 01-12-2010 | 04:47 PM

I have had the same issue with my 98 I30t about the poor braking. First change all the calipers and switch the rubber lines to stainless steel. Next purchase a good brake pad and rotor combo. I went with centric slotted rotor with akenbono brake pads. Bleed the brake system several times following the correct bleeding of each wheel first,second,third and fourth. Then break in the brakes and you r gd to go. Most people complain of a spongy pedal is usual due old or worn braking parts.