Maxus Archives Discussions From Past Maxus Meets

Who would be willing to come in a day early for Maxus for a road course track event?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 01:01 PM
STFU n00b!

Who would be willing to come in a day early for Maxus for a road course track event?

I'm trying to get some road course time set up, and I'm not having any luck getting it for Sunday. They are having a regional PCA event at Texas World Speedway that weekend, and most of the local instructors will be at that race, so the tracks aren't willing to run then.

I've talked to the track manager at Texas World Speedway, and he can let us run on Friday, June 10, BUT I need to come up with 30 people...

The jist of it:
~4 hours of track time (YES, FOUR HOURS!)
two run groups, novice/beginner and experienced. 30 min sessions per run group.

cost will be $180 per car. (plus hotel in College station, food and gas)
I realize that's a huge chunk of money for some of you guys, but this is 3-4 times the track time of the previous event that has fallen through.

As said above, I've tried everything I can, and this is the ONLY road course event I can come up with. I'm still planning on doing a 1/8 mile drag event AND a dyno meet on one of the other nights as well, but the exact times will depend on what's happening with the road course.

For those interested, you will need to get to College Station on Thursday night. it's about 3.5 hours south of Dallas, so I highly recommend staying at a hotel in College Station on thursday for the event, then afterwards we will all head up to the Dallas area and the rest of the weekend there.

so who will be willing to pay $180 for the road course event?
At this point, I'm looking for FIRM committments, people that will actually be going and paying the money, not just people that think it's a good/bad idea.
Old 04-14-2005, 05:58 AM

I'm pretty sure I'm down for this one. It'll be tough to have to be down there on a Thursday, but I think I can do that. 4 hours is a lot of track time I can't pass up! I have a couple of buddies with a race yugo and a m3/turbo type R that are pretty interested as well. I'll keep you posted.
Old 04-14-2005, 05:21 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Hey Matt, we talked the other day. I'd LOVE to but it's about a 12h drive and that'd mean 2 days off work. Not sure if I'll even attend the event since the road course would be one of the main reasons I'd want to make that long of a trip.
Old 04-15-2005, 06:16 PM
Maxima.org Insomniac

I Would be interested in this, but I have a feeling your not going to get the 30+ people needed... Unless you guys invite other car groups to shore up our numbers.

But a bigger concern of mine is will my car hold up with stock brakes? I have slotted rotors and steel lines, but is that sufficent for a high speed road course? Im willing to buy a good set of track pads and change there, but beyond that I don't have the money for anything better.

Also what kind of safety equipment will be required? I have a helmet but its an old motorcycle helmet thats almost as old as I am.
Old 04-15-2005, 11:18 PM

Matt93SE on Luquire's computer.........................

I've already talked to the local Z clubs and such and have invited them as well. having 30 people won't be a problem.

stock brakes will be fine assuming you have some good track pads. hawk HP+ or black or Porterfield R4-S or something to that effect will be fine. This track isn't incredibly hard on brakes

As for safety gear, generally they require a 95+ rated helmet, whether M95+ or SA95+.. plus long pants, long sleeve cotton shirt- the usual for track days. Once I determine if there's enough interest in the track event, then I'll let you know the specifics required.
Old 04-16-2005, 07:49 AM
Maxima.org Insomniac

So what configuration would we be getting for this road course event?
Im thinking those who are going can vote on it or something.

TWS track configurations

I would want to do the 2.9 or 3.0 mile road courses, unless there is a better configuration.
Old 04-18-2005, 10:13 PM
STFU n00b!

the 2.9 mile counterclockwise is the standard course for days like this. AWESOME course. The only time they don't use that course is if EVERYone at the event has plenty of experience and wants to run something different.
Old 04-19-2005, 06:14 AM
Maxima.org Insomniac

Yeah the 2.9 mile road course looks pretty mild, but fun. Lots of wide turns and there are no sharp corners. I hope my car can make it down there and back in one piece.
Old 04-19-2005, 06:25 AM
STFU n00b!

yeah, the slowest corner on the track is the carousel at about 45mph..
fastest one is turn 7.. you're going into a hard left that's in the valley between two hills.. it's also banked about 10 degrees on-camber, so you hit the thing flat out at about 110mph and just hope you don't lose your lunch..
Old 04-25-2005, 06:38 PM
Maxima.org Insomniac

What about the stuff in our cars? The people who have to stay at the hotel, were gonna have to check out Friday morning. Im guessing we get to take all the lose stuff and tools out of our cars at the track?

Also Im getting the hawk HP pads for my car, would it be better to change them before I leave home and drive 1900 miles or change them before the road course event?
Old 04-25-2005, 06:53 PM
STFU n00b!

Stuff in your cars isn't a problem. There is TONS of paddock space at the track and you can just pile it up there. I'm assuming all you'll really have is a suitcase or so, plus the general travel stuff (spare tire, some tools, etc)..

not a problem at all to pile up in the paddock.

brakes.. check the instructions on the pads for bedding in. Some of them require bedding in and a day or so to cure once they're bedded.. If that's the case, then you'll need to change them before you head out. If you can run the pads green (straight out of the box), then there is no problem changing them at the track.. just take it easy your first session and you'll be good.
Old 04-26-2005, 04:12 PM

I just started a new job so timing is sucking hardcore for me momentarily...