Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

i35 Steering wheel control

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 03:17 PM

i35 Steering wheel control

EDIT: I solved the problem (about 6 months after buying the dumb adapter). The AXXESS harness clips into the cars stock harness. Problem here is for some reason the ground doesnt match up. I cut the ground and grounded it myself to the car's frame. Works like a charm now

Hey, a few months back I installed a nav HU and a steering wheel control adapter that I picked up at Best Buy (ASWC). The adapter says its compatible but I havent been able to get it to work. I'm thinking theres a chance I installed it in the wrong place on the radio? Anybody else have this issue

Radio is Sony sony xnv-660bt

Rear shot of the inputs on the radio
http://www.imountek.com/ebay/Sony_XN...ge_06_ebay.jpg

Diagram/install instructions:
http://www.docs.sony.com/release/XNV...l_EN_FR_ES.pdf

Thanks!

Last edited by pat6290; 10-09-2012 at 10:29 AM.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:45 AM

Im gonna try to help. Whats the model # of the steering control adapter? Also I looked at the pdf of the install and couldnt tell if this model comes with a remote. Also does the back of the navi unit have a jack to plug the control adapter to. I installed one of these in a Honda a long time ago to a Pioneer navi, and it had a input to plug the control adapter into. It worked but not perfect like the factory.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:45 PM

Its the Axxess AWSC. The Head Unit has a remote control that works fine..its what ive been using but I want the steering control for easy access

The Unit has a jack and on the install guide it says "remote, adapter sold separately".. Im assuming this is where the adapter plugs in to

The adapter (ASWC) and Unit are compatible according to the site, its also compatible with my car. I've re crimped the wiring and it still doesnt work. I also shaved the plug down to make it fit and that didnt work. The unit doesnt begin flashing at all which means it could be defective...i'm going to swap it out and see if that works but I was wondering if anyone else had tips. It cant be the 12V ACC crimp because I have the radio and adapter wrapped together and then crimped with the harness and the radio works. I've grounded the brown cable from the harness like it says on this forum and connected the others
Old 05-14-2012, 10:43 AM

I took a look at the install. Doesn't seem to hard. I dont see why you would have to shave the plug down to make it fit, it should push right in, plug in the male 3.5mm connector of the ASWC into the back of the aftermarket radio, designated for an external SWC control interface. Does your car have the 16 pin harness, or is it a different harness?? Which wires did you use from the ASWC when you connected it to the harness? It seems like you would need to use the black, red, grey/red, and white/green. All the others should just be taped up. So basically you're connecting 4 wires from the ASWC to the vehicle harness. It also says to connect pin 11 from the vehicle harness to ground.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by Nuffstylez
I took a look at the install. Doesn't seem to hard. I dont see why you would have to shave the plug down to make it fit, it should push right in, plug in the male 3.5mm connector of the ASWC into the back of the aftermarket radio, designated for an external SWC control interface. Does your car have the 16 pin harness, or is it a different harness?? Which wires did you use from the ASWC when you connected it to the harness? It seems like you would need to use the black, red, grey/red, and white/green. All the others should just be taped up. So basically you're connecting 4 wires from the ASWC to the vehicle harness. It also says to connect pin 11 from the vehicle harness to ground.
Sorry for the late response...yup i did all that, grounded the brown wire. A few days ago I re did the wiring and still nothing...the way I see it is that as long as the red cable (12V acc) is working then it should still fire up and display error codes but it doesnt do anything. I know the 12V is right because I tied it to the 12V on the radio and then crimped it with the cars 12V wire. This means that as long as the radio turns on (which it does) then power has to re-direct to the ASWC

Im going to try going to best buy and swapping units...hopefully this is just a dud

as for shaving the cable..its a tip i found online...didnt work
Old 05-18-2012, 09:11 AM

yeah, hopefully just a dud. Good Luck
Old 10-09-2012, 10:29 AM

I solved the problem (about 6 months after buying the dumb adapter). The AXXESS harness clips into the cars stock harness. Problem here is for some reason the ground doesnt match up. I cut the ground and grounded it myself to the car's frame. Works like a charm now