Maximas for Sale / Wanted Have a Maxima that you want to sell? Looking for a Maxima? Let the world know about it. Be sure to include your location in the description!

FS 1984 turbo 5-speed maxima West Palm, florida

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 01:18 PM

FS 1984 turbo 5-speed maxima West Palm, florida

1984 Maxima (turbocharged)

Sold...........sad to see it go.....I miss it already.

This car is a high mileage (271,000) car that is in relatively good condition.

The floors have zero rust holes and the entire unibody is solid.

The interior is ugly but complete with semi-dirty cloth seats and dirty carpets. (I'll snap another pic of interior to add here later)

The engine is the stock high mileage L24e that I just added the stock 280zx turbo manifolds to but am running the stock injectors and non-turbo engine management system but........I did use the 1982 280zx non turbo ecu and air flow meter so it is possible that this works better than the L24e stuff but it was replaced because one of both items had failed.

The fuel pump is a 280zx turbo unit (about 8 years old rather than 24)

Since the injectors on the maxima L24e and the L28e from a 280zx non turbo are the same size, it is possible that the 280zx ecu allows a wider pulse width since I've not burned a piston in 50,000 miles of daily driving.

The ball joints are new but fit loose in the control arms which makes lane changes more fun than they should be.

Tires are balding but no cord showing 215/50-15s on 1984 300zx 15x6.5 wheels which don't rub and the wheels did not require any spacers to fit the car.

That being known, it seems 240sx application wheels should also bolt on which makes for a lot larger selection of aftermarket wheels but I haven't tried them.......I think they will work.

225/50s would be better replacements and I don't think they would rub either but the stock 300zx size 215/60s did rub.....they're just too tall.

The rack is not bombed out and it has new boots on it.

All power windows work and A/C worked until compressor seized.

Hoses were cleaned and I have new reciever dryer in box and a functional compressor with a good clutch/bearing combo swapped over to it......just never installed it since it is winter.

I've daily driven this car for the last 50,000 miles after fitting the turbo to it with no troubles other than the automatic finally dying.

It was replaced with what I had which is a noisy maxima manual tranny with a used up act 4 puck clutch and grooved flywheel.

I have the proper length 5 speed driveshaft but the front joint causes huge vibration so the slightly shorter driveshaft out of certain automatic models is in now but I've had no troubles with it.

It shudders upon clutch engagement because of the old grooved friction surfaces but most likely still has more grip than a stock clutch.

Rear e-brake cables removed because they were frozen but front section and lever action is smooth.

This car appeals to a very small niche of people and really is a good starting point for either a monster L28et sleeper or a full restoration that would require less work than most any other maxima I've yet seen.......at least at this price.

Some spare parts.........which the rest of the pics at the two links will show why.

I also have a pristine sunroof panel same color.

Also included is a brake hardware kit for the front brakes (nissan....new in packaging)

Super stealth infinity kappas in the rear under stock covers but stock in the doors on a stereo put in the tape player's location such that the original stereo is unmolested.

R200 (3.54 though a 3.9 would be a much better match with the 5 speed but that's what I have) using s12 r200 mount.....it's bolt in using 280zx c/v type axles.

Yes I took it to the drags and I found a victim to race that would see this view so another check in the win column.

The state of the cap, rotor, plugs, and wires brought down my usable revs by 1000rpms so it should be a bit faster when tuned and the 3.54 instead of the stock ratio of 3.73 probably hurt it a bit.

Timeslip posted in timeslip's section at 15.819 or so.

The full good, bad and ugly is shown in the pics in these two zip files because my internet is done through tethering my desktop to a blackberry and sporadic service dictates I don't try to upload each pic individually to my host or I will end up insane.

$500 for everything.

sparkus@att.blackberry.net

princemakaha@yahoo.com

Last edited by HowlerMonkey; 03-28-2009 at 02:46 PM.
Old 02-23-2009, 03:56 PM
Turbo 4th Gen

damn ol skool if you wasnt so far i'd consider this