Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

Breaking in New Catalytic converter

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 09:48 PM

Breaking in New Catalytic converter

Getting my cats replaced this week.
How do you break-in the new cats?
Just drive around or idle for a few mins?

The new cats are by Eastern.
Old 02-22-2017, 04:30 AM

Not sure I've ever heard, read or otherwise been informed that catalytic converters require any level of break-in.

What exactly does the break-in accomplish?

To me, this is kinda like asking "how long does it take for my new beer stein to break-in?"
Old 02-22-2017, 08:12 AM

Cats don't require a break in. Just drive the car. If you want to keep your cats clean, add 3 ounces of TCW-3 to a tankful of gas every other month. It seems that our cars love this stuff.
Old 02-23-2017, 12:18 AM

Well, Eastern recommends break in. But it sounds simple -
http://www.easterncatalytic.com/educ...ture-problems/
Old 02-23-2017, 10:32 AM

Good info to know. I had 2 cats put into 2 other cars, but never had a problem. However, I didn't drive a long distance right after they were installed. Possibly the installers did this before I got the car back.
Old 02-23-2017, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by PH98I30
Good info to know. I had 2 cats put into 2 other cars, but never had a problem. However, I didn't drive a long distance right after they were installed. Possibly the installers did this before I got the car back.
Related question -
when you replace the front precat that's on the front of the car, do you have to take out the manifold?
Do you have any pics.
A Mechanic pointed to the o2 sensor/heatshield and said he'll have to work on the manifold to get the cats out.
Old 02-24-2017, 08:04 AM

When my cat was replaced, my mechanic said he idled the car for a bit and this is something he always does with new cats.
Old 02-24-2017, 09:34 AM

I believe the 2 pre cats are fixed in the y-pipe and the whole y-pipe has to be replaced. Do a search in the 5th gen & 4th section for Maxima's about replacing the y-pipe or pre cats. There should be write ups in there. Our I30's are very similar to the Maxima when it comes to the engine. Also, you need to know if you have a Fed or California emission system.
Old 02-24-2017, 09:42 AM

More Info-
One thing you need to know (it sounds like you do) is that the car has 3 catalytic converters on it. I am going to assume that your car was built for California emissions.

Two of the cats (the pre-cats) are in the exhaust y-pipe coming from the engine. The third cat is after the y-pipe roughly below where the passenger sits.

Code P0420 is for the bank 1 half of the engine, which is next to the firewall. This pre-cat is built into the y-pipe, so the y-pipe must be replaced.

Code P0430 is for the bank 2 half of the engine, which is next to the radiator. This pre-cat is a separate piece that bolts in between the exhaust manifold and the y-pipe. If you were able to get a Warpspeed y-pipe, this pre-cat would not be replaced by it.

There are no codes for the main catalytic converter that is located after the y-pipe.

If you do decide to get parts from a junk yard car, the exhaust system is the same as the Maxima uses. There are probably more Maximas than Infinities.

The problem you have with mechanics is that they don't like to put parts on cars that the customer has purchased. When the mechanic sells you the parts, they mark-up the price, sometimes even double the price.

There are mechanics that you can hire by the hour. Usually they prefer that you buy the parts. Finding one is difficult, especially a competent one. One place you can find them is on Craigs List, but there are probably more bozos than good guys. Maybe you can finds ads in the free cars for sale newspapers at the grocery stores.

Another possibility is a local trade school. They sometimes take in outside work. The same goes for high school shop programs if you can find one.
Old 02-25-2017, 03:04 PM

When you replace the radiator side precat, do you have to remove the heatshield?

I can only see 2 bolts on the heat shield. Removed the 2, but the heatshield is still on.
Old 02-27-2017, 10:47 AM

Ok. I took 3 bolts off. The heat shield is loose.
But can't seem to get it out.